• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Song ID please- willow warbler? - Belgium today (1 Viewer)

Wallander

What do you make of these recorded songs? Same bird 3x. Just a willow warbler with strange accent?

Many thanks in advance!!!! (y) 🍻 🙏

Attachments

• 2023_06_29_09_35_03 (mp3cut.net).mp3
    47.1 KB
  • 2023_06_29_09_34_00 (mp3cut.net).mp3
    37.3 KB
  • 2023_06_29_09_35_26.mp3
    76.9 KB
Hello Wallander,

I agree with you, its a strange Willow Warbler for me too.

And it sounds good for an example of a Willow Warbler x Chiffchaff mixed singer. According to literature, they are (usually) no "real" hybrids, but birds that adds phrases from the other species to their song (they might have heard them during the sensitive learning phase.

According to a comment from Andreas Ranner these are normally Willow Warblers. I think I heard this elsewhere too.
Excellent recording! Tfs!

Club300 Germany (yes, in german. But its excellent)
Club300 Germany (yes, in german. But its excellent)
http://www.otus-bayern.de/hefte/Otus_3_11_Iberienzilpzalp_opt.pdf (yes, in german. But its excellent)
https://www.zobodat.at/pdf/EGRETTA_29_1_2_0031-0036.pdf (yes, in german. But its excellent)
Zilpzalp-Fitis-Mischsänger - bird.at - forum (yes, ...)
Club300 Germany (yes ...)

Yes, this post came out more confident than it was intended to be. But my feeling is that your bird starts with a bad copy of a Chiffchaff song and ends with a Willow Warbler like one.

I hope for more comments. Thanks! And Tfs again!

I tend to think I'd like the recordings to be at least three times as long, then I might just be able to start getting a handle on what they are. Was it really only possible to get recordings lasting 2-4 sec?

I tend to think I'd like the recordings to be at least three times as long, then I might just be able to start getting a handle on what they are. Was it really only possible to get recordings lasting 2-4 sec?
The bird made this song "cylce" 1 time every 2/3 minutes so.....a longer recording won't be an added value. Therefore I just cutted the "song" part out the longer recordings.

A longer recording does add value as... [etc]
Yes, yes, yes - absolutely. Well put 👍🏻
A moment of nothing at start and finish also...
  • Demonstrates that we really are hearing the full vocalization and not just a random snippet cropped out from the middle somewhere (which certainly in this case it does sound like).
  • Saves people from posting posts that say, effectively: 'What happened to the rest of it?'.
This gripe about very short recordings is made repeatedly in these columns, and I'm sure that posters do genuinely feel they're being helpful by editing out everything except the 'meaty bit' - but, really, they are not ☹️

Hello Wallander,
no offence you know.

I totally agree with Butty and Mark : ... I'm sure that posters do genuinely feel they're being helpful by editing out everything except the 'meaty bit' ..."

and more:
I often struggle to identify sounds here on BF, or birds come into my mind, that are quite different when I hear them in the field. I still search for reasons, maybe some of them are mentioned here? I will check this. Thanks Butty and Mark!

Thats not the case here: Two-notes sound ID. N.Sweden Although I see and heard many Siskins now and especially in recent years I was surprised that I cant remember this call. And it took me many days last winter to hear a Siskin call like that. Reason why I missed/overheard it before? Dont know, maybe because they often call in flocks? Anyway, a big thanks to all in this thread.

(and after looking at a few Tree Pipits again: why is Tree vs Meadow Pipit ID some kind of jizz/gut/overall colouration thing in the field, while it is often a scrutinization of fine and variable details here on BF?)

And sorry for some kind of off-topic post, but this came into my mind again.

(and after looking at a few Tree Pipits again: why is Tree vs Meadow Pipit ID some kind of jizz/gut/overall colouration thing in the field, while it is often a scrutinization of fine and variable details here on BF?)
Possibly because in the field, you are looking at a moving target that does not allow you to see all the little details, while here you are looking at stationary items (photos!) that do not allow for the movement part of the jizz but lends themselves to the detail scrutiny?
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back