• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Austria in July (2 Viewers)

Mike Pennington

Registered Member
I'm off to Austria in July. Not really a birding trip (taking my Mum and Dad to see some mountains) but I hope to see some stuff.

I'm staying at Zell-am-See and my target species, in increasing order of unlikelihood are:

Alpine Chough (I assume this will be easy).

Snowfinch (believe this should be straightforward on Grossglockner)

Citril Finch (could be quite tricky in July)

Rock Thrush (again, I might be late)

any woodpeckers except Middlespot and Syrian (which I assume are more lowland anyway)

any owls (I would think that an Eagle Owl stakeout is the only real option)

Rock Partridge (apparently just about impossible)

Any sites for these, or any other good sites, would be appreciated.

I've been to Grossglockner 4 times in July and seen Snowfinch twice - both times in snow. Alpine Chough is regular on Grossglockner - you can get them to come to food at the 'top,' although it's food that people are throwing to the Marmots!

Each time I was on an organised coach trip so only had the allotted time available at certain stopping points, so I can't give details about all of the area but it must be a prime location if you've got time.

If nothing else there should be a fine range of Alpine butterflies around as fine weather is an absolute 'must' - the road can be closed, even in July, when it snows.

I was just going to post, then I relised Adey's link is to my trip report. Thanks Adey!!
Mike. I hope there is some info in my report that help. If you have any questions just ask.

Vipers said:
I was just going to post, then I relised Adey's link is to my trip report. Thanks Adey!!
Mike. I hope there is some info in my report that help. If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks Adey and Vipers.

Details on the Balck Wood sites would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back