• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Louisiana (1 Viewer)

pattianne

I consider myself to be an observant person...so, how did I miss seeing this beautiful bird before? Is the rose-breased grosbeak a seasonal visitor in south Louisiana, or did this fellow get sidetracked? I have lived here all my life and this is a first for me!
I was sitting in the backyard with binos and CP4500 when he came straight in to one of my feeders. I knew he was new to me and quickly clicked three pictures. He continued to feed for about 5 minutes...of course, I couldn't remember which button did what on my new camera. I am attaching one picture. I thought I'd get to practice with my camera on a dove or a blackbird. NO! First thing I know, I have the shakes while I'm trying to capture this beauty posing on my feeder. By the way, he came back today. I saw him three different times between 4:00 pm and 6:30 pm. Yeah! Maybe I'll figure out the zoom a bit better by tomorrow.

Attachments

• rose-breasted grosbeak.jpg
    rose-breasted grosbeak.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 206
Pattianne, he's a migrant and just passing through.

They breed well to the north, with the southern boundaries of their breeding range in about central Michigan.

Enjoy him while you can!! They, and the beautiful soft brown females, are delightful to watch, and so pretty!

Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Pattianne:

This bird was on his way to my back yard up North in Western Canada ha ha ha. I have lots of them here at our bird feeder at the edge of a lovely lake where we spent year round as our alternative home away from the city of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
visit my webpage and enjoy the birds I have fotographed with a spotting scope and a digital camera attached.
www.walther-loff.com
cheers...

Attachments

• dw321rbgra.jpg
    dw321rbgra.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 200
Thanks to beverlybanes and to w. loff for posting and answering my questions. I get so used to "everyday birds" ... I almost flipped when I spotted this unusual beauty at my feeder. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back