• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

screech owl update (1 Viewer)

The red phase of the eastern screech owl showed up again. She must have been on eggs for the past weeks. Got the picture this time and will download when I figure how to do it. So the two phases are breeding, I assume the red phase is the female, and now I am waiting for the fledglings to appear. The director at the local Audubon center said they take turns incubating young, and will sometimes call to coax the young out. Other birds as Hairy and downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, and the usual feeder birds have been around but no migrating warblers yet.

Oh yes, please post your pictures. Go to Advanced reply and scroll down a bit until you see the "attach files" part, then you can upload your pictures!

owl visitor

Ok here goes, going to try and attach a couple of pictures of the screech that has been keeping me amused for the past few weeks. The house is actually 20 feet up a tree but the picture was taken from the opposing hill.

Attachments

• owl_squirrel_2.jpg
    owl_squirrel_2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 53
Hmm... "owl and friend?" ha-ha. That's a great pic! Was the owl letting the squirrel look around as it liked, or did it attack? I guess that the squirrel is not good for owl eggs....

Hmm... "owl and friend?" ha-ha. That's a great pic! Was the owl letting the squirrel look around as it liked, or did it attack? I guess that the squirrel is not good for owl eggs....

I had watched the complete episode unfold. The squirrel just happened to run up the tree as the owl sat in the entry. The owl looked around but could not see the squirrel but the squirrel looked nervous. The squirrel later ran back down and took off. I am hoping it did not interfere with the nesting of the owls.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back