• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Francisco and the Bay Area Friday 18th November - Sunday 4th December (2 Viewers)

Great report- it might inspire a few people to go birdwatching there.
I spent a few days walking along the waterfront past the Presido[is that where Chrissy fields is}
to Golden Gate Bridge and back.There was a great variety of waders,gulls ,herons and seabirds along the way especially when the westerly stirred up and blew lots of birds into the bay.
We used to go to Golden Gate park,the Bathouse[?] and saw some good birds on the trip to Alcatraz.
A great destination for birdwatching,sightseeing and enjoying the city which was very laid back and calm.
Happy memories!

Thank you Stuart and Pratincol. Halfway there, and may get a chance to post more tonight or tomorrow. Some more fun to come.

Day 11 Monday 28th November

Tilden Nature Area

I was almost tempted to skip this walk today, with the later finish and strenuous walk yesterday, a backlog of photographs to go through, and I would be visiting later in the week. Also with my “Gang attack” from the Raccoons, and the stalking by the Coyote, I was likely at this rate to run into a Mountain Lion, and as I would be on my own, and a workday, I would be more likely to be picked off.

Well, I risked my life to go on this trip, just so I could report back to you…okay I wanted to go, and going through the pictures could wait. Plus my legs had actually survived pretty well. A little later start, I was there by 0800 on a rather dull morning. I was dropped off, by an Uber (8 USD), to just over a dozen Wild Turkey and promptly found no cell reception. Not even emergency numbers. I was officially in a dead zone, so when the Mountain Lion did come forth, it would be mano-a-pato. I did not favour my chances. Luckily, I had been making videos to show online later and had begun a tendency to commentate aloud on what I was seeing, even when I was not recording a video. So, the Mountain Lion would at least hear me coming, and would not attack by being surprised by me.

The walk down to Jewel Lake was quiet, other than the Wild Turkeys, and it was only I got closer that I heard Steller’s Jay and Scrubbies. The lake itself seemed devoid of anything feathered, not even a coot or mallard. As it had only been half an hour since arriving, I decided to go down the path next to the lake, and take a walk around it. That path, was not a loop, but instead came to a forked trail which eventually went back to the car park, where I had started the day. I started the walk again.

The walk down to Jewel Lake was quiet, other than the Wild Turkeys, and it was… there was movement in some bramble-type bushes. With so much branches and twigs in the way, the speed of the bird hopping along, I knew that I had no chance of photographs. It was a Pacific Wren. This wren may have been too elusive for me to take a picture of, but it allowed me to get a photograph of a bird I had wanted all week, the Chestnut-Backed Chickadee. I could see that the picture was blurry as I got one shot off before it flew as my camera focussed on the twig behind, but I had it.

As I was walking doing another video to say about getting the CB Chickadee, I stopped to more Chickadee calls, and found the “Magic Zone”. In this 3-4 meter area, with trees on either side, that I had walked passed to nothing before, suddenly had a flurry of activity. The CB Chickadees, which I got better shots of, was followed by a Townsend’s Warbler, Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Dark-Eyed Juncos, as a couple of Cal Tows rustled about on the pathway. A Brown Creeper came in with good light and side views, and a Spotted Towhee came up to have a look and pose for some photographs. The Oak Titmouse followed up the rear of the foragers as the magic was starting to dissipate. Steller’s and Scrubbies flew across the path (the latter whilst making another video), as a pair of American Crows flew higher up, and American Robin perched on the tall trees. So in the space of 20 minutes, in that Magic Zone, I had managed to see 12 species and improve on some photographs.

With no further activity, I walked a couple of minutes to find a Black Phoebe on the high bare branches of the pines. I was at a crossroads, and had to choose between trails. Now, I may have sounded organised so far, in fact I took a copy of the Tilden Nature Area Map of all the different trails. Unfortunately, not on the computer that I had with me or had access to, so I was blind. I took the left trail, heading up Wildcat Canyon. For the next 40 minutes, I saw no birds and only one person, probably not helped by the extremely slimy mud, before finally seeing GC Sparrows, followed quickly by another Spotted Towhee.

