• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

I do hope to see more juv. no matter leg-flagged or not:)
sleeping juv. Red-necked Stint seems to me impossible to tell from juv. Spooner :( so maybe a flag can give me kind of clue(I hope they dont do the same flags on Red-necked Stint)

I don't know whether juvie red-neckeds are being flagged in Siberia before their passage south, but I do know that red-neckeds may be flagged. The bird in this image was flagged during the Northern Hemisphere winter in Victoria, Australia and made its way to Shanghai in May 2010. I photographed it at old San Jia Gang, near Pudong Airport.

Attachments

• stint, red-necked032.jpg
    stint, red-necked032.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 85
sleeping juv. Red-necked Stint seems to me impossible to tell from juv. Spooner :( so maybe a flag can give me kind of clue(I hope they dont do the same flags on Red-necked Stint)

For me the general jizz is different MC though I agree its hard. Spooners tend to have a bulkier rear undercarriage, it doesn't taper up like RNS but is quite angular instead and also perhaps slightly flatter backed. The streaking on the sides of the upper breast is more defined in SBS and of course they've got bigger heads - but you know that ;)

I hope you see some more too, continued good luck with the season.

For me the general jizz is different MC though I agree its hard. Spooners tend to have a bulkier rear undercarriage, it doesn't taper up like RNS but is quite angular instead and also perhaps slightly flatter backed. The streaking on the sides of the upper breast is more defined in SBS and of course they've got bigger heads - but you know that ;)

I hope you see some more too, continued good luck with the season.
more often u see them with their backs toward u,so the only thing u can study is the pattern/color:-C of the upperbody

Ahh, of course, daft of me.... individual colour rings! Stupid thing is, they told me that at the Birdfair and because I've been doing colour flagged wader stuff, I've got it on the brain.

Anyway, looking forward to some being found hopefully!

Lot's of nice videos, but I'm finding it difficult to work out how many are kept at Slimbridge now. How many of the (17?) 2011 birds survived? Did any of them breed in their 2CY? Is this where the 2012 juvs came from or where there more egg imports to the UK in 2012? Anyone know any more?

cheers, alan

Hi Al,

AFAIK, all but one the original birds survived I think - http://www.saving-spoon-billed-sand...es-its-first-adult-call-and-some-sadder-news/.
They didn't breed this year, don't 2cy birds, and evidently there are fewer in the wild, actually over summer in the tropics hence the reason for the anti-hunting campaign. Birds being trapped in Myanmar accounts for a percentage of this lost gene pool.
The 2012 juveniles came over at the egg stage, having been collected in the region as before, as where the 'head started' birds, whose eggs where collected and incubated on site - http://www.saving-spoon-billed-sand...-breeding/the-day-the-eggs-arrived-in-the-uk/

Next year is the first potential breeding year I guess?

Of course brings up interesting thoughts in itself... will the males songflight as in the wild, and if so, how... padded ceilings?

Mark

Last edited:
cheers Mark

yes, a bit worried about space at Slimbridge. I assume they are building new facilities? This programme needs a very wealthy benefactor to get behind it, as for Spix's Macaw. The Chelsea FC owner would be appropriate - he may already have been supportive?

cheers, alan

Al,

Pm'd you but yes, new facilities, cutting edge techniques. Of course the main issue outside of this is the need to protect the staging posts. As you know, the speed at which suitable areas are being destroyed through reclamation and industry initiatives particularly in China is mind blowing!

"Àihù" (love-save) the Spooner

Much of the discussion in this thread is about the very important work of saving the spoon-billed sandpiper. My contribution is to help us celebrate the spoon-billed sandpiper. Saving and loving the bird are one and the same thing; Chinese in fact has a most appropriate word, 爱护 (àihù), often translated "cherish," combining the words for love and protect and often used in the context of conserving wildlife.

Here's the story behind the attached image: First, I distinguish the spooner in the flock of nearly 1,500 birds. I note its behavior; I see it swishing its spatulate bill through the water, quite unlike the manner of the superficially similar red-necked stint. Pleasure floods me: "It's a spooner!" My heart starts beating fast. Keep focused, I say to myself; don't try to do too much. I played baseball through high school, and the feeling with the spooner was very much like the feeling of coming to the plate in a tight game. Stay within yourself, my coaches used to say, but on the other hand, seize the moment! I check the settings on my camera; no blunders now! I zero in on the sandpiper. The bird knows I'm near, but it has bigger things on its mind than the strange but slow-moving object 12 m away; it needs to replenish itself; it needs to eat, eat, eat. When the spooner finally moves out of range, I don't pursue him; I've done enough, and there's pleasure in knowing that my huge harvest came at so little cost to the spooner.

Attachments

• sandpiper, spoon-billed044.jpg
    sandpiper, spoon-billed044.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Lot's of nice videos, but I'm finding it difficult to work out how many are kept at Slimbridge now. How many of the (17?) 2011 birds survived? Did any of them breed in their 2CY? Is this where the 2012 juvs came from or where there more egg imports to the UK in 2012? Anyone know any more?

cheers, alan

Hi Guys

I believe 12 of the 2011 birds are still alive and well and 18 (?) of the 2012 birds. Bringing them to Slimbridge as eggs this year was even more successful than bringing them here as juveniles - less stressful and fewer things to go wrong.

The first attempt at breeding is next year. The birds have been sexed through blood tests (more males than females from the fist year, not sure about this) and I presume they will be paired up. The birds now have new outside space as well as the indoor space. It's going to be all cutting edge stuff, but they have the best team drawn from Slimbridge and around the world.

As for Mr Abramovich, I'm not sure if he has been involved financially. He is (or was?) the governor of the area of Russia where the birds breed.

Dr Debbie Pain of the WWT is talking about the project at the Oriental Bird Club meeting in Cambridge in a couple of weeks if you are nearby and interested - see http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/news/index.html

All the best
Ken

Spooner Rescue Team came to Rudong and we covered Dongtai-Haian-Rudong on 11~15 Oct and saw about 100 Spooner(one 1st-win,two color-flagged) in total.

last year in mid-Oct just in one place in Rudong there were 103.But at that time the other places were not surveyed.

We also counted several hundred Nordmann's Greenshank this time in Dongtai-Haian-Rudong.

Great result. Thanks for keeping us informed. Would have hoped for more first winter birds. They just seem to disappear!

Good work.
Ken

Great result. Thanks for keeping us informed. Would have hoped for more first winter birds. They just seem to disappear!

Good work.
Ken
Hi Ken
there are much more juv every year in south Korea and Japan rather than adults.But since the habitats there are not so good I guess as Rudong,those juv do not survive to come back to continue their life cycle.
Only the lucky juv who could find Rudong(and Myanmar I think) can go on living until they can join in their fellows to breed.
No idea about north Korea yet.We discussed a possible trip in near future to north Korea in this survey/workshop.
Let's keep hopeB :)

I'd not heard that before. Perhaps the juvenile birds make the journey in smaller hops. Let's hope a few more make it through. Certainly the pressures on the Yellow Sea are immense but I know almost nothing about SBS in Japan.

Best wishes
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back