• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skua ? (1 Viewer)

For sure. It looks superficially like great Skua but I don't think it can be with that thin beak.

My best guess is dark phase Arctic because of the extent of white in the wings (doesn't extend to the inner primaries) and lack of obvious barring in the vent area. If not that then pomarine

For sure. It looks superficially like great Skua but I don't think it can be with that thin beak.

My best guess is dark phase Arctic because of the extent of white in the wings (doesn't extend to the inner primaries) and lack of obvious barring in the vent area. If not that then pomarine
You compared what I said to three different birds, and yes, I agree it's one of the three.

Structurally, apart from bill size, as The Fern states, it looks like a Great Skua. An Arctic, even with either a full crop or belly would exhibit longer slimmer wings? New inner primaries after post juvenile moult, perhaps. Will have to look at references for the undertail / vent barring of 1st winter Skuas. Good set of images, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back