Another 40 minutes, and finally a Black Phoebe, which seemed to be in a more active area again, with four Robins flying overhead, six Acorn Woodpeckers congregating on a branch, Red-Tailed Hawk, followed by Turkey Vulture. The shrill of the Anna’s marked one that had been strangely absent all day, the first since I started the walk 4 hours ago. Northern Flicker went onto the Acorn Woodpecker tree, which was promptly chased off.

For the next 20 minutes, it seemed to be every 200 meters, there was a pair of Scrubbies, until finally one convinced me to take a photo of them. A small flock of American Bushtits foraged in a bush, which would be the final bird of the day. I found out that I could still get a GPS signal on my phone, so could see how far I had to walk to get off the track. After the Bushtits, people started to be a common sighting, and I eventually got on a road to civilisation.

Walking a couple of more miles to the BART Station, whilst stopping off at a discount grocery store, I took the return journey back to the hotel. It was probably one of the longer walks of the vacation so far at about 15 km (9 miles). I did take a nap when I got back to the hotel.

Photographed Species (to be filled in as now at hotel on different computer)

Day 12 Tuesday 29th November

East Avenue Park (Tuesday4birdsfriends) – Lake Temescal

It was almost a week ago that I had been suggested the Tuesday4birdsfriends group by one of the leaders from the Lake Merritt walk. The leader had sent the calendar appointment, and I was able to transfer it. A Short BART ride, followed by a shorter bus ride, I was able to find the East Avenue park very easily. I would have been lost without an active mobile phone, with buses not stopping at all the stops and getting to destinations a lot quicker than scheduled. With the phone, I could track where I was and know when to get off.

I was not the first to arrive this time, with the birder who had found the Burrowing Owl from the Sunday walk already there. As the group started to arrive, those already there watched the trees on the other side, with flocks of American Robin coming across, House Finch, Ravens and Crows. We were about a group of 12 people and we did a round-robin (not a bird, so do not get too excited that I saw the elusive "round" variety) of introductions. No sooner had we started, we saw not one but two Red-Breasted Sapsuckers, one of the two targets that they had hoped for.

Allowing plenty of time to view, everyone got a chance to see it and the different markings. We walked around the inside perimeter of the park, spotting Anna’s, CB Chickadees and a number of Ruby-Crowned Kinglets. There was a call of a bird, and I put the small group that were at the back with me on what I was sure was a Mockingbird. This flew off after only a brief look, but down next to the group up front. As we went to join them, they asked if I had seen the black eyeline or the white outer tail feathers, which I could not be sure seeing anything distinct on the face and never saw the flight well as it flew towards the sun.

This is the great thing about birding though, it is okay to get it wrong, as long as you can learn from it, not making outlandish calls and it obviously helps if someone can correct you (and you are willing to be corrected). The amount of erroneous calls I have made, as only doing this for a few years and yet nearly all other birders I have came across will help rather than complain. Anyway, we caught up with the front group and I started mentioning where I thought the "Mockingbird" had gone down. Very conveniently it then popped up on top of the bush next to us, allowing the group to view it, and confirm it was indeed a Mockingbird, being a female with a less well defined eyeline.

A Red-Tailed Hawk, perched on a far eucalyptus tree, and further around a pair of Band-Tailed Pigeon were in front of a house. We descended into the valley, once again I was amazed at how parks in the SF and the Bay Area had such different terrain and areas being kept natural. The valley was cold and there was not much about, as we searched for the Pacific Wren (second target). I could see similar vegetation that I had spotted one in yesterday, but no joy. The group decided to call it a day, and I stayed down with another birder who wanted to have a longer wait.

