• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow hawk or Merlin in garden on Dartmoor, UK (1 Viewer)

MathsMum

England
This bird has visited our garden a few times. Tonight it has just caught a its dinner (either starling, blackbird or young Jackdaw-am unable to tell from a distance).
Previously thought it was a Merlin now think it may be a Sparrow hawk.

Attachments

• F2338BCA-C7E9-4CDC-BA58-BA5591EE6C50.jpeg
    F2338BCA-C7E9-4CDC-BA58-BA5591EE6C50.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 55
Excellent thank you. He was great to watch. The way he protected his catch from about a dozen jackdaws was great. They were making so much noise! Once they gave up and left there was a small but noisy chaffinch who acted like a sentry until the sparrow hawk had eaten its fill and flown off with the remainder of his catch.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Hi MathsMum and a warm welcome from me too.

Yes, such a typical sparrowhawk pose that. Usually all I see of them is a quick dash past with the small birds flying everywhere! A couple of times a young one has sat on the shed roof looking around wondering where everything had gone. And once one flew into my window. Unharmed, flew off again shortly after.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back