• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Lincolnshire Patching (1 Viewer)

Just a quick one !
Went out yesterday over Londonthorpe Woods (five gates lane) and had some great views of Barn Owl right over the field we was walking in he/she didnt mind we were their at all and just carried on quartering the field, it was fantastic with my fiance getting some excellent shots, the bird almost circled us.
No luck with the little wood though but ended up with 39 species so not bad for an afternoons stomp.

Little Owl

Just a quick one ? Went to Belton House Gardens today, had a couple of hours to waste and in the distance i could hear Little Owl calling, so mission it was, took a while to locate them, but in the end had some great views of only one bird but could still hear the other.

This is quite a good site for these little fellas.

:smoke:

Attachments

• IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 52
Two More !

Two more today, walked from Marston to Grantham again ? 7 miles :eek!:
44 in total but Sparrowhawk ? and 4 Green Sandpipers at Marston Sewage Works, nice day, nice weather too....:t:

Hello fellow Lincs

Has any of you heard of the whereabouts of any Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers in our area as it is a must to try and get this year ?
Have spoken to a local birder at the bird hide at Marston Grantham and he said Londonthorpe Woods is a good place ?
I live ten minutes away but thought id ask some locals on hear for some pointers ?
I have been to the woods twice now and only managed to get GSW so this might not be good as i think the two species dont get on very well.

Cheers Chaps

Hi steve,
Don't know if this is your area, but had to take the wife to Nottingham for her OU, and found Bestwood Country Park. during three hours we located three lesser-spotted Woodpeckers in the area behind the hotel and up towards the adventure park. Lots of dead trees and dying trees with lots of holes in them. They are doing some clearence towards the adventure park area. Well worth a longer visit.
Great, Blue, LT& Coal Tits all over the place.

Steve B

Cheers

Hi steve,
Don't know if this is your area, but had to take the wife to Nottingham for her OU, and found Bestwood Country Park. during three hours we located three lesser-spotted Woodpeckers in the area behind the hotel and up towards the adventure park. Lots of dead trees and dying trees with lots of holes in them. They are doing some clearence towards the adventure park area. Well worth a longer visit.
Great, Blue, LT& Coal Tits all over the place.

Steve B

Hello Steve

Thanks m8 that is just what i have been looking for ?
Been looking on Birdguides and the only Lessers seen around hear are at Bellmount Towers, Belton Park in the woods behind the tower, about two minutes from where i live, been going there every day for the last two weeks, not a sausage ! but lots of Great spot ? that is probably why ?

I will be going to Bestwood Country Park as soon as i can then...

Thanks Steve :t: i owe you one buddy :t:

Last edited:
Ringers

Out again yesterday back to Marston ? no new birds but 51 in total so not bad, also meet some ringers at the sewage works they was trying to catch Water Rail.
This is a very good site for these elusive bird with 6 heard yesterday.
I hung around for over two hours but nothing ?
The ringers said that there are over 30 bird at this site ??
I have had 7 bird seen there the end of last year.
So another 8 mile walk yesterday ?
It is a really nice walk along the river from Marston to Grantham with many different habitats, well worth a visit. :t:

Yet another nice walk this morning ? Londonthorpe Woods for Lesser spot !! nothing but GSW and nuthatch, also meet a couple of birders (father and son) nice chaps one of is a birdforum member Mickyfish one for the UK200 club lol.
Had a very good view of Raven mobbing a Buzzard then two more buzzards appeared and it was some sight all chasing each other. not much more than that was only out for 4 hours.
The next few weeks will be good though when the little brown jobs start to arrive ? :t:

Popped out with a chap called Steve, who is a member, Pompadour444 just over to Marston not much about just the usual suspects, but on the way back had great views of a Red Kite over the road then flew over Barkston Village, then tried for Lesser again ??? not a sausage, but heard Raven. :t:

Hi Steve

Good to meet you on Tuesday.

I picked up the buzzards as we were leaving.

