• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sika Deer at the lovely RSPB Arne .... (1 Viewer)

rjmartin

Hey Everyone :)

I haven't been on here in a little while but I wanted to share with you a brief account of my trip to the RSPB's reserve at Arne just last week.

I visited Arne for the first time last year, I had seen 5 of the 6 Deer species that can be found in the UK in the wild and I wanted to see the Sika. I headed to Arne last October for a day trip, it was a 3 hour trip each way as I live up in the Midlands - it was well worth the trip though and I was able to see the Deer along with the Spoonbills and a few other bits & bobs :)

I hadn't planned on visiting Arne again this year due to the long distance in one day and I had planned some Deer rutting trips out nearer home at the likes of Bradgate Park in Leicestershire and the Wyre Forest in Worcestershire. However I booked a few nights away back in August for this October in Dorset without giving Arne a thought. It was only when I looked on Google Maps a few weeks ago and found that Arne was only 40 mins away from my holiday destination that I decided on popping in again!

We visited Arne on Tuesday the 15th, spent most of the day there and saw plenty of Deer as well as the Spoonbills again. The Deer were the highlight though, the Stags cry that they make at this time of year is incredible, it sounds so different to the other Deer. I managed to film some videos over the day and I have made a relatively short clip below giving you an idea of the things I saw.

Whilst watching some of the Sika Stags in the field next to the farm as it was getting dusk, a female (a Hind) Deer appeared from nowhere and must have crept up on me as I wasn't aware of her presence until she was right behind me. I couldn't believe how tame she was, this is definitely the closest I have got to a Deer in the "wild" - a real incredible experience :)

Standing in the woods as it got dusk with just the Deer for company was brilliant, the cry the Stags is even more impressive under the cover of semi-darkness!

Photos:

Sika Hind & Calf

Sika Stag

Sunset at Arne

Video:

Sika Deer at RSPB Arne, Dorset - 15th October 2013 - YouTube

I had a lovely few nights in Dorset, it was nice to have a break, get by the seaside and get away from work! Arne was definitely the highlight!

Best Wishes,

Rob

P.S - Arne is a lovely reserve, if you haven't been I highly recommend a visit!

Last edited:
Arne is a great place HOWEVER the Sika rut is on. Be very careful around stags for the next couple of months - best to stay well away or make sure you can climb a tree quickly.

John

Wise words John :)

Be very careful around stags for the next couple of months

The Sika rut will typically run from September to November John, it does seem to be a little behind this year but if anyone is heading down I wouldn't leave it a couple of months.

Cheers, Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back