• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sabah (Deramakot) questions... (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

Copied from the information wanted forum:

We're looking at returning to Sabah next June for our honeymoon.
Our previous visit was in December 2016, and we have decided to do a similar route, but are also hoping to get some information for alternative options.

At present we have the following itinerary:
Singapore (4 days) > Sepilok 3 (day) > Kinabatangan (4 days) > Mt Kinabalu (1 day) > Manukan 3 days > Singapore

Ideally, we'd like to add a new location into the trip, but due to timing and logistics, we don't want to throw another flight and a night in Lahad Datu into the mix, and so have pretty much ruled out Danum/Tabin/Tawau.

We are thinking about swapping out 3 days (Sepilok, Kinabalu and Kinabatangan) in order to visit Deramakot, but it isn't clear what the situation is for independent travellers. I've found some old trip reports where people have turned up in a hired 4x4, but it appears that due to the limited accommodation options (a few cabins and a dorm) this is no longer possible, as accommodation is given first refusal to tour operators.
I've requested a few quotes, but so far the cheapest (!) has come back with £700 p/p for 3D/2N. I know that the reserve is apparently incredible (we are most likely going to target mammals if we make it), but this price seems very steep - almost as expensive as Danum.

Does anyone have any tips for making the trip (if possible about £500 p/p for 3D/2N) or recommend a decent tour provider at the more budget end of the market please?

We also wanted to spend some time on the beach, with some snorkling (incidental birding is fine) so picked out Manukan, but are there any better options? We've looked at the Turtle islands, but unsure of the situation re. Abu Sayyaf, and also Lankayan Island (£500 per night - too expensive!). What about Pulau Mantanai Besar, Mengalum or perhaps somewhere on the mainland with decent beaches and snorkling?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Copied from the information wanted forum:

We're looking at returning to Sabah next June for our honeymoon.
Our previous visit was in December 2016, and we have decided to do a similar route, but are also hoping to get some information for alternative options.

At present we have the following itinerary:
Singapore (4 days) > Sepilok 3 (day) > Kinabatangan (4 days) > Mt Kinabalu (1 day) > Manukan 3 days > Singapore

Ideally, we'd like to add a new location into the trip, but due to timing and logistics, we don't want to throw another flight and a night in Lahad Datu into the mix, and so have pretty much ruled out Danum/Tabin/Tawau.

We are thinking about swapping out 3 days (Sepilok, Kinabalu and Kinabatangan) in order to visit Deramakot, but it isn't clear what the situation is for independent travellers. I've found some old trip reports where people have turned up in a hired 4x4, but it appears that due to the limited accommodation options (a few cabins and a dorm) this is no longer possible, as accommodation is given first refusal to tour operators.
I've requested a few quotes, but so far the cheapest (!) has come back with £700 p/p for 3D/2N. I know that the reserve is apparently incredible (we are most likely going to target mammals if we make it), but this price seems very steep - almost as expensive as Danum.

Does anyone have any tips for making the trip (if possible about £500 p/p for 3D/2N) or recommend a decent tour provider at the more budget end of the market please?

We also wanted to spend some time on the beach, with some snorkling (incidental birding is fine) so picked out Manukan, but are there any better options? We've looked at the Turtle islands, but unsure of the situation re. Abu Sayyaf, and also Lankayan Island (£500 per night - too expensive!). What about Pulau Mantanai Besar, Mengalum or perhaps somewhere on the mainland with decent beaches and snorkling?

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Still have to go through travel agents in order to visit Deramakot and the price you got is rougly the same between agents and which lodge in Danum Valley price were you referring?

Still have to go through travel agents in order to visit Deramakot and the price you got is rougly the same between agents and which lodge in Danum Valley price were you referring?
Hi Jason, thanks for your reply and confirmation regarding Deramakot.
I only know of one lodge in Danum - Rainforest Lodge - are there other options?
The £700pp 3D/2N offer we had was to stay in the bunkbeds in the dormitory at the DVFC, the same package for the DRL was £900pp... We are happy to splash out a bit as it is our honeymoon, but can't quite justify that price.
Thanks!

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply and confirmation regarding Deramakot.
I only know of one lodge in Danum - Rainforest Lodge - are there other options?
The £700pp 3D/2N offer we had was to stay in the bunkbeds in the dormitory at the DVFC, the same package for the DRL was £900pp... We are happy to splash out a bit as it is our honeymoon, but can't quite justify that price.
Thanks!

That was expensive. My group stayed at DVFC resthouse for 5 days 4 nights (birding tours) and paid less than that per person and it was arranged through the travel agent. If you need help, please contact me through Whatsapp +60178205098

I just completed organizing a stay at the DVFC for Oct. 28-Nov. 2 directly through the Field Centre's office in Lahad Datu. We organized to pay for just Accommodation (men's Hostel), dinner (likely won't be around for the scheduled breakfast/lunches which at any rate sound like they run out of food very quickly so have to be there on time) and transport to/from DVFC/Lahad Datu on days WITH scheduled transport (Mon/Wed/Fri). For 4 days/5 nights this cost me a bit over 1600MR. They also gave me a quote with a guide/ranger which was ~2400MR but we are planning on only using a guide maybe on the last day if there are key bird(s) we haven't found on our own. Scheduled night hikes with a ranger are available most night sis the impression I have gotten and you can sign up for/pay for these same day.

The field centre office can be reached via whatsapp at +60 17 823 5638.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back