• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk? (West Midlands, England) (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help a somewhat inexperienced birdwatcher confirm the identification of the raptors in the photos below, please. They were featured in my local newspaper, but the photographers were unsure what they were. Both were seen in the same town. It was thought that the bird in the first pic was possibly a Sparrowhawk or a Kestrel; whilst the photographer of the bird in the second pic thought it "definitely had all the correct markings" for a Peregrine Falcon! However, I think they're both Sparrowhawks. Could anyone say if they are or aren't?
Kind regards,

Matt

P.S. the photographer of the second pic thought that the "falcon" might also be an escapee, as it seemed quite tame and did'nt fly off as soon as it saw the photographer, though the photographer's husband had removed a partially eaten pigeon from their garden early that day.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 136
Agreed both Sparrowhawks - If only the paper had though of doing this before publishing the pics :-O. Wasn't the evening mail was it?

I saw that book a couple of years ago. I think the cover shows a red-tailed hawk (and if I remember rightly it's credited as such inside). Why the publishers chose to do this... who knows!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back