• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (1 Viewer)

Great! Look forward to that, and wonderful that you have a new camera. My present camera is a DSLR and in the two years since I have had it I still haven't managed to be in full control of it. I am now doing a photography course (with LOTS of assignment work) in the hope that this will force me to get to know it better! Its working so far, even though the person running the course is not interested in what you don't know about your camera; she is teaching us techniques and observation and getting a better pic; but because of the assignments you are FORCED to learn! Don't know whether my bird pics will be any better, but they might have slow-shutter-blurs or light halos or be taken from extrordinary angles . . . .

Like you, I prefer the bush, so my bird list also is lacking in that department and it will be interesting for me to see what you pick up on the coast.

Sal,
If I remember correctly you have a Sony Alpha DSLR camera, I at the momet have another type of Sony camera but will be buying the Sony Alpha before we go to Kosi Bay.
I hope to increase my number of screensaver pictures with a lot more closer pics of birds and creatures with the bigger telephoto lenses.
I have always been into photography since coming to SA, but I must admit haven't thought of a course.... may consider one with the new camera.

Sat here in my usual Sunday afternoon place watching among others, Black Sunbirds, including juveniles with the black throat colouring, hovering against and clinging to the house windows looking for small spiders and webs.
We have at the moment Black and Whitebellied Sunbirds all over all the Wild Dagga and Cape Honysuckle we have in the garden. The colours in the sunlight are stunning.

Martin

Sal,
If I remember correctly you have a Sony Alpha DSLR camera, I at the momet have another type of Sony camera but will be buying the Sony Alpha before we go to Kosi Bay.
I hope to increase my number of screensaver pictures with a lot more closer pics of birds and creatures with the bigger telephoto lenses.
I have always been into photography since coming to SA, but I must admit haven't thought of a course.... may consider one with the new camera.

Sat here in my usual Sunday afternoon place watching among others, Black Sunbirds, including juveniles with the black throat colouring, hovering against and clinging to the house windows looking for small spiders and webs.
We have at the moment Black and Whitebellied Sunbirds all over all the Wild Dagga and Cape Honysuckle we have in the garden. The colours in the sunlight are stunning.

Martin

Hi Martin, I have never regretted buying the Sony Alpha - some great features, and the lenses, which have the Minolta technology behind them, are excellent. Unfortunately they are also very expensive, so at the moment I have only a Sigma 70 - 300mm zoom. I am very tempted by a Sony Macro lens . . . . When I bought mine there was only the A100, but they have now gone to the A350 I think - don't know what extra features/improvements there are. Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

Your sunbirds against the flowers must look stunning, especially if you can also see that lovely amethyst colouring at the base of the throat.

Photography course: The first assignment took the entire week to do, was great fun, and I ended up knowing a lot more about my camera. Everything has to be done in black and white at the moment. This is a bit disconcerting because with the DSLR you set it on BW but what you see through the viewfinder is colour. Difficult to find mid-grey in a colour pic. So I spent ages - and I mean several hours - working on one assignment - only to find that somehow I had changed the setting from BW to colour and all the pics were therefore useless for the assignment!!! But I quite liked some of them so it wasn't a total waste. The second assignment is much harder and I am not even sure that I quite grasp what I have to do for some of it. I can only use morning or evening light and half the time the thunder clouds have rolled in by three-ish or there is fog in the morning. Luckily, because of Easter, we have extra time.
Sal, you have far more control if you convert to bw using an image editor than if you allow the camera to do it. (Have a go at converting those 'duffed' colour pics :))

Alan thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this lady is VERY acute. Someone put a BW pic in front of her - part of an assignment and she took one look and stated 'you converted this from a colour pic didn't you.' And she was, to everyones horror ('cause now you can't get away with anything!!) absolutely correct . . . . But for my own interest I will try this on my present colour rejects, thanks.

On with our trip.

Wednesday was another day at home, but Thursday morning saw us at the Malelane gate at the crack of dawn ready for another day in the Kruger. Our intention was to head up the H3 tar road and then turn left on the H1-1 to explore the Pretoriuskop area, then back via the H2-2 Voortrekker road to Afsaal and home.

