• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I sell the Noctivid 8x42, replace with the new Swarovski 8x42 NL Pure? (1 Viewer)

Irrespective of what anyone writes, here or anywhere else, I would never do such a thing without a careful comparison and trial.

It’s too individual, and it’s too subjective to decide based on what someone else says.

Last edited:
There’s a really good one where he compares the Nocs, SF and NL’s.
I’ve wondered…. Does the guy come here, read and report what he reads here. Too often his comments are dead nuts BF. How does an individual get his hands on enough binos to be able to say with such certainty. Is he a birder, a hunter? Where’s he getting his “experience”? I watched a hunting vid he did couple years ago, was pretty clear he was not a hunter. Compared with Rinella, etc ….

I’ve wondered…. Does the guy come here, read and report what he reads here. Too often his comments are dead nuts BF. How does an individual get his hands on enough binos to be able to say with such certainty. Is he a birder, a hunter? Where’s he getting his “experience”? I watched a hunting vid he did couple years ago, was pretty clear he was not a hunter. Compared with Rinella, etc ….
Hmm, maybe he does come here, Ion is a birder and hunter as well as a photographer by trade. Maybe it’s his experience mirrors much of what is said here. If you are interested start from number one and you’ll get the whole picture on where he gets the binoculars , which ones he returns or sells and which ones he keeps and why. I’m not sure which video your referring to, but I think anybody with a hunting gun and license, scouting for deer with binoculars sure looks like a hunter to me. As far as experience, that’s another conversation. Hey here’s a thought , maybe BF gets gets its comments from him, cant tell you how many times I’ve heard his less than objective comments repeated here 😳.

Paul

Hmm, maybe he does come here, Ion is a birder and hunter as well as a photographer by trade. Maybe it’s his experience mirrors much of what is said here. If you are interested start from number one and you’ll get the whole picture on where he gets the binoculars , which ones he returns or sells and which ones he keeps and why. I’m not sure which video your referring to, but I think anybody with a hunting gun and license, scouting for deer with binoculars sure looks like a hunter to me. As far as experience, that’s another conversation. Hey here’s a thought , maybe BF gets gets its comments from him, cant tell you how many times I’ve heard his less than objective comments repeated here 😳.

Paul
I used to watch him. Stopped after I began thinking this way. I think you've flipped it. He says that he does those things. Where? Go back and see if you can find this early hunting one he did. Supposed deer hunt, broad daylight, Cali coast not far from here. Dude's supposedly stalking and whispering, no deer in sight, shiny new black rifle, donated by a gun store, no miles, no patina. Whew. Embarrassing. You do know Steve Rinella, Randy Newberg? Compare and contrast my friend.

Woops antis'll be all over us. Point though? Credibility. Just cuz he talks like someone here on Birdforum saying rather than writing does that make it more true or just another opinion? Look at the videos he supplies, allegedly through the bino to make his points. Do they even match what he says? Why is he whispering?

As has been said over and over, at this top of the line level, it all boils down to personal preference. I was tongue in cheek when I said I’m on board! I personally prefer Leica but would be happy with Swaro or Zeiss. The reviewer is pretty enthusiastic but he doesn’t say anything we don’t know and he never mentions CA. That said, I take him for his word that he owned both NL and NV and preferred the NV. The next guy could easily go the other way.

I used to watch him. Stopped after I began thinking this way. I think you've flipped it. He says that he does those things. Where? Go back and see if you can find this early hunting one he did. Supposed deer hunt, broad daylight, Cali coast not far from here. Dude's supposedly stalking and whispering, no deer in sight, shiny new black rifle, donated by a gun store, no miles, no patina. Whew. Embarrassing. You do know Steve Rinella, Randy Newberg? Compare and contrast my friend.
Lol. Tom I think your thinking to much into it. No one is saying he’s this big famous hunter guy. He’s just another average Joe (in this case Ion) out there in the field in different scenic areas checking out some nice binoculars , and trying to ad some dramatics. It’s not the sometimes dry boring videos we often see. He makes look like fun, and very much the equipment geek.
Woops antis'll be all over us. Point though? Credibility. Just cuz he talks like someone here on Birdforum saying rather than writing does that make it more true or just another opinion? Look at the videos he supplies, allegedly through the bino to make his points. Do they even match what he says? Why is he whispering?
Yup, there all just opinions and going about telling their opinions in different ways. It’s a nice refreshing change when the image and build is being discussed about throughout, if that makes any sense.

As has been said over and over, at this top of the line level, it all boils down to personal preference. I was tongue in cheek when I said I’m on board! I personally prefer Leica but would be happy with Swaro or Zeiss. The reviewer is pretty enthusiastic but he doesn’t say anything we don’t know and he never mentions CA. That said, I take him for his word that he owned both NL and NV and preferred the NV. The next guy could easily go the other way.
John I’ve probably watched every one of his vids , and some multiple times. I didn’t watch this one again but if you watch some of the earlier ones where he reviews Ultravids and the Nocs he does mention CA quite a bit. He doesn’t say it’s a deal breaker , he just discusses the amount in comparison to the other alpha category options that he’s also reviewed. CA is a very subjective thing, watching his videos on Leica’s actually prevented me , or should I say put me off from buying the more expensive Leica’s for a while , especially after trying the Trinovid HD which was unacceptable to me at that price point.

Paul

I watched three of the videos. That was enough. It's too bad there are people here who apparently take the guy's schtick seriously.
There fun Henry, the guy is a character, the scenery is nice , he talks a little bit about the characteristics of the image. Not always accurate, like a half a dozen other review sites some here visit. Apparently there weren’t enough of those people to take the guys schtiick seriously, because the website didn’t really become very successful.

Try an HT, Noctivid view with no CA

As much as I like the HT image - and I really do it's one of the very few x42s that wowed me straight away in both 8x and 10x and much preferred to the SF - I think the Noctivid is sharper, more contrasty and more true-to-life colour saturated. It also suffers less from glare than the HT 10x I owned. However, you are right in saying that it can exhibit CA in tough situations if you don't get the eye position just right, and in this it's more fussy to use. I have to say though that becoming familiar with precise IPD and eye cup settings (using O-rings or winged eye cups for small changes if necessary) has made even small amounts of CA in the central 50% almost a thing of the past.

I wouldn't sell the Noctivid's. They have less glare, less RB, more saturated colors, they are sharper on-axis, have more 3D, better build quality by far and in general have a more pleasing beautiful view than an NL. The only thing the NL has is a bigger FOV and you don't need it because it is too big to take it all in at once. I will take quality over quantity any day of the week and twice on Tuesday! A Noctivid knocks the NL out of the park.
I have both if I had to keep one it would be nl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back