• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sensor cleaning advice please (1 Viewer)

If anyone is thinking of using the wet cleaning method,there are some cleaning swabs ,sold by www,cameraclean.com for just £4-95 per 10.these same swabs were sold by Intemos(now available from camera dealers,and NOT Intemos direct-do NOT order from the company itself),for £18-95 for 10.If you go to the Intemos online site(think it is still running-have not checked for a while),there is a small video which explains how to use these swabs,but if you phone cameraclean,the guy will sell you these in packs of 10 for £4-95.Not advertised seperately on the website ,but as part of a kit.He also sells the SensorSwabs as recommended for wet cleaning.But you can use the cheaper ones for both dry and wet clean.I use the dearer ones for a wet clean,then wipe over with the cheaper ones just to remove any residue.May take a couple of goes,but I have never damaged the sensor.

Good advice Christine, thanks, I'd like to get in touch with them just to check whether they'd deliver the swabs to Italy, but couldn't find an e-mail .. any suggestion?
Max

It takes a long time to do ..

That 'honey' looks to be the same stuff as was once sold for cleaning lenses, but in the latter case it was sold in small bottles, and cost a fortune. Who says photographers aren't a target for rip offs? BTW if anyone tries the 'honey' on lenses, do make sure you do not get it into the edges, as it could seep in to the gap between the lens and the lens cell. I learnt that the hard way about 15 years ago.

The wet swab route is quicker.

Good advice Christine, thanks, I'd like to get in touch with them just to check whether they'd deliver the swabs to Italy, but couldn't find an e-mail .. any suggestion?
Max

Max,sorry,I only ever remember half the website details.The website is www.cameraclean.co.uk They are the UK distributor for the Photographic Solutions Inc.think they could be American.The guy who runs this company is very helpful.He has even offered to come and clean my cam sensors for me the next time he and his wife visit the lake District(will cost me a pub lunch!!!).
If you do contact him do ask re the packs of swabs for £4-95.They are not advertised on the website in packs,only as part of the kits.
I will go and see if the Intemos site is running and return to this thread.

i have just checked,and yes the site www.intemos.com is still running.At the bottom of their homepage is a blue bar mentioning a demo cleaning video.If you click onto it and on the next page there is a demo of how their sensor cleaning swabs are used.Only takes around 1 min to play.On the www.cameraclean.co.uk these same swabs are called Flexi Swabs and are only shown in the kits .But they can be purchased in the packs of 10 for just £4-95,ie as I originally mentioned £18-95 from a dealer who now sells the Intemos stuff(not the dealers fault).So if ordering from cameraclean,you do need to ask specifically to buy the flexiswabs in a pack.They are only shown as part of the kit on the website.This really is a massive saving.Yes,Max,this guy does ship abroad,as he mentions that cleaning fluid cannot be sent by airmail,only road/sea.
Any probs ,you can always mention my name and location,he will remember me,as I had to ask him 3 times how much the Flexiswabs were,I was somewhat in shock having paid £18-95 for the same items.I may add the original dealer did give me a complete refund.

Digipads etc

The time has now come that I need to clean the sensor in my 30D, I have noticed a couple of dull blotches in this shot of the Kittiwake. Has anyone tried this product & is it any good ?

http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/main/technical/dust_aid.php

Paul

Hi

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to point out I had posted advice on this subject on the main camera & photography forum quite recently - to see my post click here. This was based on my first experience of DSLR sensor cleaning, and linked to a page on my website which had pics of the various stages of improvement I obtained. To see this click here.

I found the pre-prepared digipads very convenient and easy to use. Also I ordered all I needed from a UK-based website.

Happy cleaning!

StephenB

Hi

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I just wanted to point out I had posted advice on this subject on the main camera & photography forum quite recently - to see my post click here. This was based on my first experience of DSLR sensor cleaning, and linked to a page on my website which had pics of the various stages of improvement I obtained. To see this click here.

I found the pre-prepared digipads very convenient and easy to use. Also I ordered all I needed from a UK-based website.

Happy cleaning!

StephenB

Your site is realy interesting Stephen, I have just ordered a giotto q ball blower from warehouse express so I will take your advice & just use that to start with to see how it goes.

Maybe one day I will get brave & try the wet method, but I'm very reluctant at the moment, it would have to get realy dusty for me to attemp it, anyway thanks for that Stephen, and all the best.

Cheers

paul :t:

HI all

Just tried cleaning a dusty 30D sensor using blower only - took a trial photo and still have some dust on there; was going to use the blower again but the camera menu won't give me a sensor cleaning option now! Is it rationed?!

Ta, Alan

It will only let you at the sensor cleaning if the battery is fully charged, or nearly so.
They use quite a bit of battery power holding the mirror up and the shutter open whilst you are cleaning, and if the battery failed and allowed the shutter to close and the mirror to drop whilst you'd still got a brush or whatever in there, it would be pretty expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back