Heading up the tar from Malelane we had some nice sightings of what had become the usual suspects - Long-tailed and Red-backed Shrike, European Roller, Woodland Kingfisher (more often heard than seen), and White-winged Widow. At the Matjulu river there were Pied Kingfisher and a Hamerkop, with a Pied Wagtail running up and down the road. A few minutes later we came round a bend and saw an eagle in the road! We approached slowly and it hopped up into a bush on the right hand side of the road, and stayed there until we drew level on the other side. Even though eagles are mostly BBJ's to us (Big Brown Jobs), we did identify it as a Wahlbergs. I was just about to take a photo when a Bakkie came speeding up the road. I held out my arm to try to get it to stop, but it just kept on going, and with it went the Wahlbergs. Drat, and other similar non-forum words. The disappointment at that was soon lost however as we saw more and more - Jacobin Cuckoo, European Bee-eaters, White faced Duck, Bataleur Eagle.

As we approached Afsaal the bush gave way to more open grass, and there were Impala and Zebra in abundance, accompanied by a large gathering of White Stork and some Ground Hornbill put in an appearance. Whilst we were watching these an open safari vehicle pulled up alongside us. It was our friend Heinrich, the (excellent) guide from Phumula Lodge in Marloth Park. He told us about a leopard he had seen on the S114 (he has an uncanny ability to spot leopard), so after a very brief debate off we went to see if we could find it.

Needless to say we could not find the leopard, but as we made our way back to Afsaal we turned into the H2-2 road off the S114 and spotted movement under the canopy of a large tree (sorry, no good with trees so no id). Grey raptor, finely barred underparts, red cere and legs - Dark Chanting Goshawk - a lifer. With a kill. Fabulous. We stopped and watched it for ten minutes or so, and then reluctantly left it to enjoy its meal in peace.
After a break at Afsaal, and a visit to the Scops Owl, we set off up the H3 again. Apart from Impala mammals were scarce, so a distant view of a large herd of buffalo was welcome, and then a Tree Squirrel raced across the road in front of us. We reached the Pretoriuskop junction and turned left, taking a further left to Transport Dam a few kilometres later, with sightings of Woolly-necked Stork, Egyptian Geese and Blacksmith Plover.

The H1-1 to Pretoriuskop produced Carmine Bee-eater, Red-winged Starling and White-crowned Helmetshrike. We then took the S8 dirt road and the Fayi loop. This was new to us and produced one really good sighting - Yellow-billed Egret, along with White faced Duck, Common Sandpiper and Hippo.

From the Fayi Loop we turned right along the H2-2 Voortrekker Road. I was a bit apprehensive about this part of the trip as we had travelled this road once before and seen absolutely no animal life at all. I was reduced to mountain spotting for a while, but as they don't move much even that palled.
Anyway off we set and almost immediately my concerns were gone. First thing to be seen was another Dark Chanting Goshawk - what a coincidence, but unfortunately still only 1 tick. About two hundred metres further on a movement in the woods on the right caught our attention, and we saw two antelope with long white facial markings and huge backswept horns - Sable. Whilst we had hoped to see these, we didn't really expect to. Unfortunately they were in dense undergrowth and they quickly disappeared further into the thick bush, so a photo was impossible, but what a sighting!

Next on the notables list was a large Leopard Tortoise making his way across the road, and a bit further on some dwarf mongoose were seen on a termite mound. Common waxbill, Black-crowned Tchagra, Square-tailed Drongo and a female Black-bellied Koorhan put in an appearance. At the Voortrekker waterhole we stopped to watch some young elephant, and whilst parked saw a pair of Jacobin Cuckoo mating in a tree. On our way out we had a good view of a Tawny Eagle.

Another great day in the Kruger, with some fabulous sightings. I was really pleased to see the Dark Chanting Goshawk, partly because it has such a wonderful name, but the highlight was the Sable antelope.

More to come!

Allan

A few pictures. Sorry about the quality.

Allan

Attachments

• Dark Chanting Goshawk.jpg
    Dark Chanting Goshawk.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 46
  • European Bee-eater.jpg
    European Bee-eater.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 51
  • European Roller.jpg
    European Roller.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 46
  • White Stork.jpg
    White Stork.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 48
Alan thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately this lady is VERY acute. Someone put a BW pic in front of her - part of an assignment and she took one look and stated 'you converted this from a colour pic didn't you.' And she was, to everyones horror ('cause now you can't get away with anything!!) absolutely correct . . . . But for my own interest I will try this on my present colour rejects, thanks.
Must be quite honest and say I don't think too much of your instructor then. She should be forcing you to use RAW from the outset, not JPEG. ;)

Must be quite honest and say I don't think too much of your instructor then. She should be forcing you to use RAW from the outset, not JPEG. ;)

Well I don't think this is your normal, 'learn how to do it' course. This is a course on perception and how to take a more interesting photo. I could have done a course which teaches you how to use your camera properly and how to use Photoshop, but I didn't want to. (Only one of us on this course has Photoshop). There is still year 2 and year 3 ahead, and quite possibly we move on to RAW then, I really don't know, but I am enjoying what I'm doing now.

