• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serious question about the Nikon EDG (1 Viewer)

The sporting goods store in Montana is Bob Wards in Bozeman. I posted the EDG info last year and someone from the forum called and bought a pair of the 10x42s. I was in the store last week and they had both 10x42 and 8x42 in stock. I believe the prices were $1329 and $1279 but don’t qoute me on that. They are the “new” style EDG with the single hinge. Interestingly Nikon never referred to the new style EDG as II. I think dealers started doing that to distinguish between the two designs. You can check on Nikons website archives for the EDGs and you will see this. I’ve not seen a pair of the 8x32s at the Bozeman store but it is possible one of their other stores has a pair. If one calls any of their stores they can check for you as all their inventory is on their database. They also have a big discount on a pair of Zeiss 8x32s but I’m not sure of the model (Victory?) or price.

The sporting goods store in Montana is Bob Wards in Bozeman. I posted the EDG info last year and someone from the forum called and bought a pair of the 10x42s. I was in the store last week and they had both 10x42 and 8x42 in stock. I believe the prices were $1329 and $1279 but don’t qoute me on that. They are the “new” style EDG with the single hinge. Interestingly Nikon never referred to the new style EDG as II. I think dealers started doing that to distinguish between the two designs. You can check on Nikons website archives for the EDGs and you will see this. I’ve not seen a pair of the 8x32s at the Bozeman store but it is possible one of their other stores has a pair. If one calls any of their stores they can check for you as all their inventory is on their database. They also have a big discount on a pair of Zeiss 8x32s but I’m not sure of the model (Victory?) or price.

Thanks I might call them tomorrow.

Heck I'LL give you a big discount on some Victory FL 8X32s! ;)

I REALLY like my EDG 8X42....SUPER binocular....but I didn't pay $1800 for it. I know everyone is different but I don't think I would pay $1800 for a 8X32 EDG.

406-586-4381 . They’re always nice but some of the salespeople in the optics department are more knowledgeable than others. Hopefully they have a good deal for you. If the Zeiss are the current Victory’s they should be a pretty good deal. I looked through them awhile ago for fun and they were very nice. Good luck.

OK thanks. Does that run through the 25th or end tonight?

In one place is says:

Offer ends 4/25/18 at 11:59PM CDT

In another place it says:

It's Now or Never! 10% Off Orders of $75 or More —

Monday, April 23 12:00 AM – Thursday, April 26 12:00 AM CDT

Either way, you are good through at least Wednesday night.

Optics Planet used to be a Swaro dealer but they had a falling out for reasons not made public, several years ago.

I purchased my 8X32 EDG-II about the time the Swaro EL SV 8X32 came out and went with the Nikon and I have no regrets. There are just to many quirks with the Swaro that are important to me that I have not been able to dismiss. They are the focus stiction (now improved), the glare, and some rolling ball. They are all the reasons Dennis sold his. There are a lot of things I really like about the little Swaro, especially the easy eye placement but it just was not enough to go for it when there were great close outs on the pre Profield models. We all have are own weighted priorities so what bothers me may not be a concern to others.

What kind of a fool would pay those prices when way lower prices are on the same page lol.
You'll often see this with books (used or out of print) also, a range of prices, some quite insane. I think there must be different algorithms involved, because when there have been multiple inquiries (this happened with a group of people I know who were all interested in the same book) the prices will actually increase! Someone somewhere thinks this will be profitable.

Bob,

Sorry to infer you bought off Amazon, I would have no idea. Just looking for confirmation of prices directly from Nikon regarding the EDG.

Andy W.

No problem with that, Andy.

Now that the EDGs have been discontinued I expect their prices will be all over the place. IMO a brand new Nikon EDG II that could save you $500.00 to $1000.00 on an equivalent Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski would be a very good deal!

It is important to stay with the EDG II and away from the EDG I. Although the optics in them are the same the EDG I was discontinued by Nikon in 2010 for good reasons which involved its covering and the focus wheel.

Bob

Where I look such as B&H and Amazon there are no EDG II. Just EDG?

BC

That is probably because the old EDG I which was sold only in North America has all but disappeared from the markets. It was introduced in 2007 or 2008.

The EDG II was introduced in Europe in 2010.

What is important to remember is that the EDG I, unlike the EDG II, had double hinges like the Swarovski ELs have.

In any case, stay away from them.

I got my Nikon 10x32 EDG I from Eagle Optics after it was discontinued in 2010. Nikon was unloading them and they threw in a discontinued SLR and Zoom lens with it. Full price for both of them was $999.00. I sold the Camera to a friend for $250.00. Bigger models cost somewhat more and they sold out quickly.

I happily used the binocular for nearly 3 years when the covering started to bubble on it so I called Nikon under my warranty (I had registered it with them) about it and was told to send it to them for evaluation. Rather than repair it Nikon elected to replace it with my current 10x32 EDG (the one we call an EDG II) at no cost to me. It is the single hinge model and it is still working perfectly.

Bob

Last edited:
Where I look such as B&H and Amazon there are no EDG II. Just EDG?

That is correct.

Nikon originally came out with the EDG as a double hinge model and only offered it in the USA. About a year later, they changed the body design to the now current single hinge design and introduced it world wide. However they did not change the name with the new single hinge, just the model numbers.

As you can imagine, this creates issues for folks like us writing about the two models. So as a matter of convention, some of us Forum members adopted a style of referencing the original version as EDG-I and the second version as EDG-II. That is all to make life easier for you when reading about them! :t:

Swaro has now done the same thing with the new Campanion CL. It creates confusion in the marketplace when companies do that. Seems to me that is bad for business because if a potential customer is confused, they are less likely to make a decision to buy.

Edit: Looks like I started writing just before Bob posted. Optically, the EDG-I and EDG-II appear to be the same. Going to the EDG-II is no guarantee against bubbles in the covering. I know a person who had that issue with two EDG-II 8X32 models. That seems to be an on and off issue with multiple Nikon models. I have a 10X32 in the EDG-I without issues, but given a choice, I would go with the EDG-II if for no reason other than better resale value.

Last edited:

So, I called Bob Ward's this morning. First thing I heard was that they had a 10x42 on 'permanent markdown' at $1329. I then asked them to check their other outlets for an 8x42. I waited and waited. Next thing I hear is that they've located an 8x42 for $1700, and that the price that he gave me on the 10x42 was 'incorrect', and that it was also $1700.

Not sure why they would change the price, unless they think a discontinued binocular is worth more than they thought it was a few weeks ago.

End of story!

-Bill

OK, I stopped in Bob Wards and checked the Bino case. They now have the 8x42 EDG marked at $2,400 and the 10x42 at $2,500! The 10x42s were definitely $1,329 last week as I took them outside with a pair of Conquests. I didn’t even bother to ask about it as most of the salespeople are clueless. They do have a pair of Victory FL T 10x32s in their case marked at $1,509. I wonder what the price would be if someone called.

They will sit, then they will lower the price after a period of inactivity-no interest, then one has to jump on-it.

Andy W.

They will sit, then they will lower the price after a period of inactivity-no interest, then one has to jump on-it.

Andy W.

Maybe someone who works there monitors Bird Forum, and decided that with all this buzz we're generating, they are justified in raising the prices. The reason they marked them down in the first place was that they'd been sitting there....

Optics planet has the EDG 8x32 for $1989 and you can get 10% off that price the rest of today. I assume they have the 42s also. I'd buy one but I'm on the fence to go for the Swaro 8x32 EL. If the EDG had a slightly larger FOV I'd live with the extra weight and bite. I'm guessing it's a fantastic optic.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back