• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB et al. Windfarm Petition (2 Viewers)

Osprey_watcher said:
I don't understand the significance of waiting until September.

Is there anything to be gained? Is it something I don't understand?
1. There are a number of people collecting signatures by hand in Scotland. Their effort must be honoured and we should have a much greater total.

2. In principle Mark is right about August being a dead month. Many people - and many decision-makers - are on holiday and we don`t want the petition landing in the wrong in-tray.

3. Least important of all is that I avoid getting my third heart attack through overwork.

But I thought I actually said or implied all of this in my last post ........?

Arguments against anyone?

David

September is now so close I'm sure the difference is not worth arguing about?

Having said that, I still fail to see what it has to do with Mark Duchamp, while I agree with some of what he said and his priciples, (not all), I cannot recall him putting forward the proposal for a Bird Forum petition prior to his being banned from the forum.

nirofo.

nirofo said:
September is now so close I'm sure the difference is not worth arguing about?

Having said that, I still fail to see what it has to do with Mark Duchamp, while I agree with some of what he said and his priciples, (not all), I cannot recall him putting forward the proposal for a Bird Forum petition prior to his being banned from the forum.

nirofo.
He asked me to babysit his input after he had been removed from BF. He's not the only one I've been "fronting" for though :cool:

But I was acting mostly on my own convictions all along.

David

Seems OK to me-provided thats a firm date.WE need to get this out now or it will lose impact I feel.
It just felt a bit like Mark had "commandeered" it by proxy-I wasn't happy with that.
All we needed was a little communication.

Trust you will copy to the whole group mentioned in the petition David-partic SE & SNH.
Thanks for your efforts.

Colin

Last edited:
Can you make sure that a copy of this is sent to CCW here in Wales as by the look of things they are hell bent on a major windfarm building project here and it would serve well to remind this organisation what its responsibilitys are

Petition delivery

We're nearly there!

I am now just waiting for the final figures from the local signature collecting by hand in England and Scotland (1,090 but 6 pages yet to come in - incl. some 50 RSPB members).

As an update, here's the addendum which will go under the main agreed text:

Sincerely,

- The Undersigned (Annex A – 1174 signatures)

- Members of the Proact International Team (Annex B – 860 signatures – not including Proact members who have signed the online petition individually)

- Those who signed our petition sheets personally in England and Scotland, (some 1xxx additional signatures) These will be delivered separately to the RSPB.

A total of 3xxx people have signed the petition. This includes xxx RSPB members. The vast majority of other signatories are members of BirdLife partner organisations s and nature protection and conservation organisations in UK and abroad.

cc. by post and/or electronic mail:

UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Countryside Agency, Countryside Council for Wales, English Nature, Environment and Heritage Service Northern Ireland, Scottish Executive, Scottish Natural Heritage.
I will also be issuing a press statement at the same time as I post the letters.

Petition posted

I sent the petition, by registered post, at 13.20 CET today 15 Sep, from Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic. It should arrive with the RSPB on Monday or Tuesday.

Under the text published earlier in this thread I have added:

David Conlin for

The Undersigned (Annex A and Addendum – 1186 signatures)

Members of the Proact International Team (Annex B – 860 signatures – not including Proact members who have signed the online petition individually)

Those who signed our petition sheets personally in England and Scotland, (a minimum of 1202 additional signatures) These will be delivered separately to the RSPB.

A total of 3248 people have signed or support the petition to date. This includes 284 RSPB members. The vast majority of other signatories are members of BirdLife partner organisations and nature protection and conservation organisations in UK and abroad.

cc. by post and electronic mail:

UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Countryside Agency, Countryside Council for Wales, English Nature, Environment and Heritage Service Northern Ireland, Scottish Executive, Scottish Natural Heritage.
I will also send out a confirmatory email with the same content to all adressees, including the RSPB, on Sunday evening for desks on Monday morning.A press statement will be released on Wednesday 20 Sep.

David,
I think I told you when you took this project on that were brave to do it. You said you weren't easily discouraged. I think that must be an understatement. Perhaps because of your hard work, better sites and safety designs will be explored.
Cheers

Press Release

PRESS STATEMENT – PROACT INTERNATIONAL

Thursday, 21 September 2006

Appeal to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) to initiate and promote a moratorium on all wind farm development on sensitive habitat of endangered birds and other wildlife in the United Kingdom.

Birdwatchers, ornithologists and nature lovers in the UK are increasingly concerned about the large scale planning and erection of wind farms in areas where significant bird and other wildlife populations and habitats are likely to be adversely affected. We support the aim to increase the usage of a broad mix of effective forms of renewable energy, offering long-term potential for the production of clean energy with minimal impact on the environment.

Almost all of the 3,248 signatories of a petition to the RSPB, as the leading nature protection organisation in the UK, are active members of one or more conservation organisations in the UK and worldwide. Some 284 of them are, or have been, members of the RSPB for a considerable number of years

While welcoming the concern that the RSPB has demonstrated, and the many objections it has lodged, about proposals for the erection of wind farms in some sensitive areas, we believe that the RSPB’s stance on the core of the windfarm debate does not go far enough. Evidence collected from various sites worldwide over the years confirms that poorly sited wind farms can have severe to fatal consequences for birds and other wildlife, through collision with turbines, habitat degradation or population disturbance. Recent disturbing news of mortality and displacement of White-tailed Eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) at Smøla in Norway has, as stated by the RSPB, “increased fears that wind farms in Britain could take a similar toll on native and migrant wild birds”. Britain’s Golden and White-tailed Eagles, with their requirements for wide-ranging and unfragmented habitat, are of course the most high profile of the many species adversely affected by badly sited and congested wind farm sites.

[It is our view therefore that the RSPB should initiate urgent action in order to wholly fulfil its traditional and primary objective of the protection of birds in the United Kingdom, at the same time setting their customary example for other countries in the field of bird conservation.

The full text of our appeal to the RSPB is attached.

David J A Conlin
(Name, address etc.,)

Notes for Editors:

1. Proact International is a ‘virtual’ internet lobby organisation with almost 900 members in 70 countries. We campaign for the conservation and protection of birds and their habitats worldwide.

2. Proact was founded in 2000 by David Conlin, ex-British Army officer and Diplomatic Service. He now works as a freelance ornithological and environmental translator and lives in Berlin, Germany and the Czech Republic. He is a member of many ornithological organisations in UK and Germany and a long term member of the RSPB.

3. We have had a number of successful campaigns over the past 6 years and cooperate with other organisations.

4. The present campaign was conceived, discussed, set up and implemented through birder mailing lists and forums on the internet.

Media echo

Please see:

Call for tough line on wind farms
A petition is calling on the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) to push for wind farm developments to be suspended in the UK.
Internet lobby group Proact, which co-ordinates wildlife campaigns, said it has collected 3,248 signatures.

Proact's David Conlin said the society does not go "far enough" in opposing wind developments.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5367494.stm

I'd be grateful for any more links.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back