On with our trip.

Another great day in the Kruger, with some fabulous sightings. I was really pleased to see the Dark Chanting Goshawk, partly because it has such a wonderful name, but the highlight was the Sable antelope.

More to come!

Allan

Thanks Allan. Some great bird sightings there, I particularly envy you the Carmine Bee-eaters. Now that we tend to go into Kruger in the winter, we never see them, although when I used to go,at the end of March, we had wonderful sightings. You certainly had a good view of the DC Goshawk if the pic is anything to go by. And Sable!! Not a usual sighting, how lucky you were. I know what you mean about the Voortrekker road, many times I have travelled along it and seen nothing but Natal Silverleaf! But every now and then it produces something magic - two years ago we were watching elephant at the waterhole, and because there were several cars there we drove around to the back by the little monument - and there was a leopard being harassed out of the undergrowth as the elephant came through! We were the only people to see it. Jacobin cuckoo - also a nice sighting. I like the pic of the European Bee-eaters, beautifully posed, and another bird that we don't get to see in June. Glad there is more to come . . . !

Nothing wrong with the photo's!

Those Bee-eaters look like they are about to depart for Europe!

Love the DCGos!

Reminder must finish my adventures in SA....still some days to go!
Bit busy here so no time to do justice to the tales!

Glad Allan is filling the gap!

(An Osprey flew over my West London house this morning - that was a delight well totally stunning! Thing was someone else reported it to Rare Bird Alert before me! They were at the local train station! I now am wondering who is this local birder?)

An Osprey, Dryocopus - brilliant! yes, I thought there was more to come on your SA adventure, I'm so relieved, I thought you were going to leave us hanging.

Happy Easter weekend everyone.

We spent Easter Sunday at Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve.
The Reserve is not far south of JHB and covers an area of 13,337 hectares and the major habitat is grassland. There are two main types of grassland within the reserve, with montane grassland above 1800 m and a non-montane savanna below 1800 m. Broadleaved woodland is present in the valleys, while Acacia savanna and Protea caffra veld (which gives the reserve its name) make up the rest of the reserve.
We haven't been here for many years and so the high rocky open grassland was a nice change from the bushveld and so spotted a few different birds including:
Cape Bunting
Rock Bunting
Fantailed Cisticola
Mountain Chat
Familiar Chat
Anteating Chat
Coqui Francolin
Swainsons Francolin
Spike-heeled Lark
Grassveld Pipit
European Swallow
House Martin
Banded Martin
Red-collared Widow
Long Tailed Widow
Bronze Mannikin
Pallid Harrier
European Bee-eater
Yellow-eyed Canary
Streaky-headed Canary

In the vleis at the bottom of the hills we spotted:
Red Bishop
Golden Bishop
Cattle Egret
Little Egret
Blacksmiths Plover
Crowned Plover
Egyptian Goose

In the lightly wooded area we saw:
Crested Barbet
Blackcollared Barbet
Bokmakierie
Forktailed Drongo
Fiscal Flycatcher
Fairy Flycatcher
Fiscal Shrike
Red-backed Shrike
Titbabbler
Blue Waxbill
Common Waxbill
Cape White-eye

We won't wait so long next time to visit again, we shall go back in the summer to see all the summer visitors next time.

Martin

Apologies for the long delay, but we've been very busy, partly as we managed to get in some bird watching here in the UK. Interestingly we saw our first swallows, having last seen them congregating in SA getting ready to leave. The journey is bad enough on a plane, what must it be like to have to make it under your own steam!

Anyway, after our big day on the Thursday we had a day off on the Friday. There is a garden centre (Kwekery) close to the Malelane gate, so we went there to buy some indigenous plants for our Marloth garden. I say we, Catherine was the one looking for the plants, I was too busy keeping an eye on the Bulbuls, Starlings and Parrots! After spending some time (and money) there we decamped to Hamiltons restaurant next door for lunch. It always pays to take binoculars and bird book with you - as we were eating on the deck I spotted a bird in the flower beds - a Groundscraper Thrush, a new spot for us. Excellent.

