• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovak Bird - Sensible Suggestions Please!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Tim D

Ok so I sent the following message twice today, but have attracted some rather sarcastic answers. I hope some one sensible can help me. Basically I was in slovakia and saw a bird that looked very much like a Magpie. But........ It wasn't a magpie, i have seen many magpies in my life and this wasn't one. It looked more smooth and was purely black and white (no green or purple). I was stood right next it so it was easy to see. Does any one have any ideas?????????

Tim

I've just come back from a holiday in Slovakia where I saw a very strange bird that I am unable to identify. I was in the Tatra Mountains next to a lake at about 1300m above sea level. The bird I saw was very much like an English Magpie, about the same size, but just Black and White. The black and white was very defined colour. The bird was flying around in the trees and then landed on the floor to peck around by the lake.

I hope someone can help me identify this bird, I can't find anything like it in any books

Tim

Tim - I didn't reply because I can't think of anything that is the size and shape of a magpie that is black and white and isn't a magpie. The mapies colours are refraction based - the feathers are actually black perhaps the bird has a mutation that prevents the colours showing...

Was there any stuctural difference to a Magpie...?

Tim,
If it isn't a Eurasian Magpie, it makes me think of some kind of escapee or some kind of Crow perhaps without normal plumage color schemes. It might help if you could try to sketch it from memory. You might be getting some strange answers as people can't imagine it being other than a Magpie in that zone.

Jane Turner said:
Tim - I didn't reply because I can't think of anything that is the size and shape of a magpie that is black and white and isn't a magpie. The mapies colours are refraction based - the feathers are actually black perhaps the bird has a mutation that prevents the colours showing...

Was there any stuctural difference to a Magpie...?

Hi yeah, thanks for the sensible reply. I'm starting to think that I just imagined this bird, but Im sure that I didn't. It definately was not a magpie, It had a very similar bill, but had a shorter tail. It was much more defined in the sense that the colours were pure black and white (no grey, green, black etc). Im really confused cos I was right next to this bird and it was definately not a magpie. I wish I had taken a picture of it.

Tim

Tim,

Can you tell us something about the distribution of the black and white on the body. What color was the head, belly, back, wings,tail etc.

Tim,
Here's going out on a limb for you. I recall about six months ago seeing a picture of Sturnus burmannicus taken somewhere in Western Europe. How about an escaped Sturnus melanopterus?

cuckooroller said:
Tim,
Here's going out on a limb for you. I recall about six months ago seeing a picture of Sturnus burmannicus taken somewhere in Western Europe. How about an escaped Sturnus melanopterus?

Thanks, but to be honest with yoy I can't really remember exactly the colour ditribution, but im pretty sure the wings and head were black and there were patches around the neck that were black. I think that I will never know what I saw, but thanks for the help.

Tim

Look at this and tell me how it is different from what you saw.

Attachments

• Copsychus saularis prosthopellus 77.jpg
    Copsychus saularis prosthopellus 77.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 136
Hi there,
Is there any chance that the bird is simply a magpie without it's full tail feathers? I understand how adamant you are that it is a "different" species but birds that are missing tails or parts thereof can give a real impression of something "new". Last year I had a grey wagtail without it's tail feathers and that bird caused quite a stir for another experienced birder and myself for a couple of minutes until we had better views.
Also, your identification points are consistant with magpie; size, colour, bill strength. The "blue/green/purple" sheen is not always apparent, especially in dull light conditions.
Don't mean to rain on your parade but, I can't think of another bird which comes close to your description. Hope this is of some benefit??

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back