• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea bird in SiRacha, Thailand - 19 January 2021 (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I spotted many Terns today and I tried to take in flight pictures, and it is very hard to get good pictures. I spotted one bird sitting on a 25 Lit plastic drum, quite far away so the pictures is no good.

I look in my book BIRDS OF THAILAND and the only bird looking like my bird on the attached pictures is the Jaeger. But this is a rare bird so I have my doubts.

Especially since the bird on my picture have long legs and the look shorter on the Jaeger in the book

And the pattern around the head, Black from under the bill going up on back of the head. But this pattern looks to be white and the Jaeger have yellow and white.

Also, this pattern is for a breeding Jaeger. And I compare to the other gulls in my book, but nothing like this pattern

The bill looks the same, but the bill on my picture looks longer than in the book.

Would be very appreciated if anyone could be so kind to help ID this bird

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Seabird-2.jpg
    Seabird-2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Seabird-1.jpg
    Seabird-1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 31
Looks like arctic skua / parasitic Jaeger to me (2 names for the same thing: despite the deep chest, the tail is an arctic's).

Looks like arctic skua / parasitic Jaeger to me (2 names for the same thing: despite the deep chest, the tail is an arctic's).

Thank you!

I was thinking Pomarine Jaeger, but it is yellow necked. But it have the same pattern on the breast, dark spotts

I was also thinking Arctic Jaeger, Parasitic jaeger / Arctic skua
it has a white neck and same pattern, but in my book it is evenly grey and just on the throat in height with the shoulders.

But your suggestion Arctic makes more sense as the bill is longer and more slender than the Pomarine Jaeger

Thank you!
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back