• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa - (post1) - 8.16.2023 (Kaingo Game Reserve) (1 Viewer)

rec1972

#1 - I thought this was a MagPie Shrike when I took it, but it does not look like that now.
African Pied Wagtail? or Common Fiscal? (this is the only photo I have from a moving car)

#2 - No idea
#3 - Bushveld Pipit?
#4 - No Idea
#5 - Yellow-Fronted Carnary?

Attachments

• #1.png
    #1.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 17
  • #2All.png
    #2All.png
    271.4 KB · Views: 17
  • #3.png
    #3.png
    612 KB · Views: 17
  • #4.png
    #4.png
    459.5 KB · Views: 14
  • #5.png
    #5.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 15
2. Is a black winged kite
Imo Fiscal flycatcher for 1.
Agree with Yellow fronted canary.

Last edited:
South Africa - (post2) - 8.16.2023 (Kaingo Game Reserve)
#6 Chinspot Batis?
#7 - Cape Turtle Dove?
#8 White-Breasted Cormorant?

Attachments

• #7.png
    #7.png
    584.9 KB · Views: 7
  • #6.png
    #6.png
    471.3 KB · Views: 7
  • #8.png
    #8.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 7
Agree first 2, last should be reed cormorant I think: short neck, bulbous head, short bill. But photo quality makes it difficult

1. Fiscal Flycatcher (as suggested - see comparison from a similar pose in the attached.) The wing-pattern is distinctive.
2. Certainly a Black-winged Kite (unless it's been split again into something else.)
3. Hmmm. I hate pipits but this seems to show a clear supercilium and quite heavy streaking, How about Striped Pipit?
4. No clue.
5. Yellow-fronted Canary
Agree with 6 and 7.
8. It looks a compact cormorant, so White-breasted not a great candidate. If you are well away from the coast in RSA, the only other widespread species is Reed, which would be an okay fit, although I can't get any features from the image to support that. Then again, expanding the picture does seem to show a pale front, but that could be an artefact or still even a juv Reed. Undetermined. Fiscal Flycatcher 6d-denoise.JPGcormorant

1. Fiscal Flycatcher (as suggested - see comparison from a similar pose in the attached.) The wing-pattern is distinctive.
2. Certainly a Black-winged Kite (unless it's been split again into something else.)
3. Hmmm. I hate pipits but this seems to show a clear supercilium and quite heavy streaking, How about Striped Pipit?
4. No clue.
5. Yellow-fronted Canary
Agree with 6 and 7.
8. It looks a compact cormorant, so White-breasted not a great candidate. If you are well away from the coast in RSA, the only other widespread species is Reed, which would be an okay fit, although I can't get any features from the image to support that. Then again, expanding the picture does seem to show a pale front, but that could be an artefact or still even a juv Reed. Undetermined. View attachment 1531359cormorant
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back