• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (4 Viewers)

It's quite a thing to have a compact that perform so well. I've heard "game changer" and now "life changer".

An observation: The Victory 8x25 has very vocal proponents on this forum! I've been reading threads [1] on the Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 (B) as it appears a close match. There are more people saying it is very good than there are for the Zeiss [2], and the same enthusiastic Victory supporters keep popping up in each thread.

From which I conclude the number of Zeiss owners is much smaller than Swaro Pocket owners.

Gijs, yes I saw your reviews when originally researching compacts, although finding a way to easily translate was a bit of a challenge.

For next time, https://translate.google.com/ has a "Documents" option which allows you to upload a PDF and get it translated.

Going by memory I got the impression that the [Swarovski] CL 8x25 came out top in your [Gijs's] review.
That was how I read the translation too. It also matches with the general opinion on these forums, if the number of people saying good things can be taken as an indicator.

Eventually I will find both in stock in the UK and see why so much fuss is made about the Victory Pocket 8x25 by some. Or not ;)

Footnotes
1. Threads I've read on the CL 8x25

2. Including at least one person who says that about every new pair they own...

Last edited:
All things approximately equal (in terms of quality of view), the Zeiss has the (significantly) wider view. That was the deal-maker for me.

I feel that ergonomics and focus could also be a deciding factor. I wonder e.g. if the focus of the Zeiss will loosen a bit over time. The Swaro focus seems to be already quite loose from the start, which makes it a bit easier to focus. Regarding the ergonomics, I can get used to the Zeiss, but it's a bit of a change.

An observation: The Victory 8x25 has very vocal proponents on this forum! I've been reading threads [1] on the Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 (B) as it appears a close match. There are more people saying it is very good than there are for the Zeiss [2], and the same enthusiastic Victory supporters keep popping up in each thread.

From which I conclude the number of Zeiss owners is much smaller than Swaro Pocket owners.

Swaro is without doubt the market leader of premium binos so your theory may well be correct but there can be other explanations for your data.

For example owners of the Victory Pockets may be outside and enjoying their binos so much that they don't have time to post on Birdforum.

Lee

Sedgemoor, post 261,
No the Seagull ED came not out on top in comparison with the Swarovski and Zeiss 8x25, that is the problem with translation probably. What I wrote is, it can very whell compete with them and I have given them an equal final judgment, but one has to decide by reading the tables etc. whether all details are to your liking.
Gijs van Ginkel

In the end of the afternoon I have used my pocket against direct low sun, impressive how the pocket handle this situation : very few flare, contrast is kept at a high level.
In real life with challenging light, the zeiss is really really good.
Also the hinge design is remarkable : you really have the feeling to handle a mid size bin.

Sedgemoor, post 261,
No the Seagull ED came not out on top in comparison with the Swarovski and Zeiss 8x25, that is the problem with translation probably. What I wrote is, it can very whell compete with them and I have given them an equal final judgment, but one has to decide by reading the tables etc. whether all details are to your liking.
Gijs van Ginkel

Sorry Gijs, that is not what I was trying to say. I was saying that from the translation it sounds like you may have preferred the Swarovski to the Zeiss. Re-reading the PDF I got the idea from how a couple of words are translated. So I retract my supposition.

In the end of the afternoon I have used my pocket against direct low sun, impressive how the pocket handle this situation : very few flare, contrast is kept at a high level.
In real life with challenging light, the zeiss is really really good.
Also the hinge design is remarkable : you really have the feeling to handle a mid size bin.

Agree on all points.
The handling on these compacts is something that really sets them apart. I can't imagine any dual hinge or even most single hinges that could compete. Let alone the ease and quality of view.

Swaro is without doubt the market leader of premium binos so your theory may well be correct but there can be other explanations for your data.

For example owners of the Victory Pockets may be outside and enjoying their binos so much that they don't have time to post on Birdforum.

Lee

Well Lee, as it turns out I'm still finding time to bang on about them ha ha.

From which I conclude the number of Zeiss owners is much smaller than Swaro Pocket owners...

The Swaro 8x25 has been on the market for significantly longer, so more people have had a chance to try or buy it. Also, Swarovski advertises/promotes their 8x25, whereas I've not seen the same from Zeiss.

I think any critical judgement about the quality/capability, whether considered absolutely or relatively, should come from examination of the binoculars and their design/specs, preferably in side-by-side direct comparison, not by the number of people who say that they like them. My extreme enthusiasm for the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is based on my considerable experience with a great number of the very best birding binoculars, including all of the top-end x20 and x25 models. You don't have to take my word for it--I'm just reporting my evaluation in case anyone is interested to check these out for themselves.

I'm happy to say again that in my experience the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is not only far-and-away the best x20 or x25 pocket roof ever made, but that it is among the great birding binoculars of all time, regardless of format.

