• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sanderling, Lower Saxoney, Germany (1 Viewer)

trooper

John B.
I saw this Sanderling on a gravel pit, the bill is a bit long?? and it was very still, not the usual jizz for a sanderlin???

Attachments

• confusebird.jpg
    confusebird.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 107
I saw this Sanderling on a gravel pit, the bill is a bit long?? and it was very still, not the usual jizz for a sanderlin???

Just in roost mode, rather than feeding mode . . . I'm also assuming it isn't a usual occurence to get them on inland gravel pits in Germany? Or do they pass through on migration? - as a lost individual, could be perhaps not as well as it would otherwise be? Feeding opportunities different? . . . or else it's just fine. :t:

I'm also assuming it isn't a usual occurence to get them on inland gravel pits in Germany? Or do they pass through on migration?

Can't speak for Germany, but here 300km from the coast, Sanderlings are regular, but uncommon migrants at the fish pools. I see one or two per migration season and these, unless they turn directly west, would not see the sea again for thousands of kilometres.

Sanderling

Hello,

I go also with Sanderling.
Beginning of October I had one at lake Ismaninger Speichersee near Munich.
I did not thought that I will see them in Germany ( because they are very rare ), after I saw them in June in California.

Best regards
Dieter

Thanks for the answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everybody for their comments, sanderlings are not often seen in this area and it is good to be 100% sure before I put it on my list!!.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back