It seemed to pay off, with a couple of stops made with some movement. Although, we only got a quick look all that could be said was that it was wren-movement. I managed to get a shot off with the camera, and reviewing later, with the much longer tail, it was likely a Bewick’s Wren, which the other birder had heard calling elsewhere. We heard a wind come down, and as I braced for a burst of cold, it was instead warm air. You can forget how cold a valley can get, whilst the rest of the world heats up in the morning sun.

As we headed up out the valley, I mentioned that I was probably going to have a look at Lake Temescal. The birder was actually from there, and so offered me a lift. When we did arrive, They decided to stick around as they mentioned it had been a while since they visited. A call came through, and another birder from the morning said that they too would head down to the lake.

Black Phoebes went after insects and Steller’s Jay crossed the trees. A pair of male and a single female Wood Duck, dabbled away at the pondweed on the surface at the lake. When the sun shone on the Male, the colours really showed up wonderfully. A Great Blue Heron tried to sleep at the edge of the lake (again with the snoozing birds at 1130) and we were treated to the sight of a Green Heron. A Pied Grebe was out in the middle, on its own (They appear not to be very social).

An Orange-Crowned Warbler foraged at the top of the bushes, as we took a leisurely walk around the lake, with Yellow-Rumped flicking about at the reeds. A Song Sparrow perched on the footbridge. Then a pair or Ruby-Crowned Males came in, with their crowns fully exposed. They did not seem to attack, only coming close to each other before one choosing to back off. There were a few more RC Kinglets, and reviewing later, none were the Hutton’s Vireo, which I still had not seen.

With the Hutton's Vireo, they joke about if you can not tell the difference then have a look at the feet. RC Kinglets have yellow feet. Well, good thing about photography is that you can have a look later.

With that, we went for lunch at a nearby diner, joined by one of the birder’s husband, where we talked about politics and furniture. They dropped me off at my hotel afterwards, saying it was just as easy as dropping me at the BART. Bay Birders really are that Awesome!

Photographed Species (To be filled later as above)

Day 13 Wednesday 30th November

Moss Beach

Shorter bird day today, as it was the final writing day in November. For the first time, I wrote in the morning as was not getting up for sunrise. Instead, I went to the writing office and say goodbye. I did a little interview with the man in charge, and we worked out when I would likely visit again. If not before, my ten year anniversary of taking part would be good (couple of years away).

Afterwards, I hopped on the BART and headed to SF, getting picked up by a writing friend, who hoped to take me to one of their favourite birding sites. Her partner had been worried that as I did not know anyone in the area, I would be on my own all the time. As you can see from the above, I had very little time on my own.

The rain came in though, quashing the plan of visiting one of the sites. It did let up enough but as we walked around a redwood forest at Moss Beach, it was very quiet. There was only one burst of activity as we went to overlook out on the sea, where a couple of CB Chickadees and a Townsend’s Warbler moved about a tree. A pair of Black Oystercatchers and a few DC Cormorants were also the only sea birds seen.

We had a late lunch and then headed back to SF. Told you it was a short birding day.

Photographed Species (to be filled)

Day 14 Thursday 1st December

Las Gallinas Treatment Ponds (MAS)

From the Monday (Day 4 - seems so long ago and yet only about ten minutes of reading for you) Hawkwatch group at Hawk Hill, one of them arranged for me to meet another Scottish birder that was living in SF. We chose the Marin Audubon society (MAS) at Las Gallinas for the visit. Arranging to be picked up at the Richmond BART, it reduced my travel time by about an hour to get to San Rafael.

The first bird of the day, was before the treatment ponds, pulling over to a nice Red-Shouldered Hawk on a streetlight. On seeing us, it moved further down the road onto a tree. Heading down the wrong road gave us an opportunity for an Acorn Woodpecker storing acorns, before we turned round and head the correct way.

The first bird of the official day was an American Kestrel being harassed by American Crows. We saw this when we got out the car and others were on it when we met the rest of the Group. Great White Egret swiftly followed, with sleeping Cinnamon Teal and Green-Winged Teal. A female Brewer’s Blackbird hid amongst Eurasian Starlings on a wire, and a pair of White-Tailed Kites were already hunting before perching together. The nearby House Finches were checked for Purple Finches, and discussed the difference between the two.

