• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the Zeiss SFL 8x40 worth the difference in price over the Nikon MHG 8x42? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Supporter
I like my SLC 8x56 for static use and when I don't hike too far, but I am looking for a good lightweight 8x42 for hiking further distances. I have tried the NL 8x42, and it is a little heavy for a 42 mm and I had glare problems with it and I tried the Zeiss SF 8x42 four times and I get an orange crescent of glare in the lower right edge of the FOV which I believe is related to my shallow eye sockets.

The Zeiss SF 8x42 is also a little heavier than I want, but I want a 42 mm for the easy eye placement and brighter image in low light. My choices have come down to the Nikon MHG 8x42 or Zeiss SFL 8x40. The Nikon is about $900 and the Zeiss is about $1600. Of those members that have compared these two or own both, is the Zeiss worth the difference in price? I ordered both of them, and they are coming, but I would be interested in some opinions on both of them and how they compare, so I will know what to look for.

You're right, and it can vary from person to person. I was just trying to see if the SFL's were worth the difference to other members. When I get them both and have had a chance to evaluate them, I will give my opinion on the two of them. Thanks!

if youve ordered them then surely you will like one or the other its your choice im struggling to see why the question is being asked? if i want curry or fish and chips for a meal and cannot choose at the end of the day its my decision why the constant questions you either like one or the other its not hard

its your choice

if youve ordered them then surely you will like one or the other its your choice im struggling to see why the question is being asked? if i want curry or fish and chips for a meal and cannot choose at the end of the day its my decision why the constant questions you either like one or the other its not hard

its your choice
I wanted to get other people opinions on the two because sometimes it helps to see different angles when making a different decision. I get the Nikon MHG 8x42 today and the SFL 8x40 Saturday. I will post what I think of the MHG compared to my SLC 8x56 today.

I really thought you had and sold both the SFL and MHG. One question when does the big aperture go on sale, I am always looking for a deal,....no.... scratch that not interested in the Conquest.

I really thought you had and sold both the SFL and MHG. One question when does the big aperture go on sale, I am always looking for a deal,....no.... scratch that not interested in the Conquest.
You would be surprised how good the Conquest HD 10x56 is! Everybody loves the Conquest HD 10x42, right. Well, the Conquest HD 10x56 is just like it, except it is on steroids.

I am really, really glad I am NOT the only one who read this and thought 'what the hell is going on?'
I know , it’s bizarre right? He had them both, he wrote about how good each one was when he had them. Then he sold them (at different times) and then complained on different threads about all the bad issues with them. He may have already deleted all or many of the old posts. It’s beyond bizarre , it’s astonishing.

I’m really surprised and baffled why he doesn’t go on the best Binocular review site, of all time and space , allbinos.com , and get all the information that he needs. The review site that he agrees with 100% of the time ,most of the time, sometimes. 😳

Paul

From that link:
"These are Zeiss SFL 8x40 binoculars that have been out of the box a couple of times and are like new. $1599.95 with Free USPS Priority shipping to CONUS. I only need one alpha pair of binoculars, and it was hard to decide between these and my Swarovski NL 8x32's because they are similar size and weight. In the end, I preferred the NL's for their bigger FOV and sharper edges, although these have the advantage of better low light performance and easier eye placement because of the larger exit pupil. I use my birding binoculars mostly during the day and I appreciate the bigger FOV of the NL's a little more, and I don't get the glare with the smaller NL's that I did with the bigger 8x42 NL."

Did I just read this? Better glare with smaller over bigger? Even "I dont get the glare.." interpretable as glares not an issue??

Well I got the Nikon HG 8x42 today and it is very nice. It is very bright, and it has very saturated colors colors say compared to the Zeiss Conquest HD. I compared it to my SLC 8x56 and of course the SLC was better, but the HG was very good for a 42 mm, and it does have a bigger FOV with quite sharp edges.

It only weighed 23 oz. on my postal scale, and that has to be class leading for a 42 mm. I get the Zeiss SFL 8x40 tomorrow, so I will compare them and keep the one I like best, then either sell or return the other.

I have my fingers crossed that I will like the HG better than the SFL because it is $800 cheaper, but I will bet it is the other way around. More to come.

So tomorrow we answer the question is the Zeiss twice as nice at twice the price? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
You would be surprised how good the Conquest HD 10x56 is! Everybody loves the Conquest HD 10x42, right. Well, the Conquest HD 10x56 is just like it, except it is on steroids.
I would be very surprised if the10x56 conquest bettered any of the latest premium 8x42 or 10x42 offerings; except possibly in the first & last 1% of very low light.

They're 1363g in weight and obviously extremely large, so I fail to understand why you keep recommending them in nearly every thread here.
I certainly won't be buying them. My 9x63 (even better for those extreme low light moments? 😆) is kept in the car.

Your words:
Dennis:
"The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 makes the Swarovski SLC 8x56 look like a Munchkin fromThe Wizard of Oz, and I know how HUGE the SLC is because I had one."

www.scopeviews.co.uk
www.scopeviews.co.uk

image044.jpg

Last edited:
I know , it’s bizarre right? He had them both, he wrote about how good each one was when he had them. Then he sold them (at different times) and then complained on different threads about all the bad issues with them. He may have already deleted all or many of the old posts. It’s beyond bizarre , it’s astonishing.

I’m really surprised and baffled why he doesn’t go on the best Binocular review site, of all time and space , allbinos.com , and get all the information that he needs. The review site that he agrees with 100% of the time ,most of the time, sometimes. 😳

Paul
I've given up trying to keep track of what he has and what he has had - I think even Dennis does not know anymore!! It's pretty pointless anyway as he changes his mind on each binocular within a blink of an eye, making any opinion he has completely worthless.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back