• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x30 or EL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

That definitely is an attractive price for the SLCs. I would jump at them for that price. Though it means little I think you made an excellent decision.

erikschupp said:
I went to Bass Pro and compared the Leica Ultravid 8x32, Swarovski EL 8x32, Zeiss FL 8x32 and the Swarovski 8x30 SLC (I went to a dark area of the store).

The Leicas were just a little bit brighter then all, followed closely behind by both Swarovski's and the Zeiss.

Both the Swarovski's had better edge to edge clarity then the other two (a very noticible differance). The Zeiss being the worst.

The EL's felt the best in hand followed by the SLC's and the Ultravid, then the Zeiss.

Optically I could find no differance between the EL's and the SLC's.

So for the money I feel I made the best choice....... The 8x30 SLC's for $799. Best all around regarless of the price.

All of these binoculars were so close, but the edge to edge clarity and the price of the SLC's won hands down.

Thank you all for the input.

Hi, just had my older 8X30 SLCs stolen from my rental car in Alaska and have been considering the 8X32s as a replacement. My wife has the EL 10X42s so I have those to borrow if I need more mag. If I could find a pair of 8X30 SLCs at $799 I would forget about the ELs and order today...where did you find them at $799? Thanks!

Tero said:
I think he mentioned his local Bass Proshop
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.OnlineShopping
store locations listed there
the on line price is $999
they do have in store specials

Swarovski seems to limit the low end sale price for authorized dealerships. Perhaps the $799 was for Grey/non-US version which might be a consideration but typically you can't get items serviced in the US if you buy the "Grey" version and circumvent the middleman.

I seem to remember the "old SLC" 8x30 being on sale last spring for around that price. Perhaps that is what is being discussed.

erikschupp said:
I found a pair on E-bay. It has US warrenty and all the accesories.

I sent the seller an email asking more details of the binos. If warrenty is no good I will send them back just as soon as I get them. So you have to buy them from an authorized dealer for the warrenty to be valid???

erikschupp said:
I sent the seller an email asking more details of the binos. If warrenty is no good I will send them back just as soon as I get them. So you have to buy them from an authorized dealer for the warrenty to be valid???

Erik,

In order to have a valid Swaro US warranty, the binoculars must have been distributed originally through Swarovski Optik North America (SONA), and not through an overseas dealer. The latter are called "Grey Market," and SONA will not recognize them under their warranty. They know which is which just by the serial numbers. So, if your binoculars arrive with a SONA warranty card all is well. If not, think about returning them.

Great choice, by the way. The price you paid is excellent, but still well within the range of a legitimate Swaro dealer.

Blue skies,
Ed

PS. I just located your auction. By golly, you bought a Swaro 8x30 SLC Neu for that price. Outstanding! If they have any valid Swarovski warranty at all I'd be inclined to keep them. What a deal.

Last edited:
PS. I just located your auction. By golly, you bought a Swaro 8x30 SLC Neu for that price. Outstanding! If they have any valid Swarovski warranty at all I'd be inclined to keep them. What a deal.

That definitely puts a different light on things. I sincerely hope the warranty is valid because then you received quite a deal!

FrankD said:
That definitely puts a different light on things. I sincerely hope the warranty is valid because then you received quite a deal!

They are supposed to arrive tomorrow. If they have a warrenty card with them then I will be VERY happy. If not I will be sending them back to the gentlemen that sold them to me. Thank for the input guys, that makes me feel a little better knowing what to expect.

erikschupp said:
I found a pair on E-bay. It has US warrenty and all the accesories.

I'm assuming these are the older 8x30 SLC's, not the "updated" version?

$799 is a decent price. I got mine (the 2005 version w/ Swarobright) last May for $720 and I had seen them as low as $689.

Brad_A said:
I'm assuming these are the older 8x30 SLC's, not the "updated" version?

$799 is a decent price. I got mine (the 2005 version w/ Swarobright) last May for $720 and I had seen them as low as $689.

Hello, I contacted the seller and someone that bought another pair from him and they both said that it had the North American warranty with them. When I get them tommorow I will post to let you know if mine has them. If they do, and anybody else is interested in a pair I can give you the sellers info. I also sent him e-mail asking if he had anymore.

Brad, these are the 8x30 SLC NEU.

Take care, Erik

elkcub said:
Nope, just need a Swaro registration card.

I received my binos today!! They are brand new with warranty and all. I also got a free Swarovski bino harness with them. I know there supposed to be no differance between the SLC and the SLC neu except for the outer coating, but for some reason these seem a little sharper then my 7x42 SLC's. I am one VERY pleased 2nd time around Swarovski owner. The gentlemen I bought these from said that when he has more, he will let me know so I can post it on here (8x30 SLC neu for $799). I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa today. I just kept looking for the UPS man all day (I didn't even go hunting today). Take care all and have a Great Christmas. Erik

erikschupp said:
I received my binos today!! They are brand new with warranty and all. I also got a free Swarovski bino harness with them. I know there supposed to be no differance between the SLC and the SLC neu except for the outer coating, but for some reason these seem a little sharper then my 7x42 SLC's. I am one VERY pleased 2nd time around Swarovski owner. The gentlemen I bought these from said that when he has more, he will let me know so I can post it on here (8x30 SLC neu for $799). I felt like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa today. I just kept looking for the UPS man all day (I didn't even go hunting today). Take care all and have a Great Christmas. Erik

Congratulations!

Ed

erikschupp said:

Eric, Are the ones you received the 8X30 NEU? Part number should be 58126. If so you got a really good deal!

Jwake said:
Eric, Are the ones you received the 8X30 NEU? Part number should be 58126. If so you got a really good deal!

Yes Sir, I received the 8x30 neu. Optics are great. May sound funny, but they are more crisp then my 7x42 SLC's (older model w/swarobright)

erikschupp said:
Yes Sir, I received the 8x30 neu. Optics are great. May sound funny, but they are more crisp then my 7x42 SLC's (older model w/swarobright)

Ed, thank you for all your insightfull information. It really helped me make my decision.

Also, I shoot a doe tonight......... putting meat in the freezer.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back