• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small/light QUALITY cameras (1 Viewer)

RJM

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
I got to shoot with the Fuji X10 again yesterday, this time with a memory card. Write performance improved considerably with card vs. the miserly 26MB internal memory. The lens is superb and I think this could be the quality compact to have, especially if the launch price drops 50% after a few months like most Fuji's do!

I also tried the new Nikon V1. Nikon has some hits and misses with this design. Overall performance and IQ appears excellent. The softmenu is still pretty basic, especially compared to the Oly m4/3 cameras. That and the lack of button controls gives the distinct impression of an entry-level point-n-shoot for this Nikon D300s user. Then again, its Expeed III processor appears to do alot of heavy lifting so one can concentrate more on the "art" rather than the gear. The EVF is nothing special, especially after looking thru the new Sony EVF on the 5n...WOW! The V1 is certainly not a small camera, about the same size/heft as the Oly E-P3 and I don't care for the glossy/slippery finish of white version or any of the J1 cameras...same for the new Oly EPL-3 and mini and the Pany GF3 for that matter.

Finally, spent an inordinate amount of time with Pentax Q too. I really, really want to own this camera. It is certainly NOT a toy and is quite sophisticated in its features. But I just can't come to grips with its pricetag.

All that said, if I were buying a new small/light camera today the Sony 5n would be my choice given the SIMILAR PRICING of all the candidates. It is smaller that the m4/3 offering while still being easy to hold and with superior IQ.

Agree with you RJM. The Sony has a definite edge with its APS-C sized sensor that would give much lower noise readings under high ISOs.

Having said that, I'm quite interested in the Pentax Q in a strange way due to its huge 5.53x crop factor (and notwithstanding its minute sensor). It would make a good digiscoping camera for me when hooked up to my Canon 400mm F5.6 lens via an adapter. I'm mindful that this setup will limit me to using ISO 200 at best. As I came from digiscoping with a Nikon system and moved to a Canon DSLR system this year, I think this setup may sound promising, at least on paper.

Yes, price aside I actually think the Pentax Q could be the new "best choice" for digiscopers as its IQ according to the Japan reviews outperforms other compacts of similar sensor size including the Canon S95. The lenses are threaded for ~40mm filters too so one could use a slip-on instead of a swing-out adapter if desired. I would buy the double lens Q kit today if were priced closer to US$300 instead of US$1000!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back