A Yellow-Rumped Warbler was feeding from a palm tree and a Say’s phoebe from a wire. A River Otter swam around on the far side of the first pond, and Pied Grebes were spotted (at different areas of the pond), as well as on a little island in the middle, Mute Swans (brought in like the Starlings) and a Juvenile Black-Crowned Night Heron. A group of 6 Common Merganser was on the second pond, and the bushes at the side had both female and male Red-Winged Blackbird. A Northern Harrier sat on a field looking back at us.

Going down the path between the second and third pond, a pair of Eared Grebe were on the third pond with Mew Gull and a Californian Gull (okay, I was with Gull people so thought I would give something to the Gull readers) on a pipe on the second pond. A Palm Warbler was spotted at the path beside the Solar Farm, although quickly disappeared before everyone got a look and with Yellow-Rumped in the area and facing into the sun, it was hard to track. Returning back by the third pond to join the road next to the creek, a Savannah Sparrow was seen perched on the fence. It was this sighting that allowed me to go back and identify the one I saw on Thanksgiving.

Two DC Cormorants chased off the Gulls, and one had a remarkable resemblance to Tom Hanks (I will include this picture). A Red-Tailed Hawk flew over, which the day would not seem to have been complete without. The last birds of the day were Snowy Egret and Great Blue Heron at the start of the ponds again.

Afterwards, I went with a group for lunch at a diner, before one of the birders dropped me off at the BART station that I used on the Monday (long walk day), and I travelled back for the day. Tomorrow would be my last day in Berkeley as I moved onto to stay with a work colleague, who lives in Stockton, allowing for me to see some birds from the Central Valley.

Species Photographed (To be added)

Seems like a good chance for one last break...

...and I know you are all dying to see the DC Cormorant that looks like Tom Hanks.

Attachments

• Brown.jpg
    Brown.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Chick.jpg
    Chick.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Scrubby.jpg
    Scrubby.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10
  • Spotted.jpg
    Spotted.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Mock.jpg
    Mock.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 12
And more...

Tom Hanks will be in this one (but relegated Red-shouldered Hawk to the next batch).

Attachments

• RC Kinglet.jpg
    RC Kinglet.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Kestrel.jpg
    Kestrel.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Sapsucker.jpg
    Sapsucker.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Wood.jpg
    Wood.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Tomhanks.jpg
    Tomhanks.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 14
Day 15 Friday 2nd December

Tilden Nature Area (GGAS)

I checked out of the hotel and asked for my bags to get stored. The GGAS walk was from 0830-1030 and I had yet to decide what to do with the 5 hours afterwards before I needed to be on the BART. One thing for sure was that I did not want to go wandering up Wildcat Canyon again, as once you start then you just needed to keep going.

On arrival, there was already more activity as we waited for everyone to arrive. The group was large, about 36 people, and with the warmer weather coupled with more eyes, I knew that I should be able to see more. Steller’s, Scubbies, CB Chickadees, Townsend’s and Anna’s were seen before everyone had arrived. We then were treated to a Golden Eagle flying over, followed by a Red-Shouldered Hawk.

As we started to sign in at the picnic table in the car park, a Red-Breasted Sapsucker came in behind it. GC Sparrows foraged at the bushes next to it, as the leader started his talk on the various methods thought to be used by migrations, theories on Vagrants on how it may not just be about being blown off course, but abnormalities, which in turn could lead to a species survival by setting up a new territory. There was also talk of a Roman camp under siege that used a nesting Swallow in the third century to send a message back to say that help was coming.

We continued up the path to Jewel Lake, with Cal Tows, Dark-Eyed Juncos, and a Brown Creeper. The leader mentioned about one theory about the white underparts being used for the reflection of light and talked about proposed experiments to prove/disprove the theory. I spotted a Vee of black winged birds with white heads flying over, and another birder was able to get a better look to call DC Cormorants. The reflection on the chest and head gave the white appearance. A Spotted Towhee popped out further up the track, and as I tried to put another birder on it, the front part of the group carried on causing it to hide away.

