• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sources for used binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I know, the Bay and possibly other such sites are where one usually looks for used binoculars. However, this concerns a bird guide in Madagascar who would like to buy, and which source might send there? Plus, which ones are reliable? Any ideas? I'm trying to help a fabulous guy.

You or the vendor you use can despatch to Madagascar with couriers such as FedEx or UPS, whether or not your consignment will be delivered is another matter entirely.

Starting prices from here are around £65.00 / CHF95.00 for the first kilo although YMMV.

Be aware of local VAT, Customs and import taxes.

Making the trip and giving a gift would be rewarding though.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

...............Making the trip and giving a gift would be rewarding though.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Thanks, I have just returned from a 26 day birding tour to the country. Definitely a most rewarding trip! That's where my question is based on. One of our guides had asked me for help.

Presently, I tend to advising him to get new binoculars rather than buying used ones he can't check or easily return if they are faulty. Something waterproof in the 8x42 range should be available at probably similar costs.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip.

Not sure of budget but the Belgian bino importer Kite offer a Chinese made range under their Bynnex umbrella which are available for the birder and safari market in East Africa (http://www.wildlife-explorers.com/index.php/shop).

It may be that Kite-Bynnex also have a distributor in Madagascar, as they do elsewhere, and that could be worth an inquiry:

http://bynnex.com/Pages/products2.html

Best wishes,

That's and interesting possibility. Thanks for the tip. I will forward it. Would eliminate the postage/customs problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back