Next day we were back in Malelane at dawn ready for the gate to open. We had heard about Lake Panic, so our plan was to make our way up to Skukuza ans spend some time around there.

Heading up the increasingly familiar H3 tar road we saw Helmeted Guineafowl, a Tawny Eagle and a white rhino, and then came upon a cluster of cars. There were 4 male lion on a giraffe kill at the side of the road. An OSV pulled up beside us - our friend Heinrich again! He told us that the lion had actually brought the giraffe down on the road the previous afternoon - blood and guts everywhere. The park rangers had to tow the carcass off the road as it was blocking the traffic. The lion didn't seem to mind and were having breakfast. In the trees about were vultures - Lappet-faced, White-backed, Hooded. We watched for a while and then moved on to let someone in the increasingly long queue of cars behind have a look.

Moving on we came to the Matjulu river bridge. Here were White-rumped swift and two white rhino, with attendant Red-billed Oxpecker. The open plains by Afsaal had impala, warthog and a crash of 7 white rhino really close to the road. I love that collective term for rhino - a crash. It's so appropriate, just like a tower of giraffe.

We stopped at Afsaal for some coffee and breakfast. As we were eating we could hear a bird calling, familiar but we just couldn't place it, and it was being remarkably elusive in the tree-tops. The couple on the table next to us were obviously interested in birds - the man was taking numerous photos of the Scops Owl with some very nice equipment. Catherine asked the lady if she knew what was making the call. "I'll ask Hugh" she said, who promptly identified it as Orange-breasted Bush Shrike. It was no wonder he identified it so easily - we were talking to Hugh Chittenden of Roberts guide fame! Oh the reflected glory. A really pleasant and helpful couple. Our thanks to them.

We carried on up the H3. A Klipspringer was seen perched on a kopjie, and a little later one of my favourite animals - dwarf moongoose. I just love watching these delightful creatures. We had yet another Leopard Tortoise cross the road in front of us. On the bird front were Grey Lourie, telling us to go-away at every opportunity, European Rollers galore, several Bataleur eagle (or maybe just one well-travelled eagle), and at the Biyamiti crossing, Brown-headed Kingfisher, Blue and Common Waxbill and Lesser-striped Swallow.

We took another break at Skukuza. Sitting on a bench ovelooking the river eating our ice-creams we spotted Hadeda Ibis, Green Pigeon, Black-eyed Bulbul, Spotted Flycatcher, Black-collared Barbet, Chin-spot Batis and a magnificent Plum-coloured Starling. All the while we were seated there was a small bird busying itself in the bushes just the other side of the fence, but staying frustratingly well hidden. Finally just as we were about to leave it showed itself - an LBJ. Normally we move on - Martin calls them LTS - Life's Too Short, but having had this one taunt me for about 15 minutes I wasn't going to give in. Several minutes later we had it nailed - Red-faced Cisticola - a lifer!

We planned to go to the Skukuza day-vistor centre for a skottle, but when we got there it was heaving with people, so we decided to go to Nkuhlu. On our way there we took a detour to the Skukuza causeway, with good sightings of Pied Wagtail, Marabou Stork, Black-backed Puffback and Grey Heron. There were also Hippo, Baboon, Vervet Monkey, Waterbuck and Bushbuck. Nkuhlu was very quiet, so we skottled and ate in peace. Well partly in peace. There were Vervet monkeys as usual, and one of them managed to grab a bunch of bananas from another table. He then sat on a tree branch directly above me, so as I was cooking and eating I was subjected to a continuous stream of banana peel. The trials of Kruger!

From Nkuhlu we made a quick trip to Lake Panic. At the lake is a hide looking out over a beautiful lake (dam). We saw Green-backed Heron, Jacana, Wire-tailed Swallow, Purple Heron, Pied Kingfisher and Water Dikkop. Just down from the hide was a huge Golden Orb-web spider web with matching spider in the centre. Due to the distractions and diversions earlier we had only a short time available, which was a real pity as it is a beautiful place. We intend to go there again as soon as possible.

Leaving Lake Panic as late as possible we made our way back to the Malelane gate, stopping only for another look at the lions.

