• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish lynx (2 Viewers)

Successful February trip to see Iberian lynx

Mark Askew and I stayed in the Sierra de Andujar Natural Park from Mon 3 to Sat 8 Feb 2014. We were well looked after by Mercedes and her husband Roland at the Villa Matilde [mailto:[email protected]]
We were told that there were virtually no sightings of Iberian lynx in Dec 2013, but some in Jan.
There are two recommended viewpoints.
We spent the whole of 4 Feb viewing from La Lancha but saw no lynx, being told later that one or two had been seen that day at the Jandula dam along the Encinarejo Trail.
The morning of 5 Feb was heavy rain, but we stuck it out at the Jandula dam and saw a collared Iberian lynx from 4-6pm. It gave us good views on the opposite side of the river.
On 6 Feb we had a day out on the Extremadura plains at Embalse de la Serena, seeing great and little bustards, black-bellied and pin-tailed sandgrouse, calandra larks and many other good birds. We also saw an Iberian hare.
On 7 Feb we saw a second lynx about 1km before the La Lancha viewpoint and this one we watched and photographed for about 20 minutes as it traversed a slope and then crossed the road some 30m ahead of us.
Other mammals seen on the trip included mouflon, Spanish ibex, red and fallow deer. We also saw stripeless tree frog, natterjack, common (females get to 6”), spadefoot and green toads. Watch out for fire salamander which we missed – a Spanish group photographed one but we could not re-locate it. The Sierra is also excellent for golden and Spanish imperial eagles.
Graham Megson & Mark Askew

I wonder if people looking for the lynx won't disturb and stress him out? Maybe we should try to avoid see him at all?

I think people who just want to watch is beneficial for the lynx, because as long they be around there, hunters need to avoid more eyes and hears apart the forest guards. And i noticed from this thread there's many of them.

Also, if is something that brings turist, that means money, the only thing politics care so they will look after the lynx and protect him, not only weak ecologic groups.

This is a mythical spaniard TV program, called "the man and the earth" ... sorry there's no subtitles but hardly you find many documentarys like this about the iberian linx, in terms of quality and intimal contact with the animal. Only the visual images worth the time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quf-iyxlSD8

Last edited:
:clap:
I think people who just want to watch is beneficial for the lynx, because as long they be around there, hunters need to avoid more eyes and hears apart the forest guards. And i noticed from this thread there's many of them.

Also, if is something that brings turist, that means money, the only thing politics care so they will look after the lynx and protect him, not only weak ecologic groups.

This is a mythical spaniard TV program, called "the man and the earth" ... sorry there's no subtitles but hardly you find many documentarys like this about the iberian linx, in terms of quality and intimal contact with the animal. Only the visual images worth the time ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quf-iyxlSD8

Graham and Mark

FYI, in Andújar, like in the rest of the Iberian Peninsula we 'now' have Western (Common) Toad Bufo spinosus. Also there are no green toads here, but you probably saw a well-marked natterjack.

Regarding Ibe Lynx, the end of Feb and beginning of March was very poor for sightings, and only one French couple saw one, from near the buildings above the Jándula Dam, which came down the opposite slope well downstream and then eventually plucked up the courage to swim across the river! Otherwise, from the Thursday morning to Tues breakfast time no-one we met had seen one.

Regarding when's the best time, in theory, fom around late November to perhaps mid-Feb, given that the females are on heat and males move around more, but there are sightings monthly and I suspect it depends as much or more on there being good rabbit numbers in the areas of the observations than anything else (plus more observers helps!). In the 2 full and two part days we were there, I think we saw possibly 6 rabbits in total :-(

Here's to a recovery of the rabbit population in Andújar this spring, since there have been plenty virtually everywhere else I've been since, as it continues to recover in general...

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back