• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the Zeiss SFL 8x40 worth the difference in price over the Nikon MHG 8x42? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the fuss about the "ignore feature", I have never used it and never will: if you don't like the posts by a certain member then don't read them, just skip them. I believe this feature is mainly used to show disagreement with or even humiliate someone: "I put you on my ignore list". Red Steve should consider whether this feature is really useful.

Regarding buying and selling binos, some people (including members of the BF) are "binoculars butterflies": they do their research, buy and try what they believe it's the best choice for them, enjoy their new binos like a kid enjoys a new toy, but after a while they find their new binos are not issue free so they sell them and.....move on to another "flower" that has better "nectar". Usually the binos that they sell are like new and they are sold at a heavily discounted price, to the benefit of other members. What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
On another forum I asked for a couple of extra response emoticons to be included to allow endorsements a little more nuanced than 'Like' or 'HaHa'.

One of these was a Question Mark designed to denote occasions where readers wish to express a response in cases where they deem that information presented as factual is potentially dubious.

This allows posts that are clearly opinion presented as fact, or otherwise poorly referenced, to be quickly endorsed as such by other users.

Of course, the original poster and / or the respondents are then at liberty to discuss the reasons for the endorsements but raising challenges this way tends to focus the discussion rather than have it descend into a barrage of tedious playground insults.

It also, perhaps, serves to make posters think more carefully about the way they present information in the first place. No one (sane) would want to be hit by 20+ question marks just because of an over-reaching presentation of what might be a perfectly valid opinion. Opinion is fine, providing it's clearly and unequivocally presented as such.

It's by no means perfect but it does tend to very quickly show trends regarding the veracity of an individual's posts. It can also serve to demonstrate trends that might indicate a tendency towards purely vindictive behaviour.

Another of the response emoticons adopted has been 'Good Information'.

These emoticons, once established, allow newcomers to interpret the various trends and thereafter make a perhaps more informed decision regarding which information / posters they would prefer to rely upon for factual information.

Dennis has been "wolf whistled at".

He has taken offence.

The opinion and attempted justification of the ' lads' who did the wolf whistling are not really relevant.
If one reads the posts aimed at Dennis and some others over a protracted period of time, they are, imho, out of order.

There is no justification to attack and criticise individuals for their opinions, that is a red line crossed.

Let's hope the moderators stop this activity dead in its tracks going forward.

Discuss optics and offer opinions, but please stop attacking other people's opinions...... it gets really tedious.

As a member of Dennis alleged gang, I think I have the right to say a few words:
1) It was Dennis' choice to leave the forum, no one forced him off, he is not the victim here.
2) The facts speak for themselves - he was repeatedly banned for offensive comments and also reprimanded for other infringements like posting photos in a way that made it seem he had taken them himself but which were simply taken from the 'net.
Ok, no more about him - lets all move forward from here.....

1701855314235.png

Last edited:
As a member of Dennis alleged gang, I think I have the right to say a few words:
1) It was Dennis' choice to leave the forum, no one forced him off, he is not the victim here.
2) The facts speak for themselves - he was repeatedly banned for offensive comments and also reprimanded for other infringements like posting photos in a way that made it seem he had taken them himself but which were simply taken from the 'net.
Ok, no more about him - lets all move forward from here.....

View attachment 1547315
" It was Dennis' choice to leave the forum, no one forced him off, he is not the victim here."

That is not true. I am the victim. I was forced off by continual bullying and harassment from you and other members. As exup says, there is no justification to attack and criticize people for their opinions. I hope moving forward the moderators stop this activity because the other members don't appreciate it, it denigrates Bird Forum and it disrupts the threads. Once a member starts name-calling and harassing other members to the point that they don't feel like posting anymore it is time for them to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back