• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seven Buzzards (1 Viewer)

sooseee

There were seven buzzards wheeling and swooping , meeting and separating late this afternoon above farmland- one more than the rest 'mewing'. Is it usual to see such a large group? Would love to know what was happening!
Thanks, Sue.

Hi Sue, that's a usual time for Buzzard's gatherings. In Poland flocks may reach 40 like today (7th Sep) over Bialystok town
Rgds
TomekQ

I saw a flock of nine last week. I assumed it was two neighbouring family groups that had joined together following the breeding season.

Thanks-saw two at really close quarters in a field today- perhaps I'm just noticing more! Very different plumage, one a really white breast area- wonder if it was a young one-Cheers, Sue.

sooseee said:
Very different plumage, one a really white breast area- wonder if it was a young one-Cheers, Sue.

Buzzards do vary a lot in plumage, from almost all-white to very dark chocolate brown and everything in between. So much so that the French name for the common buzzard is Buse variable.

Buzzards are not that numerous here in Surrey, and a few weeks back 11 were seen together over my local patch.

So, of what number could the gatherings get to in areas where they are common?

Quite alot I would guess.

sooseee said:
There were seven buzzards wheeling and swooping , meeting and separating late this afternoon above farmland- one more than the rest 'mewing'. Is it usual to see such a large group? Would love to know what was happening!
Thanks, Sue.

Hi Sue,
Yes as mentioned Sept. & Oct. are Buzzard gathering months. What is happenening is this: each pair in your area defends a territory (often very small around the nest area) and each pair will soar on their territory and "meet the neighbours", which they are familiar with. There is no real antagonism they are just reinforcing the territory.
All the birds tend to drift with the wind and keep together until they all disperse to their own patch again.
This tends to happen as the first thermals start in the morning - or if there is wind.
At this time of year there are also young birds - some juvs from this year & immatures from previous years. Some of the older juvs also defend a territory & are always on the lookout for one if not. They will try to find one as close to their birth site as possible.
You can tell the adults from the young by the dark trailing edge to the wings - the other plumage details are not important. The young have barring on the underside of the wings & lack the dark bar. Once you get your eye in you will see this on each bird. The pairs often keep together - see if you can see the size difference in the larger females - bulkier bodies - they will often circle one above the other.
When a young bird crosses over territories of pairs they will all rise up and chase it off & this starts another round of "meet the neighbours"!
This can keep you amused for hours - watch out for other raptors getting involved in the circling - Sparrowhawks particularly. I once saw 12 Buzzards 3 Sparrowhawks, 2 Hobbies & a Kestrel all interacting - finishing with a Hobby stooping on a male Sparrowhawk - & easily outpacing it as it dived to the trees ! If you want to know more ask away.
Halftwo.

Thanks, everyone, I'm learning alot! Halftwo-I think I'm taking quite a while 'getting my eye in' , and also am only familiar with buzzards, kestrels and sparrowhawks, although saw red kites and a peregrine falcon in Wales-was in a group and helped at the time by a professional. Must have been amazing seeing such a mixed group of raptors. Saw a single buzzard circling on the West Somerset coast today and eventually heading out to sea across the Bristol channel.
Sue.

sooseee said:
Thanks, everyone, I'm learning alot! Halftwo-I think I'm taking quite a while 'getting my eye in' , and also am only familiar with buzzards, kestrels and sparrowhawks, although saw red kites and a peregrine falcon in Wales-was in a group and helped at the time by a professional. Must have been amazing seeing such a mixed group of raptors. Saw a single buzzard circling on the West Somerset coast today and eventually heading out to sea across the Bristol channel.
Sue.

Sue,
It took me a while when Buzzards started breeding in Cheshire about 10-12 years ago & of course you have to get decent views. It helps that at this time of year many of the adults look rather ragged whereas the juvs are pristine.
A study had shown that the Buzzards were returning to natal areas for their own territories and then densities built & territory size gets reduced as they get commoner in an area.
I would think N Devon has always had a good density of Buzzards - the recent trend in lack of persecution has helped them expand into most of England where they used to be shot & poisoned.
They were a real rarity round here but now I have them nesting in my local wood - which I wouldn't have thought possible when I moved here.
We frequently get a dozen or more circling.
In Jan-Mar you will see them displaying (sometimes at other times of the year) when they make spectacular dives on closed wings & then looping out & up before repeating.
Good hunting.

Halftwo

From all the replies it would seem that Buzzards are becoming common in other areas. Lived in Norfolk as a child but remember the excitement of seeing my first Buzzard in Somerset. Have always seen Buzzards in N. Devon, Halftwo , since mid seventies, but only recently have been trying to 'hone' my sightings and your advice is a real help, thanks.Would be curious to know which part of Devon you saw your six, Jyothi.

Saw 15 in the space of 5 minutes last Monday here on the Dorset/Somerset border. As the first ones flew from view they were replaced by more from the same direction. They were making use of the thermals and several went so high that they were merely dots, even through bins. They are common around the Dorset Downs and the hills of south Somerset, but that is the largest number that I`ve seen in such as short space of time and being pretty certain that it was 15 different individuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back