We were almost at Jewel Lake, and one birder told the sad news that the Burrowing Owl at César Chávez Park had been killed by a dog. With an inadequate fence, certain dog owners not caring to keep dogs on leashes in certain areas or letting the dogs get out of sight, it was not really a surprise. Albany, just slightly up from the park, did still have Burrowing Owls though, and an adequate fence, like down at Arrowhead Marsh.

Not expecting much at Jewel Lake, based on my experience of earlier in the week, was proved wrong as two male Hooded Mergansers were spotted with a female. Both puffed out their throats, I assume for dominance, and one chased the other away when he got too close. It was the first sighting of the year of the Hooded in Tilden Nature Area. A Song Sparrow also appeared in the reeds in front of Jewel Lake.

American Robin, Black Phoebe, Oak Titmouse, and Ruby-Crowned Kinglets were also seen, as we did the return walk. I decided to walk on to Lake Anza and as I headed that way, a couple of birders stopped to offer a lift. I had the decision to make now; do I carry on to Lake Anza or take the lift back to Berkeley and find something else to do for 4 hours? I decided on the former, and arriving at Lake Anza, with a sparing amount of Coots and Mallards, and it being so quiet for birds, I wondered if it was a mistake. It proved not to be in some respects, as I found a Varied Thrush, which decided not to give me enough time to take a photograph. I should have taken a blurry one, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. As I waited to see if it would return and look at the other trees in case I could respot it, I was instead treated to a feeding frenzy of American Bushtit, and Acorn Woodpecker.

I carried on around the lake, and again with no map, assumed a trail would take me around to the other side. Instead it went deeper, and since I had the time, I decided to keep on going. It was a nice walk but not too much activity, and at least there were some posts to suggest I was on a main trail. Botanical Garden signs or views of Lake Anza taunted me that I would soon be on the path to the way back to Berkeley. I turned back on one track that seemed too muddy, another that seemed too dense with what I suspected to be poison oak, and when I accidentally touched a stick that looked suspiciously like poison oak, I wondered if my finger would flare up. It didn’t and I eventually got back to the main road.

It still took me another hour to get down from Tilden, back to the University and then onto the hotel. Due to the winding track, and the walk back, I only had a half hour to wait at the hotel before I needed to head to the BART, where I was picked up by my colleague and we had Jumbo Shrimp and Steak at his house in Stockton, Ca. I was now in the Central Valley.

Photographed Species (to be filled)

Day 16 Saturday 3rd December

Woodbridge Road

My first proper breakfast in the trip with fried SPAM and scrambled eggs. My Colleague was happy to take me out to see Sandhill Crane, and a birder earlier on in the week had told me where to find them. We first visited his Father so we were at Woodbridge road by mid-morning.

Sandhill Crane were spotted straight away, with Western MeadowLark in the fields as we headed down the road. A White-Tailed Kite flew by hunting, as we came to a viewing point. Giving my spare set of bins so that my companions could also look in case I got distracted, we got two sets of noisy Blackbirds, Brewer’s and Red-Winged. Yellow-Rumped Warbler, White-Crowned Sparrows and Cal Tows were also in the bushes. On the water side, the sun was facing us but Canada Goose and Northern Pintail could be made out, as well as American Coot.

A Mockingbird also joined the blackbird bush and then a Loggerhead Shrike. Although at that time, I did not know it was a Loggerhead, only that it was a Shrike that resembled the Great-Grey. I told the others about why they were known as the Butcher Bird. A Say’s Phoebe was then feeding further up, and I had time to take some photographs, one after it had caught an insect.