Another great day, with a very satisfying new tick. Our trip was coming to an end, and we only had time for one more trip into the Kruger, but that's for the next report!

Allan

We spent Easter Sunday at Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve.
The Reserve is not far south of JHB and covers an area of 13,337 hectares and the major habitat is grassland. There are two main types of grassland within the reserve, with montane grassland above 1800 m and a non-montane savanna below 1800 m. Broadleaved woodland is present in the valleys, while Acacia savanna and Protea caffra veld (which gives the reserve its name) make up the rest of the reserve.
We won't wait so long next time to visit again, we shall go back in the summer to see all the summer visitors next time.

Martin

Lovely bird list Martin - a couple there I have never seen, like the Spike-heeled Lark and the Pallid Harrier. It sounds a really good place for birding with such a varied ecosystem. I'm not getting much birding at the moment. I did go to Queen Elizabeth Park on Sunday, but we didn't see much; in fact I only ticked off fifteen seen. Someone with us was atlassing so he was counting all the 'heards' as well and listed about 38 species!

Apologies for the long delay, but we've been very busy, partly as we managed to get in some bird watching here in the UK. Interestingly we saw our first swallows, having last seen them congregating in SA getting ready to leave. The journey is bad enough on a plane, what must it be like to have to make it under your own steam!

Another great day, with a very satisfying new tick. Our trip was coming to an end, and we only had time for one more trip into the Kruger, but that's for the next report!

Allan

What a stunning day Allan and how well you describe it. I feel as though I should be pouring myself a cup of tea first before settling in to a good long read!

I feel quite honoured to think that I am replying to the post of someone who has actually spoken to Hugh Chittenden - you see how the glory reflects! Anyway, he obviously brought you luck - you achieved a good bird list. I do find that birders in general - certainly all those I have ever come into contact with - are a) Really nice people and b) very modest and unassuming about their talents. I was birding with Gordon Mclean (also Roberts - author of 5th and 6th edition) once, and someone who didn't know him asked him how it was that he knew every bird call we heard. He said gently 'Its my job' and left it at that.(It was his 5th edition of Roberts in which the bird-call sonograms were introduced. I believe they have taken them out of the 7th edition, so I'm glad I have kept my old Roberts as I find them very useful)

I love Lake Panic. We generally call in there on our way up from Berg-en -Dal to Satara; Bird-watching at Lake Panic followed by toasted sarmies at Skukuza; and I alsways feel sad that we can't stay longer. I've seen a lot of lovely birds, insects and reptiles there on various occasions.

Thanks for another immersion in the daily life of Kruger, look forward to the last epistle immensely.

Anyway, after our big day on the Thursday we had a day off on the Friday. There is a garden centre (Kwekery) close to the Malelane gate, so we went there to buy some indigenous plants for our Marloth garden. I say we, Catherine was the one looking for the plants, I was too busy keeping an eye on the Bulbuls, Starlings and Parrots! After spending some time (and money) there we decamped to Hamiltons restaurant next door for lunch. It always pays to take binoculars and bird book with you - as we were eating on the deck I spotted a bird in the flower beds - a Groundscraper Thrush, a new spot for us. Excellent.

Next day we were back in Malelane at dawn ready for the gate to open. We had heard about Lake Panic, so our plan was to make our way up to Skukuza ans spend some time around there.

Heading up the increasingly familiar H3 tar road we saw Helmeted Guineafowl, a Tawny Eagle and a white rhino, and then came upon a cluster of cars. There were 4 male lion on a giraffe kill at the side of the road. An OSV pulled up beside us - our friend Heinrich again! He told us that the lion had actually brought the giraffe down on the road the previous afternoon - blood and guts everywhere. The park rangers had to tow the carcass off the road as it was blocking the traffic. The lion didn't seem to mind and were having breakfast. In the trees about were vultures - Lappet-faced, White-backed, Hooded. We watched for a while and then moved on to let someone in the increasingly long queue of cars behind have a look.

Moving on we came to the Matjulu river bridge. Here were White-rumped swift and two white rhino, with attendant Red-billed Oxpecker. The open plains by Afsaal had impala, warthog and a crash of 7 white rhino really close to the road. I love that collective term for rhino - a crash. It's so appropriate, just like a tower of giraffe.

