• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Mammals - Tuscany/Abruzzo NP (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
Hi

I’m in the very early stages of planning a week in Italy in October, 2010.

Whilst I am a birder, my main interest is mammals and I’m particularly interested in seeing a Crested Porcupine. I understand these animals are relatively easy to see in parts of Tuscany. Is there any particular place where I have a good chance of seeing one?

Alternatively I’m considering spending a week in or near the Abruzzo National Park. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has visited this area. Is there any decent accommodation inside the park? Abruzzo Chamois and Marsican Brown Bear would be the main targets. Is October too late to look for these species?

Apologies for so many questions. I would greatly appreciate any information.

Last edited:
I find that porcupines are tricky things to see, it has taken 6 years of living here to see my first live one(Many dead on road). Yet others turn up for a couple of days and get lucky. They are totally nocturnal and I have never seen one before midnight. When you are in Tuscany will be your best chance as they do not occur down the central mountain spine of Italy. Just watch out for the quills when you are out on a day to find a lightly spot.

I have never really taken to Abruzzo so can not comment.

Mark

Last edited:
I find that porcupines are tricky things to see, it has taken 6 years of living here to see my first live one(Many dead on road). Yet others turn up for a couple of days and get lucky. They are totally nocturnal and I have never seen one before midnight. When you are in Tuscany will be your best chance as they do not occur down the central mountain spine of Italy. Just watch out for the quills when you are out on a day to find a lightly spot.

I have never really taken to Abruzzo so can not comment.

Mark

Hi Mark

I plan to do lots of night driving in suitable habitat, and even then I guess I would need to be very lucky. One in six years doesn't sound very promising!

Spotlighting would probably be the best way to find one, although I would need to research the legalities of using one in Italy.

Many thanks

Don't worry about the spotlight as nothing is illegal in Italy.... That is to say that there are a lot of laws but no one follows them as the chances of being caught are a bit slim :). The one thing I would worry about is the other people that might be out hunting, a large number of people are accidentally shot here every year, take care.
Mark

Don't worry about the spotlight as nothing is illegal in Italy.... That is to say that there are a lot of laws but no one follows them as the chances of being caught are a bit slim :). The one thing I would worry about is the other people that might be out hunting, a large number of people are accidentally shot here every year, take care.
Mark

Thanks. I will try to avoid getting shot.

Years ago I visited Reserve Bosco Rocconi, near Roccalbegna, maintained by a local birdwatcher Ricardo Nardi. We saw two pairs of breeding Lanners, and he also commented that there are lots of Porcupines in the area. They are a sort of pests for locals there.

Try to google the phone of the reserve or Mr Nardi. He didn't answer e-mail, but when we phoned him, he was expecting us to come and was a great birdwatcher and very nice man.

see also:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30604

(I must say, I don't remember much more than that now)

Last edited:
Years ago I visited Reserve Bosco Rocconi, near Roccalbegna, maintained by a local birdwatcher Ricardo Nardi. We saw two pairs of breeding Lanners, and he also commented that there are lots of Porcupines in the area. They are a sort of pests for locals there.

Try to google the phone of the reserve or Mr Nardi. He didn't answer e-mail, but when we phoned him, he was expecting us to come and was a great birdwatcher and very nice man.

see also:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=30604

(I must say, I don't remember much more than that now)

Thanks Jurek. I will do some research. Lanner would be ample compensation if I miss the Porcupine!

Alternatively I’m considering spending a week in or near the Abruzzo National Park. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has visited this area. Is there any decent accommodation inside the park? Abruzzo Chamois and Marsican Brown Bear would be the main targets. Is October too late to look for these species?

Just got back from a week in Abruzzo NP. Great place, and yes I saw Marsican Brown Bear. Don't know if they are time-of-year dependant, but up to 4 could be seen by watching from the roadside over the meadows & slopes opposite from just north of an obvious landslide that blocks half the main SS83 road just north of the village of Pescasseroli. We also had Wild Boar and Red & Roe Deer in this area.

Abruzzon Chamois can easily be found if you put the effort in and clime Valle de Rose, south of Civitella Alfredena.

Pescasseroli is a ski resort - not very attractive, but plenty of accomodation.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back