• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S Thailand pipits (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I suspect these photos, of two different birds, all show a paddyfield pipit. But on the off chance one was a Richard's I thought I would check here. Richard's has been spotted at this site. The photos were taken on Nov 29 at around noon at the Hat Yai Water Treatment Plant, on the dikes before the main entry to the plant.
Thank you in advance for confirmation or correction. I have not played with the colour of these photos, for better or worse they are as taken:)
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f1c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f1c.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 45
  • fullsizeoutput_f1d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f1d.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 52
  • fullsizeoutput_f1f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f1f.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • fullsizeoutput_f20.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f20.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
Thanks Rockfowl, I am trying to apply the "no streaking on the mantle" that is mentioned in Robson's guide to distinguish between the two pipits but then I am having difficulty telling whether the mantle is streaked or not:) That was my issue in identifying the second, darker photo. I will have to keep looking:)
thanks again
steve

Thanks Rockfowl, I am trying to apply the "no streaking on the mantle" that is mentioned in Robson's guide to distinguish between the two pipits but then I am having difficulty telling whether the mantle is streaked or not:) That was my issue in identifying the second, darker photo. I will have to keep looking:)
thanks again
steve
Agree both Paddyfield Pipits.

Steve, contra Robson Paddyfield's have streaked mantles to a varying extent, the strength as with other Anthus dependent on e.g age and wear or, simply individual variation, but on average they are less strongly marked than both Richard's and the much rarer (in Thailand) Blyth's. In worn plumage more of the dark feather bases of the mantle become exposed creating a rather messy, blotched effect. Vocalisations are also key. A very useful reference guide re separation of large pipits can be seen here on Dave Bakewell's excellent blog.
https://digdeep1962.wordpress.com/2...field-richards-and-blyths-pipits-in-malaysia/

To answer your specific question as to why the two birds appear so different in tone that is largely a product of their different backgrounds and possibly light.

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back