• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So Hows your 2006 Yearlist Going then ? (1 Viewer)

A couple more today in Devon, although only one adding to the BOU total...

302: Surf Scoter
FALCATED DUCK

Also Black Red, Cirl Bunts, RNDuck, Whooper & Mandarins.

finally cleaned up some list, reports, ...
and the results are

160 European Honey-buzzard
161 Tree Pipit
162 Marsh Warbler
163 Icterine Warbler
164 Wood Warbler
165 Red-backed Shrike
166 White Stork
167 Spotted Flycatcher
168 Wood Sandpiper
169 Whiskered Tern
170 Common Redstart
171 Common Quail
172 Rose-ringed Parakeet
173 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
174 Corn Bunting
175 Glossy Ibis
176 Black Stork
177 Northern Goshawk
178 Baillon's Crake
179 Water Rail
180 Merlin
181 Water Pipit
182 Tawny Owl
183 Wood Lark

makes 183 "local"
together with 177 species in Cameroon
makes year-total-for-now of 360 species "world"

my goal at least one bird every day ...

Weymouth and East Devon today, very handy.
176 Black Redstart
177 Surf Scoter
178 Whooper Swan
179 Bearded Tit/Reedling
For the second time, dipped that cursed Falcated, but found a White-fronted Goose, a good Devon bird, and Water Rail and Cetti's at the same site (Exminster Marshes)
Brings the lifelist to 293, and Britain 186.

The Firecrest said:
Weymouth and East Devon today, very handy.
176 Black Redstart
177 Surf Scoter
178 Whooper Swan
179 Bearded Tit/Reedling
For the second time, dipped that cursed Falcated, but found a White-fronted Goose, a good Devon bird, and Water Rail and Cetti's at the same site (Exminster Marshes)
Brings the lifelist to 293, and Britain 186.

Nice one. I think the Falcated was there though.....

Yeah, but if so, very distant. 45 mins spent searching through the Wigeon. Freezing cold. Made it hard to sketch the White-front, which I had to do, as it's a Devon rarity, needs a full description.

The Firecrest said:
Yeah, but if so, very distant. 45 mins spent searching through the Wigeon. Freezing cold. Made it hard to sketch the White-front, which I had to do, as it's a Devon rarity, needs a full description.

Nice. Did you check the main pool? The Falcated was at the back of there with Gadwall on Sunday....

Don't rub it in! It was semi-dark, and I could barely figure out where the main pool is! But I was pleased with the White-front, an official Devon rarity. Have put a pic of my notes in the gallery, click on my username, and 'view this user's gallery'.

SueBryan said:
My Christmas wish.......A Smew at Snettisham today.......Wow
Very nice, Sue - well done! I think my very first Smew was in Norfolk - on one of the coastal pools at Cley or Salthouse on a foggy Jan 1st (1982). Don't think I've seen another in that county! Enjoyed browsing your website, by the way.

Got my greedy wish - another year tick in the big white shape of a Whooper Swan, which makes 193 now, and a target for future Seaton patch year listers.....which will not include ME!

Last edited:
Gavin Haig said:
Very nice, Sue - well done! I think my very first Smew was in Norfolk - on one of the coastal pools at Cley or Salthouse on a foggy Jan 1st (1982). Don't think I've seen another in that county! Enjoyed browsing your website, by the way.

Got my greedy wish - another year tick in the big white shape of a Whooper Swan, which makes 193 now, and a target for future Seaton patchers.....which will not include ME!

Thanks for your kind remarks Gavin. The Smew was alovely way to end the year on! Very majestic.
Good Birding in 2007
Sue

A dozen or so new birds for NY after Smithtown, Long Island, NY Christmas Bird Count, but only one year bird, and, in fact, lifer:

335. White-winged Scoter

Now... I'm gonna go ahead and cross my fingers that this isn't my last year bird! I'm heading up to Vermont tomorrow morning to spend a week snowboarding with some friends... maybe I can grab myself a... Boreal Chickadee, Pine Grosbeak, Pine Siskin, Common Redpoll, Evening Grosbeak, Bohemian Waxwing, Three-toed Woodpecker, Black-backed Woodpecker, Gray Jay, Spruce Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, or Rough-legged Hawk.

It could happen, right? ;) B :)

...but, if it doesn't, I'll be just as ecstatic at an ABA total of 335, and a World total of 374 for the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back