• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLR vs. Superzoom? (1 Viewer)

I have an old...superzoom I guess you call it - basically a digital non slr.

I haven't really gotten involved in photography and am not planning to in any extensive way. However I do want to replace my Lumix with something and it seems that a good superzoom price and a cheap slr price have possible reached some parity?

I feel like I should back up and at least ask - what does a SLR (of the lesser expensive variety) offer over a superzoom?

Superzoom: cheap, small, excellent value - they're very cheap for what they can do
SLR: better pictures, much better in low light, frames per second rather than seconds per frame, heavy, expensive.
If you're serious about taking decent photos get an SLR, if you want something to carry everywhere and take some pic.s superzoom. I use both. They haven't reached parity, or anywhere near. It depends on your priority.

Sorry about assuming the us dollars thing vs. lbs. It is an international forum, I should have said.

Good points re weight, price of body PLUS lens. I hear you on the changing lenses thing though I would probably buy one lens with some zoom and stick to it.
While I feel the pull of a "real" camera and attending quality I think a digital point and shoot may yet still be better for me in general. The idea of trying to figure out what to buy and then looking for used is already too tiring so I must not want it bad enough. Anytime I'm getting ready for a no kidding travel trip to somewhere scenic and birdy I start wanting a real camera. But that's only once, maybe twice a year.

So my next thread will be = what is going on with digital point and shoot zooms?

Thanks

Mary

Hi Mary
Sounds like you're after something that takes a decent picture but causes the minimal amount of hassle/thought. In which case, the superzoom is the perfect solution.

Try looking at this thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=192909

The newest superzooms are: Canon SX30, Nikon P500, Fuji HS20, Sony HX100V, and Panasonic FZ45 (with the new FZ47 anounced and coming to the market soon). People have had success with each of those models and would no doubt recommend them. Personally, I'm a fan of Panasonic (their image stabilisation and noise reduction software seems excellent) and would recommend them. Essentially, you can't really go too far wrong with any of them.

Good luck
Hobbes

From my point of view unless the superzooms have improved markedly the other big advantage of a DSLR (aside from those points raised above) is the shutter lag. I had a few Fuji superzooms and while they were fine for static subjects for anything moving they were very hit and miss.

I've been using a DSLR for the last five or six years and it may be that the newest generation of superzooms have addressed that issue but its something to be aware of. I'd definitely recommend trying one out in a store even if you're going to buy online.

Hi Mary

I too have used a Panasonic "bridge" (they bridge the gap between digital and SLR I presume) camera in Florida. I mention this as the light is much better than here in northern England8-P

I suppose it depends a lot on how much weight you want to carry around all day. DSLR quality comes at the price of extra weight.

I have both, although fairly modest setups, lenses etc.

For all-round fun the Panasonic FZ-18 with its 504mm equivalent lens is a great one-shop solution. I also have Canon DSLR with lenses up to 500mm (170-500mm zoom) and even a 600mmm mirror. Carrying the zoom around all day in The Magic Kingdom and Floridian heat would not be fun.

Actually walking round the MK all day ....... oops wrong forum;)

As always, best to see if you can try a few out for yourself.

I have decided to go the Super Zoom route. I have read the threads( this one and the comparing super zooms) and have boiled it down to two cameras. the DMC FZ45 + 1.7x tele convertor or the Fuji HS20EXR. I have read reviews for hours to come to this conclusion. Anyone got either camera that may help me decide.
Thanks, Bill

I have decided to go the Super Zoom route. I have read the threads( this one and the comparing super zooms) and have boiled it down to two cameras. the DMC FZ45 + 1.7x tele convertor or the Fuji HS20EXR. I have read reviews for hours to come to this conclusion. Anyone got either camera that may help me decide.
Thanks, Bill

I did have an FZ45 and was very happy with it, very sadly I dropped it and was not insured. I now have Fuji HS10 which delivers pretty gfood results. Pn balance though I think the FZ45 was the better camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back