• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robins building a nest in poor location (1 Viewer)

Hello Birthbath man,

welcome to Birdforum!

Its often hard to judge, what disturbs a breeding bird and what they are willing to tolerate. Sometimes, they can cope with a high noise level or humans very close by (birds can regular judge if humans notice them or arent aware of their presence).
An older example that came into my mind was a Blackbird, that built its nest into a letter of a store logo and I saw them feeding its young seemingly habituated to the large number of people going through the store entrance just a little below the nest. And it was in the city center of Mannheim*!
Advantage of such places is regular the lack of predators, a disadvantage is (often?) a higher stress level in these birds (which cant be detected by normal observation, but by measering their heartbeat frequency for example). I am no expert in this, but there are studies relating to this topic.

* edit: location before stores are open with less people is here

Please let us know how the story ended and welcome to Birdforum again!

Last edited:
Hi Birdbath man and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the more appropriate Garden Birds forum. Our Robins are very tolerant of humans and are used to their movements in their territory. I suggest you enter quietly and just say "Hello" whenever you go in. Try not to go too near to the nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

PS I saw your other post. The robins in America are a completely different species. They're migratory and not so tolerant of human movements. There are very strong laws over there regarding the disturbance of all migratory birds.

Hi Birdbath man and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the more appropriate Garden Birds forum. Our Robins are very tolerant of humans and are used to their movements in their territory. I suggest you enter quietly and just say "Hello" whenever you go in. Try not to go too near to the nest.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

PS I saw your other post. The robins in America are a completely different species. They're migratory and not so tolerant of human movements. There are very strong laws over there regarding the disturbance of all migratory birds.
Thanks,just want what’s best for them

Hello Birthbath man,

welcome to Birdforum!

Its often hard to judge, what disturbs a breeding bird and what they are willing to tolerate. Sometimes, they can cope with a high noise level or humans very close by (birds can regular judge if humans notice them or arent aware of their presence).
An older example that came into my mind was a Blackbird, that built its nest into a letter of a store logo and I saw them feeding its young seemingly habituated to the large number of people going through the store entrance just a little below the nest. And it was in the city center of Mannheim*!
Advantage of such places is regular the lack of predators, a disadvantage is (often?) a higher stress level in these birds (which cant be detected by normal observation, but by measering their heartbeat frequency for example). I am no expert in this, but there are studies relating to this topic.

* edit: location before stores are open with less people is here

Please let us know how the story ended and welcome to Birdforum again!
Thanks for your help

Leave them be. It is actually an offence to knowingly disturb them.
It's not an offence to disturb a Robin at the nest. The disturbance offence in the UK relates to birds on schedule 1 WCA 1981 only.It is an offence to destroy the nest of any bird in the UK without the appropriate licence

For the original poster - if this bird has chosen this site it is already aware of the disturbance and is tolerant of it - dont worry

It's not an offence to disturb a Robin at the nest. The disturbance offence in the UK relates to birds on schedule 1 WCA 1981 only.It is an offence to destroy the nest of any bird in the UK without the appropriate licence

For the original poster - if this bird has chosen this site it is already aware of the disturbance and is tolerant of it - dont worry
Thanks,i’ll let it crack on then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back