• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Dove? (1 Viewer)

Niknakjamiemac

Very embarassingly, I thought this was a juvenile Barn Owl - but have been told it is actually just a Rock Dove.

Can anyone confirm it for me please?

Am just surprised due to the size and shape of it!

Attachments

• RSCN1858.JPG
    RSCN1858.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 101
  • RSCN1857.jpg
    RSCN1857.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 79
It is a Rock Dove, or more precisely, a Capuchine (a breed of fancy pigeon). Look at the head in the first photo, the bill and eyes are not owl-like at all.

In case it interests someone:

Old Dutch Capuchine
The Old Dutch Capuchine is one of the older breeds of pigeons and likely dates back to the Middle East, Greece or India for its origins. Capuchines were probably brought back to Holland by Dutch sailors no later than the 1500's. We know of its presence in Holland in the 1500's by its depiction in several of the Dutch Masters' works of art.
One of the unique characteristics of the Old Dutch Capuchine is the low-set rosettes on both sides of the neck accompanied by the chain, which is formed by the front portion of the rosettes. The chain flows smoothly out of the hood to form an upside down letter U when viewed from the front. Although there are numerous breeds of pigeons that are crested, only a very few have the large rosettes and chain of the Capuchine.

Put two and two together.... got six? The spot where I took the photo is quite a regular haunt for the local barn owls - must admit I thought it had had a hard life!!?

Never seen this one before, any ideas if they are rare or just an offshoot?

Put two and two together.... got six? The spot where I took the photo is quite a regular haunt for the local barn owls - must admit I thought it had had a hard life!!?

Never seen this one before, any ideas if they are rare or just an offshoot?

See my last post. I think we posted at the same time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back