• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler: Phylloscopus or Hippolais? Ibiza - Spain (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
I was watching some action among the branches of a nearby field and what first appeared to be a willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) catched my eye. It displayed what seemed a greyish (or at least darker) cap, and the beak seemed surprisingly clear. I know the picture is pretty awful, but it's a frame from a video I was able to snatch before the bird flew off. What do you make of it?

Habitat and behaviour were typical of the Phylloscopus, which is common around, but somehow there was something slightly off, so is it possible that this is a Hippolais icterina or polyglotta. Unfortunately, it remained silent, so song/call was of no help.

Thanks all for your comments!

Warbler_2024_April.jpeg

Hello,

its a Melodious Warbler for me. The right face impression and the yellow hues on the face (hue and extent) seems good for me= nearly ID book like, despite unsharp and only a single picture.
And your impression of an clear bill adds to my confidence of an Hippolais warbler too. You know I trust original observers more than a picture!
Short pp (in relation to the tail too) and location excludes most similär Icterine Warbler.

@Alexander Stöhr Vielen Dank for the detailed reasoning. I also usually trust first on-site impressions. There was something odd here, and at first I couldn't pick up what, since the Hippolais are not the most common warblers around here (but then it's high migration season, and the unstable weather has brought many interesting sightings these days), it's a pity that by the time I fetched the smartphone the bird flew (as it usually happens). Danke!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back