After spending some time there, we moved further up the road, and I realised that once again I had messed up my camera settings. Note to self…Check camera more often. We stopped further up, seeing Snowy, Great White Egret and a Great Blue Heron, more Sandhill Crane and a Greater Yellowlegs. A Black Phoebe was also seen in the little ditch. Turkey Vulture and Red-Tailed Hawk were seen in the air, with Northern Harrier lower down. A Belted Kingfisher was seen on a post as we were returning up the road, followed by an American Kestrel and a Scrubby. Back at the house, there was an Anna’s at the feeder and a Mourning Dove in the tree opposite.

We had planned to possibly go around the Delta, but time got the better of us, as by the time all luggage was packed for both myself and my colleague, and we stopped in to check in with his dog, the light was failing. I was quite happy though with the morning birding, and we finished the evening in a roadside bar, which served fast cheap tasty food and quite a hidden gem of a converted house turned bar/restaurant. They dropped me off at the BART and I made my way to my final hotel.

Photographed Species (To be filled)

Day 17 Sunday 4th December

Fort Mason Community Garden

I had a decision to make; my flight was not until the afternoon, so I had 5 hours before I needed to head to the airport. I was trying to decide between taking part in one final GGAS walk at the Golden Gate Botanical Garden, where I would be with a group, a good number of eyes and local knowledge, Or I could go back to the Magical Fort Mason Community Garden. As you can tell from the title, I chose the latter and hoped that I made the correct decision.

Pygmy Nuthatch were active on a wire-brush tree as I fumbled for my camera as I quickly set up. Starting in the garden with Fox, White-crowned Sparrows, Cal Tows, Yellow-Rumped, House Finch, Lesser Gold Finch and Starlings, it showed that the Garden would be active as normal. Then the number of particular species became incredible, with over 100 Red-Masked Parakeets in a Eucalyptus tree, about 70 Brown Pelican flying over, both of which were eclipsed when over 500 DC Cormorants came over in vees of 30.

Then I managed to get a picture of the elusive Bullock’s Oriole, and then was able to put the other photographer on it, who seemed intent to chase it around the garden. The Oriole overwinters in the Garden with so much to eat all year. Orange Crowned Warbler, and Say’s Phoebe came into the garden. We were also able to find the White-Throated Sparrow, although the Clay’s Sparrow that was seen a couple of days ago did not appear to be around. The resident Red-Tailed Hawk came and perched on the lower branches of a Eucalyptus tree. The Bullock’s Oriole then came back, followed by a Cooper’s Hawk chased into a tree by crows.

Moving out the Garden, more Pygmy Nuthatches, American Robin and Cedar Waxwings were seen in the trees by the aquatic park lookout point. A Western Grebe was seen in the Aquatic park itself. The final bird of the day, and what a bird to finish not only the day on, but my two weeks of birding on, was at the General’s House. In a palm tree sat two Great-Horned Owls. After several pictures, I headed back to the hotel, getting the shuttle and heading to the airport.What a fantastic end to a fantastic trip!

In conclusion

Before I post some final images, I thought I would give a little summary.

The kindness of the birders of SF and the East Bay, and the organised trips of the societies, especially the Golden Gate Audubon Society, this trip has been fantastic. I never did research on any of the birds before I went, looking more about visiting different sites to get a good variety. Again the society trip reports proved to be invaluable as I could see what sites were good and at what time of year.

The link of the Google Calendar to Maps, and therefore access to public transport also made getting around very easy with addition of the Clipper Card. No need to worry about having the right change, just preload the card and tap it whenever you need it. Not having to worry about needing a car, or parking, definitely helped although you can see some places where it got more sticky.

I would definitely be visiting again, as ease of access and the people make it a worthwhile birding destination. You can go birding at different destinations, and also very quickly decide to return to favourite places. If you only have a chance to visit one place, I would have to say visit Fort Mason Community Garden in SF (then pop along to Crissy Field Marsh).

And finally, what did I discover about myself. I have been birding just over 3 years, and learning new birds of the west coast was relatively easy. After all, you are adding to a base knowledge rather than starting from the beginning again. I also saw improvements on taking images, and put together my first photo calendar and realised that with the photographs I took in Scotland, Japan and Portugal, it has really been a fantastic year!

