• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Only three months in to the year and we have had six species we never had last year Smew, Bean Geese,Whopper Swan, Kittiwake, Black Redstart and Goshawk.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Well another month gone and the year list has gone up to 109 species. Highlights being the first Black Redstart for eight years unfortunately it didn’t stick around, Curlew, Redshank and Ringed Plover put in a brief appearance, the Little Owl was seen and so was the Barn Owl. We had Red Kite and Osprey on the same day a sprinkling off migrants with Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Sand Martin, Swallow and House Martin. Wheatear made it just before the end of the month with a Male in the Swan Pool Meadow on the 30th; we had a second Osprey over Salter’s Lane and two possible Ospreys where seen distantly one over Dartmouth Park and the other over Forge Mill. A cracking male Brambling was at Salter’s Lane and the Month finished with our first Goshawk for three years:-

96, Curlew
97, Ringed Plover
98, Little Owl
99, Redshank
100, Black Redstart
101, Chiffchaff
102, Osprey
103, Red Kite
104, Sand Martin
105, Swallow
106, House Martin
107, Wheatear
108, Brambling
109, Goshawk
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Forgot to say I had my first Butterfly today Small Tortoiseshell also saw a Hare a mammel I have not seen in Valley for many years
Good Birding YAMYAM

Dave, I was talking to a woman dog walker last week who seems to know a lot about the Valley. She told me of a hare that's been frequenting the fields around the old farm in Forge Lane for the past few weeks so presumably they are one of the same.

Possible additions in April:-
Marsh Harrier
Hobby
Merlin
Garganey
Whimbrel
Common Sandpiper
Green Sandpiper
Avocet
Black Tailed Godwit
Dunlin
Little Gull
Mediterranean Gull
Common Tern
Artic Tern
Swift
Tree Pipit
Yellow Wagtail
Redstart
Whinchat
Ring Ouzel
Willow warbler
Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler
Grasshopper Warbler
Lesser Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Yellowhammer

Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Andy Purcell informs me the Hare is the first record on the that side of the motorway in forty years
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Swan Pool
Shoveler x2, m,f, Little Grebe c4, Great Crested Grebe x2, Lesser Black Back x25, Herring Gull x3, Sand Martin c20, Swallow c6 and Pochard x1 female
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Swan Pool Meadow
Wheatear x1 female, Skylark and Reed Buntings x3 male.
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Large number hirundines moving through Forge Mill
Sand Martins 100+, Swallow 40+ and House Martin c3
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back