Went to Rutland yesterday, picked up 5 more for the year including 3 lifers (scaup, barnacle goose and smew), so well worth it, also had the place to ourselves- very nice.

Mick

ps I thought you were looking for LSW not sausages.

just seen 4 pos 5 (keep dirting below the river bank) sand martins over the river welland from the bedroom window. Going up river towards Crowland, spring has arrived in Lincs!

steve

RSPB Friston 10:00-1200hrs
large flock of Knot,Ringed plover, Turnstone,Bar-tailed Godwits and plenty of Swallows about. Cornbunting,Yellowhammer and RB Merganser.
Frampton Marsh 1300-1500hrs
Wheatear by steps,Large flock of Twite in bottom car park area. along with all the normal suspects. Warden reckens that Frampton will be open from the 18th of this month. Starting to look good with all the hides and vistors centre. Be interesting to see the planting plan.

Hi

I am a birder located in Bourne and my local patch is Elsea Woods and the area surrounding Bourne.

At the weekend I went down for a couple of hours(before the rain caught up with me).

Blackbird
Blue tit
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Coal tit
Great tit
G Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Jackdaw
Mistle Thrush
Nuthatch
Robin
Treecreeper
Woodpigeon
Wren
L. Spotted Woodpecker

Great tits by far the most common bird in the woods! Also seen Marsh tit in the woods. Lesser spots are regular there(but hard to see nonetheless!). Will be going down tomorow after school and will update soon.

Thanks
Daniel

Hi again

Went into the woods after school as scheduled!

Blackbird
Fieldfare
Mistle Thrush
Blue tit
Great tit
Chaffinch
Reed Bunting
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
L. Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff migrant numbers going up all the time with at least 5 individuals on my journeys.

Daniel

Still no sign of LSW at Belmont. Loads of Chiffchaffs though. Picked up the pair of LR Plover at Marston today, the Red Kite seems to be still knocking about there too.

Mick

Went to Rutland water today and the place was chockablock with migrating warblers! Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and Blackcaps all present. Sand Martin also present.

Waders-
Redshank
Black tailed Godwit
Oystercatcher

Wildfowl-
Mallard
Gadwall
Wigeon
Tufties
Shelduck
Mute Swan
Greylag Geese
Canada Geese
Egyptian Geese

Sparrows, Tits, Finches, Warblers etc.
House Sparrow
Blue tit
Great tit
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Blackcap
Willow Warbler
Chiffchaff
Pied Wagtail

Others
Buzzard
Kingfisher
GC Grebes
Kestrel
Rook
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow

As for the LSW, if you enter the Woods by the feeding stations (on the meadows side) Head straight along the pathway infront of you and then head right when possible. Walk down there and there is a spot I have seen them often.

Best time is early, but there is no guantee of seeing them as they are very elusive at the best of times!

Daniel

Just a quick one ! went to Marston Sewage Works to have a look and had lots of House Martins and Swallows and a (f) Ringtail quartering the marsh ? (sev obs)

Northorpe fen was alive with birds today! The fields opposite my house were newly turned and thus attracted some nice species some of which I hadnt seen in a while...

Buntings
20 Yellowhammer
Reed Bunting

Finches
24 Chaffinches
Greenfinches
Goldfinches
c100 Linnet (first in 5 yrs)

Corvids
Rook
Jackdaw

Waders
Green Sandpiper

Also had a G-spotted Woodpecker, a first in 10 years for the garden!

Daniel

Red Kite

Had a pair of Red Kites displaying over woods Tuesday (undisclosed site) (for obvious reasons ! ) as we had Raven eggs taken last year Grrr, So please if anyone around the area wants to add there sightings of "special birds" !

Please do ! but dont put any locations as THEY often look on web sites.

Also yesterday a single (m) over Belton House with two Buzzards.

I am hoping this is something we can all look forward to seeing soon these magnificent birds regular around here.

Happy Birding :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back