• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sometimes the problem is me (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
Sometimes the problem is me and not the binocular. For a while now I've had some issues setting the IPD correctly with my 8x30 binocular.
It became a little frustrating for a while, but then I felt I had solved the issue recently. Well, this weekend I again had a little frustration trying to get IPD right. The view never felt comfortable and it seemed somewhat restrictive. After my outing on Sunday, I wondered why this problem seemed worse lately.
I decided the issue is due to my obsessing about trying to obtain perfection.

This morning I had 30 minutes of viewing on the edge of a scrubby field in town. Right after I arrived (still in my car) I decided I would just stop worrying about getting the IPD setting perfect; I told myself to take care to set it right initially then forget about it and just look through the binocular. This solved the problem. The view was fine and as good as can be.

I also realized I had the binocular placed slightly lower down on my eyeglasses than normal. I moved it up and this opened up the view. This is how I normally hold the binocular against my eyeglasses. I wondered if I was instinctively moving the bin down over time to avoid some glare (who knows).

Do you ever drive yourself crazy like this too ?

I used to until these last few years or so before my eye sight started to decline. Now if I decide to go out and glass I just pick them up/look, appreciating the view for what it is.

I think a rather high percentage of what is discussed here is the result of such behavior, but that's just my opinion.

The best advice one can give here is frequently "Just look through the bleeping thing!" as you yourself have said.
lol ... yes, I said just that ! I added a 'bleep' when I said it to myself , but omitted that part in my post.

Sometimes the problem is me and not the binocular. For a while now I've had some issues setting the IPD correctly with my 8x30 binocular.
It became a little frustrating for a while, but then I felt I had solved the issue recently. Well, this weekend I again had a little frustration trying to get IPD right. The view never felt comfortable and it seemed somewhat restrictive. After my outing on Sunday, I wondered why this problem seemed worse lately.
I decided the issue is due to my obsessing about trying to obtain perfection.

This morning I had 30 minutes of viewing on the edge of a scrubby field in town. Right after I arrived (still in my car) I decided I would just stop worrying about getting the IPD setting perfect; I told myself to take care to set it right initially then forget about it and just look through the binocular. This solved the problem. The view was fine and as good as can be.

I also realized I had the binocular placed slightly lower down on my eyeglasses than normal. I moved it up and this opened up the view. This is how I normally hold the binocular against my eyeglasses. I wondered if I was instinctively moving the bin down over time to avoid some glare (who knows).

Do you ever drive yourself crazy like this too ?
Here is something you could try. It might help to set the IPD while not wearing eyeglasses as your eye sockets help a lot to position the eyepieces right in front of your eyes. Then put your glasses back on and see if that works for you.

Lee

Here is something you could try. It might help to set the IPD while not wearing eyeglasses as your eye sockets help a lot to position the eyepieces right in front of your eyes. Then put your glasses back on and see if that works for you.

Lee
Thanks Mr T. I think you or someone else suggested this to me some years back.
I’ll try it next time and see if it helps. I feel like I mostly solved the problem yesterday.

This problem didn’t exist when I used 7x42 or 8x42 with their larger EP. I recall with other 8x30 bins setting IPD was somewhat annoying, but with this Nikon MHG it seems a little worse. The smaller the EP it seems more of a pain...for me anyway. I’m sure now it’s mostly me obsessively trying to get the optimal view. Being aware of this now and trying to just let it go helps.

Thanks Mr T. I think you or someone else suggested this to me some years back.
I’ll try it next time and see if it helps. I feel like I mostly solved the problem yesterday.

This problem didn’t exist when I used 7x42 or 8x42 with their larger EP. I recall with other 8x30 bins setting IPD was somewhat annoying, but with this Nikon MHG it seems a little worse. The smaller the EP it seems more of a pain...for me anyway. I’m sure now it’s mostly me obsessively trying to get the optimal view. Being aware of this now and trying to just let it go helps.
I find that if I have managed to adjust the eyecups to the right position of no blackouts/full fov then setting the IPD is a fairly straighforward job of adjusting the bins to get a circular image. It gets trickier though if the eyecups aren't really in the optimum position. If the available positions of the eyecups don't achieve the optimum I usually adjust the eyecups with rubber o-rings.
Cheers GiGi

Lee

I find that if I have managed to adjust the eyecups to the right position of no blackouts/full fov then setting the IPD is a fairly straighforward job of adjusting the bins to get a circular image. It gets trickier though if the eyecups aren't really in the optimum position. If the available positions of the eyecups don't achieve the optimum I usually adjust the eyecups with rubber o-rings.
Cheers GiGi

Lee
It’s definitely not the eyecup position in my case. There’s barely enough eye relief, so they need to be collapsed all the way down.

Beth;

I think this is the part f the OP which led Lee to believe that placement was the problem, and I think he was thinking about the alignment of the binocular axes with the axes of your eyeballs, not how far the eyecups were screwed in or out.

Maybe I am just confused.

Richard

Beth;

I think this is the part f the OP which led Lee to believe that placement was the problem, and I think he was thinking about the alignment of the binocular axes with the axes of your eyeballs, not how far the eyecups were screwed in or out.

Maybe I am just confused.

Richard
Lee suggested adjusting the eyecups.
In post 8 I think he was just adding additional suggestions to be able to set IPD easily.
Post 9 explains why I can't use this suggestion for my binocular.

A huge percentage of "problems" blamed on binoculars is actually physiological—people don't understand the value of learning to STARE and don't understand "conditional alignment" (where spatial accommodation takes over) from collimation which is opto-mechanical. And since so many people believe that all "opinions" on these forums are tantamount to facts ... it may always be so. But then it WILL give them something to complain about. And for some, that's all that's wanted.

I have addressed both problems ... REPEATEDLY ... on several forums ... for more than 20 years! I just got tired of peeing up the same rope.

The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge. — Dr. Stephen Hawking

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back