• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species with the most names (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
With names being a hot topic at the moment, it made me wonder, which species has the most, regularly used 'English' common names over lets say, the past fifty - sixty years

Off the top of my head I can come up with Dinopium benghalense which is variously called Lesser Golden Backed Woodpecker, Lesser Flameback or Black-rumped Flameback.

Last edited:
Lonchura atricapilla: Chestnut Munia, Black-headed Munia; Southern Black-headed Munia; Chestnut Mannikin; Black-headed Mannikin

But I'm sure there's some more with more names; partly because the spelling is different

Per Wikipedia:

northern lapwing (Vanellus vanellus), also known as the peewit or pewit, tuit or tewit, green plover, or (in Ireland and Great Britain) pyewipe or just lapwing.

Lapwing, peewit, green plover were previously known to me but tewit and pyewipe do not surprise me. Northern Lapwing doesn't really count because the British "Lapwing" is the original in English and consequently does not require a modifier: only other birds trying to be lapwings do.

John

John

7:
Actually, think the count should be 9 if you take into account that there are two previous scientific names

Both of these have a previous scientific name too. So count should be 7 for each.

:p:

Per Wikipedia:

northern lapwing (Vanellus vanellus), also known as the peewit or pewit, tuit or tewit, green plover, or (in Ireland and Great Britain) pyewipe or just lapwing.

Lapwing, peewit, green plover were previously known to me but tewit and pyewipe do not surprise me. Northern Lapwing doesn't really count because the British "Lapwing" is the original in English and consequently does not require a modifier: only other birds trying to be lapwings do.

John

John
John,
I was thinking of names that have occured in relatively modern, field guide type literature. In regard to Peewit, Green Plover, Pyewipe (!), we've all seen them referenced but they've never been used as regular names in a field guide to my knowledge?

Lonchura atricapilla: Chestnut Munia, Black-headed Munia; Southern Black-headed Munia; Chestnut Mannikin; Black-headed Mannikin

But I'm sure there's some more with more names; partly because the spelling is different
This group is a nightmare in terms of nomenclature, mainly because of shifting or alternative taxonomy.

John,
I was thinking of names that have occured in relatively modern, field guide type literature. In regard to Peewit, Green Plover, Pyewipe (!), we've all seen them referenced but they've never been used as regular names in a field guide to my knowledge?
I shouldn't be surprised if Peewit has sneaked in once or twice, and "Green plover" actually does sound like the same sort of crass invented name that the Yanks are currently seeking to cripple themselves with, so I should think that like "Bearded Reedling" some nit has sought to impose it on common English usage, happily without long-term success.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back