I hope you enjoyed the read and please visit. Feel free to contact me for any questions.

Some more Pics

Final set of pics

Attachments

• Red Shoulder.jpg
    Red Shoulder.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Hooded.jpg
    Hooded.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Hooded2.jpg
    Hooded2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 10
  • Crane.jpg
    Crane.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Shrike.jpg
    Shrike.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
Some more Pics

Final set

As mentioned, a full set of images can be found at this link.

Attachments

• Bullocks.jpg
    Bullocks.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Bullocks2.jpg
    Bullocks2.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Pygmy.jpg
    Pygmy.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Flicker.jpg
    Flicker.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 10
  • GH Owl.jpg
    GH Owl.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 15
Before I post some final images, I thought I would give a little summary.

The kindness of the birders of SF and the East Bay, and the organised trips of the societies, especially the Golden Gate Audubon Society, this trip has been fantastic. I never did research on any of the birds before I went, looking more about visiting different sites to get a good variety. Again the society trip reports proved to be invaluable as I could see what sites were good and at what time of year.

The link of the Google Calendar to Maps, and therefore access to public transport also made getting around very easy with addition of the Clipper Card. No need to worry about having the right change, just preload the card and tap it whenever you need it. Not having to worry about needing a car, or parking, definitely helped although you can see some places where it got more sticky.

I would definitely be visiting again, as ease of access and the people make it a worthwhile birding destination. You can go birding at different destinations, and also very quickly decide to return to favourite places. If you only have a chance to visit one place, I would have to say visit Fort Mason Community Garden in SF (then pop along to Crissy Field Marsh).

And finally, what did I discover about myself. I have been birding just over 3 years, and learning new birds of the west coast was relatively easy. After all, you are adding to a base knowledge rather than starting from the beginning again. I also saw improvements on taking images, and put together my first photo calendar and realised that with the photographs I took in Scotland, Japan and Portugal, it has really been a fantastic year!

I hope you enjoyed the read and please visit. Feel free to contact me for any questions.
Thanks- great report.Sounds like you had a busy holiday.You saw a lot more than I did.
Great photos too.
You are right about Fort Mason and Chrissy Fields especially if you are staying near that end of town.We were in the Marriot on the bay and walked there most days and carried on to the bridge some days.Because its so flat and the views so impressive it was never a chore.
There was also a good bus service so you can also get to the west coast ocean areas or the Golden Gate without having to trudge along the prom.
We did it all on Shanks pony or like you used the public transport.
I always remember Bill Oddie saying it was one of his favourite birdwatching destinations.As a city it would be hard to beat-although Sydney is not bad[maybe put it on your destination list]
Where are you off to next?

Last edited:
Thank you Pratincol.

Indeed it is a good place as easy to get around to multiple sites. Especially good if you are travelling on your own. I will have a look at Sydney as Australia and New Zealand (separately) are on the list of places to visit.
At the moment, my next scheduled trip is my usual jaunt to the Alentejo in Portugal, where I go twice a year (spring and Autumn) in April. I will also do a bit of birding in Japan likely in June as part of a work trip. Also, spring for SF has definitely got me tempted, if my employer lets me get away again, otherwise maybe later or following spring.

The report writing was also rather fun too.

Excellent report

Great report and nice photos.
I have done a similar set of visits when on business in the area but did find it a lot easier with a car albeit we used public transport in the city area.
In fact if you visit one of the National Parks before hand you can use that pass (valid for 3 days or a week) for free parking at Fort Mason and then do local sites by Bus / on foot.

Photographed Species

Daandsblair-Good advice for people that are prefer to drive, thank you for sharing it.

All - As I cannot edit above posts (time-limited it seems), photographed Species numbers are below (day 11 onwards).

Day 11 82/56
Day 12 85/56
Day 14 89/56
Day 15 90/56
Day 16 93/56
Day 17 95/56

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back