• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Birds to ID (1 Viewer)

MariettaBirder

Now that I've found this forum perhaps someone can help me identify or verify my identification of these birds I photographed in Southern Africa.

The left raptor was taken at Nottens Bush Camp outside Kruger at great distance and heavily cropped accounting for the poor quality. Date: 25 Sept 07

The center-left one was also taken at Nottens, but I couldn't figure out if it's a Collared Flycatcher or Tropical Boubou. Date: 24 Sep 07

I think the center-right one is an Ashy Flycatcher that I shot at the Moremi Reserve in Botswana--is this correct? Date: 2 Oct 07 (Sorry about the poor quality--low light; high zoom.)

I am pretty sure the left one is a Rock Kestrel that I photographed at the Cape of Good Hope--is this correct? I think it was a bit early in the season for it to be a Lesser Kestrel. (The Rock Kestrel is either a species in its own right or a subspecies of the Common/Eurasian Kestrel depending on your source). Date: 21 Sep 07.

Thanks in advance for any help on these.

Attachments

• raptor, unknown, Nottens 6789.jpg
    raptor, unknown, Nottens 6789.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 135
  • Flycatcher, Collared or Tropical Boubou  (prossibly), Nottens 6676.jpg
    Flycatcher, Collared or Tropical Boubou (prossibly), Nottens 6676.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Flycatcher, Ashy (prob), Moremi 8445.JPG
    Flycatcher, Ashy (prob), Moremi 8445.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Kestrel, Rock, Cape of Good Hope, So Africa 6288.jpg
    Kestrel, Rock, Cape of Good Hope, So Africa 6288.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 122
1: If I had to guess it would be a wild stab, but my wild stab would be snake eagle of some kind.

2: agreed with chinspot batis

3:Ashy looks fairly good I think.

4:I think it's rock kestrel, as it seems have speckled underwings

Hope that helps.

Nick

On closer examination of my photo locally, I agree that it is a Chinspot Batis, however, I noticed a bit of dark-rufous on the breast so I think it's a male

I think that the male has a purely black band with no rufous colouring at all, so it is more likely to be the female. There is quite a bit of rufous colouring in the wings too, seen more in the Cape Batis.

Last edited:
Hi,

-The raptor on pic 1 could be a Brown snake eagle
-2 Chin-spot batis, female
-3 Ashy flycatcher sounds like a good bet
-4 Most probably a Rock kestrel, but this one looks so similar to Lesser Kestrel on that pic...no shot showing the upper-wings pattern? I don't know if there is any record of Lesser kestrel over-summering in Africa...

I think that the male has a purely black band with no rufous colouring at all, so it is more likely to be the female. There is quite a bit of rufous colouring in the wings too, seen more in the Cape Batis.

My bad--in my book the female was the top picture which isn't the usual order and it caught me out:-(

Hi,

-The raptor on pic 1 could be a Brown snake eagle
-2 Chin-spot batis, female
-3 Ashy flycatcher sounds like a good bet
-4 Most probably a Rock kestrel, but this one looks so similar to Lesser Kestrel on that pic...no shot showing the upper-wings pattern? I don't know if there is any record of Lesser kestrel over-summering in Africa...

1: If I had to guess it would be a wild stab, but my wild stab would be snake eagle of some kind.

2: agreed with chinspot batis

3:Ashy looks fairly good I think.

4:I think it's rock kestrel, as it seems have speckled underwings

Hope that helps.

Nick

Thanks to both of you for your help. I agree that the #1 is probably a Brown Snake-Eagle when I compare it with shots I got of two others, one at the same area and one in Botswana (see combined photo below). These two were identified for me by our guides. I see that the head shapes are the same. What gave me fits was all the white on the head.

For the Kestrel, I'm going with Rock Kestrel because it is the most likely for the time, place and habitat (mountainous & rocky which the end of the cape is). It also has a broad terminal tail band.

Tib78: No, I don't have any of the kestrel's upper side; it was using a strong updraft to hover and drift high over the fenbos which made it just possible to get this photo, which is at 12x optical zoom and then cropped. It drifted out of range without ever diving or flipping over. This is the best shot I got.

Attachments

• Eagle, Brown Snake, Moremi+Nottens 8863+7492s.jpg
    Eagle, Brown Snake, Moremi+Nottens 8863+7492s.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 90
Marietta,

The left hand bird is a young Bateleur: very short tail and typical lighter pannel on the wing created by the secondaries.
The right hand bird is a Brown snake eagle indeed...

You've all done so well on my other unknowns perhaps you can id this one. I took it across the Victoria Falls gorge on the Zambia side. These are two photos of the same bird that have been cropped and sharpened. Date: 8 Oct 07

I have tentatively identified it as possibly a Peregrine Falcon. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Falcon, Peregrine (prob), Victoria Falls, Zambia 9525+9529.jpg
    Falcon, Peregrine (prob), Victoria Falls, Zambia 9525+9529.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 102
I agree with the Bataleur and I think the head shape of the first eagle suggest that it maybe also. I have posted a photo of a snake eagle (not a brown one) and unless the head shape varies between my photo and the brown I'm not convinced the original post is of a snake eagle.

Attachments

• Bateleur juv Sth Afr.jpg
    Bateleur juv Sth Afr.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Snake Eagle Sth Afr 1.jpg
    Snake Eagle Sth Afr 1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi Greg,

I think Bateleur is not a good option for the first eagle, take a look at the tail lenght.

Hi Tib
Have looked through some more of my photos and have found some adult Battaleurs that also display the short tail and have to agree with you. Not a battaleur

Hi Tib
Have looked through some more of my photos and have found some adult Battaleurs that also display the short tail and have to agree with you. Not a battaleur

I'm sure I can see at least one white leg. The size and shape of that head fits a Brown Snake-Eagle too and the BSE does have a proportionally short tail. When perched the bateleur has virtually no visible tail.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I agree that the #1 is probably a Brown Snake-Eagle when I compare it with shots I got of two others, one at the same area and one in Botswana (see combined photo below). These two were identified for me by our guides. I see that the head shapes are the same. What gave me fits was all the white on the head.

For the Kestrel, I'm going with Rock Kestrel because it is the most likely for the time, place and habitat (mountainous & rocky which the end of the cape is). It also has a broad terminal tail band.

Tib78: No, I don't have any of the kestrel's upper side; it was using a strong updraft to hover and drift high over the fenbos which made it just possible to get this photo, which is at 12x optical zoom and then cropped. It drifted out of range without ever diving or flipping over. This is the best shot I got.

Hi Marietta
If the bird on the left has a hind crest it could possibly be a Bat Hawk? At rest the wing tips protrude past the tail.
Regards
Amelia

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back