--AP

Last edited:
All things approximately equal (in terms of quality of view), the Zeiss has the (significantly) wider view. That was the deal-maker for me.

I feel that ergonomics and focus could also be a deciding factor. I wonder e.g. if the focus of the Zeiss will loosen a bit over time. The Swaro focus seems to be already quite loose from the start, which makes it a bit easier to focus. Regarding the ergonomics, I can get used to the Zeiss, but it's a bit of a change.

The FOV spec of the Zeiss is what got me interested in giving it a try. I was also interested in it as a viable substitute for an 8x20 as a compact and light-weight bin. The Zeiss has a mass of 287 g, whereas the Swarovski 8x25 is substantially more bulky (than e.g. the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL), with its larger center bridge and mass of 345 g.

Sounds like the focus on your Zeiss is stiff, which is not a good thing given the small diameter of the focus knob. Mine has been very low tension and very smooth from the start (and has remained the same after considerable use). Perhaps you should consider having yours serviced.

--AP

I continue to be astonished by the view from these. So bright and crisp, a true mini alpha, usable well into the fading light too.

What doesn't impress me too much are certain aspects of the fit and finish, hopefully they are mechanically solid but on mine the black paint on the metal near the focus wheel is already peeled off to show bare metal, it literally just wipes clean off if you rub it.

I continue to be astonished by the view from these. So bright and crisp, a true mini alpha, usable well into the fading light too.

What doesn't impress me too much are certain aspects of the fit and finish, hopefully they are mechanically solid but on mine the black paint on the metal near the focus wheel is already peeled off to show bare metal, it literally just wipes clean off if you rub it.

I suggest you contact East Coast Bino Repairs who are the official service centre for Zeiss Sports Optics UK and speak to Gary about this. Sounds like you have a warranty claim.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I don't think I'm too bothered about it as yet as it's only cosmetic. I've actually just touched in the bits with a black Sharpie pen, ridiculous I know.

My dealer has finally received the Habicht 8x30 and the new CL companion 8x30, so I was able to make some comparisons...

*** Ease of view ***

CL 8x30 has maybe a slightly easier and immersive view than the Pocket, however I have added Field Optics winged eyecups to my pocket and in term of immersive view they are now equal, Habicht 8x30 has the less ease of view

*** Handling ***

CL 8x30 has a nice handling, definitely larger than the pocket, for my way of use I prefer the Pocket because of its compact form factor, Habicht is quite big in the hands by comparison

*** Focus ***

well the CL was disapointing, the focus was not smooth at all compared to the Pocket, you focus more quickly and easily with the Pocket (also way nicer focusing feeling), the Habicht in direct comparison has really a stiff focus

*** CA ***

Pocket is better than CL, I feel Habicht and Pocket has the same amount of CA, really impressive

*** Flare / glare ***

Pocket again is better than CL, with direct sun light Pocket keeps it contrast easily, Habicht is the worse

*** Contrast / sharpness ***

Habicht is the brighter, also more contrast, maybe a bit sharper

*** Lifelike experience ***

At this step, I have lost the idea to buy the CL 8x30, definitely not a keeper compared to the Pocket (and 400 EUR more expensive!).
It was a strange experience, image in the Pocket was bigger than the Habicht and so switching directly from the Habicht to the Pocket the view was more easy with the Pocket, certainly a difference due to porro vs roof, Habicht was more 3D compared to the Pocket but I expected bigger differences (I was testing close up view), in the end because of the ease of view, larger image, I prefered the view thru the Pocket... even if the Habicht had a more lifelike experience

*** Summary ***

Pocket is a keeper, definitely, and the least expensive... Really a true Victory in miniature, add some winged eyecups and it becomes almost perfect, well done Zeiss !

We may be loving and boosting the reputation of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory too much. I notice in the USA that the regular price jumped from $750 to $820.

--AP

Happy birthday to me! My wonderful wife gave me a pair of these today. I am impressed. Expectations were pretty high, and they did not disappoint. Very bright sharp image. Focusing is great, as are the ergonomics. Very light and easy to use one-handed. They work well for me braced with the eye-cups out, and with sunglasses and the eye-cups in.

The case... if they are going to make it this big, just make it a little bigger so the binos don't have to be collapsed! It's either too big or too small. I'm probably in the minority on the strap, but I think it seems nice. I wouldn't want much less if I was going to wear them hiking for a few miles. Otherwise, I'll just throw them in a pocket with no strap. I rarely use the strap with my EL's anyway- preferring to use a holster of some type.

Need to spend more time with them, but my initial impression is they offer most of the performance of my Swaro 8x32 EL's, in a nice grab-and-go size. I'll use these a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back