• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sadness at Migres (1 Viewer)

eddy the eagle

It is with regret and sadness that I have to report that Carlos,Andres,Javier,Blanca and Rafa have all been dismissed from the Migres Foudation and are now unemployed.The regional government has withdrawn financial backing and the research and migration counting has ceased.At present it is not known if this will restart next year but probably not. Iam sure that all you who have known the above over the years and been grateful for their help and knowledge will join me in wishing them better luck in the future and the hope of quickly finding new employment in these desperate times. Eddy::C

Although I moved to Portugal from the centre of the strait just before Migres really started I do know some of these lovely folks.

I wish them all the very best and hope that the funding comes back - its top priority for the Spanish Govt as far as I'm concerned

Very sad for them and that the work has been discontinued. I spent the best part of a week at the count sites at Tarifa a few years ago, met some of these people who I personally found helpful and friendly.

This is very disappointing and distressing news. Not a surprise though, as I know of other excellent workers in similar spheres in Spain who have been made redundant due to the financial problems in that country. It's not only bad news on a personal level, but grim news for conservation. I'm sure I've met a couple of the people Eddie's list (I'm dreadful at recalling names) and wish them well. I think that one of the problems is that EU and similar grants tend to support capital investment, but not day-to-day infrastructure. Is it too much too hope that some of the wealthier northern bird conservation organisations will take up at least some of the slack?

Is it too much too hope that some of the wealthier northern bird conservation organisations will take up at least some of the slack?

Certainly not John - after all the area is by far the most important raptor migration site in western Europe. Surely any funding from ONG's or others could be abundantly justified.

Hopefully Migres and SEO are trying to find an alternative solution.

Terrible new for the people and birds involved.
Really hope it isn't a forever situation and it can be restarted again.

It is with regret and sadness that I have to report that Carlos,Andres,Javier,Blanca and Rafa have all been dismissed from the Migres Foudation and are now unemployed.The regional government has withdrawn financial backing and the research and migration counting has ceased.At present it is not known if this will restart next year but probably not. Iam sure that all you who have known the above over the years and been grateful for their help and knowledge will join me in wishing them better luck in the future and the hope of quickly finding new employment in these desperate times. Eddy::C

A great shame Eddy.

Good luck to a great set of people.

I was fortunate enough to take part in the programme back in 1996 and am sad to hear of its demise and the guys losing their jobs. I hope they can find suitable work in conservation in the future.

They did a terriffic job of monitoring the numbers of raptors and storks passing through the Straits.

Is there any plan in place to carry on some voluntary counting?

Sean Minns

The Colective ornithology Cigueña Negra has for many years carried out migration surveys and will continue to do so in the future I´m sure.This organisation is a subcriber one and is always looking for new members. Eddy.

The Colective ornithology Cigueña Negra has for many years carried out migration surveys and will continue to do so in the future I´m sure.This organisation is a subcriber one and is always looking for new members. Eddy.
Maybe you could give my regards and best wishes to Javier if you see him Eddy.

Top bloke.

Alan

Hi Alan,yes I will give him your best wishes when I see him again.I was with him last Monday when I saw a bittern in La Janda but unfortunately he missed it.First for me in Spain. Eddy.

I may well be dense, I'm still not exactly sure what you're driving at here

However, mention of wind farms reminds me that it was suggested on BF that the generators were shut down when BoP migration was particularly intense (not that I'd noticed!). With Migres out of the picture, who is responsible alerting the powers that be to the pace of migration.

Migres was apparently set up by the government of Andalucia in order to ensure that they did not lose control of the environmental offset funds (or whatever the EU calls them) which arose as a result of the installation of power lines and windfarms.

Migres in effect siphoned (or siphons) off funds which would otherwise go to more genuine environmental organisations.

It appears that recently the Junta de Andalucia failed to follow the correct bureaucratic procedure when passing money from its right hand to its left hand, so that Migres was caught short and had to make a number of people redundant.

Migres still exists and in theory the funds still exist and should be paid to some environmental organisation, but that may not, in future, be Migres.

John,with regard to the wind farms and migration it is the power companies that employ the vigilantes to turn off and advise re: Passing Migratory Birds .That is what I have been told,but like you I wonder sometimes if it works. Eddy

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back