• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rye Harbour 25.1.14 (1 Viewer)

Pat MS

Went for a day out with my bird group yesterday. Usually this is a summer destination for us and this was only my second winter trip there. What a difference six months makes. A combination of the very wet weather that we've been having and the work that they have been doing means that the habit has changed. There is much less shingle and scrape and more flooded areas.

When you get prolonged views of a perched Merlin within five minutes of arriving, you wonder if your day can get any better. We only walked about 4 miles: a combination of great wader and duck views, weird weather variations and terrible mud in the more remote parts of the reserve didn't allow for more.

There were easily a thousand Golden Plover on the pools and the light at that point was perfect as they frequently became airborne. Huge numbers of Lapwing also took to the air. How I wish dogs were banned, as at Dungeness, as they and not the walkers seemed to disturb the birds. A small group of Ruff also joined the display.

With the tide starting to come in and fog descending, the beach was full of waders: Dunlin, Sanderling, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover.

Back round on the pools, the star birds were three Goldeneye, two females and a male. There were several Shelduck, including a small juvenile, still not grown into full plumage. Lots of Little Grebes on the ternery pool.

The only other raptor of the day was a Buzzard. I saw 41 species in total but there were a others few seen by other group members. The day finished with a strong and cold westerly wind blowing.

It is a fantastic reserve, over the past few years it's seen some big changes which has really improved the bird life. Dungeness obviously gets more press for the south east coast but if you're ever in the area, Rye Harbour is a must visit. Sounded like a good day Pat!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back