We stopped at Afsaal for some coffee and breakfast. As we were eating we could hear a bird calling, familiar but we just couldn't place it, and it was being remarkably elusive in the tree-tops. The couple on the table next to us were obviously interested in birds - the man was taking numerous photos of the Scops Owl with some very nice equipment. Catherine asked the lady if she knew what was making the call. "I'll ask Hugh" she said, who promptly identified it as Orange-breasted Bush Shrike. It was no wonder he identified it so easily - we were talking to Hugh Chittenden of Roberts guide fame! Oh the reflected glory. A really pleasant and helpful couple. Our thanks to them.

We carried on up the H3. A Klipspringer was seen perched on a kopjie, and a little later one of my favourite animals - dwarf moongoose. I just love watching these delightful creatures. We had yet another Leopard Tortoise cross the road in front of us. On the bird front were Grey Lourie, telling us to go-away at every opportunity, European Rollers galore, several Bataleur eagle (or maybe just one well-travelled eagle), and at the Biyamiti crossing, Brown-headed Kingfisher, Blue and Common Waxbill and Lesser-striped Swallow.

We took another break at Skukuza. Sitting on a bench ovelooking the river eating our ice-creams we spotted Hadeda Ibis, Green Pigeon, Black-eyed Bulbul, Spotted Flycatcher, Black-collared Barbet, Chin-spot Batis and a magnificent Plum-coloured Starling. All the while we were seated there was a small bird busying itself in the bushes just the other side of the fence, but staying frustratingly well hidden. Finally just as we were about to leave it showed itself - an LBJ. Normally we move on - Martin calls them LTS - Life's Too Short, but having had this one taunt me for about 15 minutes I wasn't going to give in. Several minutes later we had it nailed - Red-faced Cisticola - a lifer!

We planned to go to the Skukuza day-vistor centre for a skottle, but when we got there it was heaving with people, so we decided to go to Nkuhlu. On our way there we took a detour to the Skukuza causeway, with good sightings of Pied Wagtail, Marabou Stork, Black-backed Puffback and Grey Heron. There were also Hippo, Baboon, Vervet Monkey, Waterbuck and Bushbuck. Nkuhlu was very quiet, so we skottled and ate in peace. Well partly in peace. There were Vervet monkeys as usual, and one of them managed to grab a bunch of bananas from another table. He then sat on a tree branch directly above me, so as I was cooking and eating I was subjected to a continuous stream of banana peel. The trials of Kruger!

From Nkuhlu we made a quick trip to Lake Panic. At the lake is a hide looking out over a beautiful lake (dam). We saw Green-backed Heron, Jacana, Wire-tailed Swallow, Purple Heron, Pied Kingfisher and Water Dikkop. Just down from the hide was a huge Golden Orb-web spider web with matching spider in the centre. Due to the distractions and diversions earlier we had only a short time available, which was a real pity as it is a beautiful place. We intend to go there again as soon as possible.

Leaving Lake Panic as late as possible we made our way back to the Malelane gate, stopping only for another look at the lions.

Allan

A few more photos:

Attachments

• Lion on Giraffe kill.jpg
    Lion on Giraffe kill.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Hooded Vulture.jpg
    Hooded Vulture.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Carmine Bee-eater.jpg
    Carmine Bee-eater.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Woodland Kingfisher.jpg
    Woodland Kingfisher.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 63
Interesting ID query in the ID thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=139100

Could do with some of your local expertise on this one!

Allan

Thanks for highlighting this Allan. At the risk of upsetting some people, the use of a long thread rather than a proper Forum for South Africa isn't the best way of getting things noticed or discussed, I find. Is there a reason why it has been set up in this way? Personally, I never get involved with long threads on any Forum. It just takes too long to read the whole thing, quickly gets off-topic and usually becomes a conversation with just a few people. Very uninviting to casual participants who might want to become regulars!

Pat

Lovely bird list Martin - a couple there I have never seen, like the Spike-heeled Lark and the Pallid Harrier. It sounds a really good place for birding with such a varied ecosystem. I'm not getting much birding at the moment. I did go to Queen Elizabeth Park on Sunday, but we didn't see much; in fact I only ticked off fifteen seen. Someone with us was atlassing so he was counting all the 'heards' as well and listed about 38 species!

Thanks Sal,
As mentioned I will go back in the summer when I think I will have a much more successful day regarding high altitude species.
I have just picked up the camera today, a Sony Alpha 350 with two lenses - 18-70mm and 75-300mm ready for the trip to Kosi Bay. I shall play over the weekend....

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back