• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Crake at Old Moor (1 Viewer)

Dave Adshead

How much!
Today, I decided to visit Old Moor in the hope of seeing the Spotted Crake that had been reported.
When I left home it was raining stair rods and on arrival, I was informed that it had not been seen since Tuesday 20th Sept.
I decided to stay and after a couple of hours I was rewarded with good views of it, just in front of the hide.
I've never seen one before and to be truthful I was expecting to see a Moorhen sized bird, but its about half the size.
I've attached a couple of photographs of it.

Best wishes
Dave

Attachments

• 20050923_DA_798_SC.jpg
    20050923_DA_798_SC.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 20050923_DA_799_SC.jpg
    20050923_DA_799_SC.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 144
Saw it on the 17th at Old Moor, only saw it briefly - there was a good few people climbing over each other to see it, resting their scopes on each others shoulders.
I wouldn't have known it was there if it wasn't for an enthusiastic bloke stopping us all on the way to the hide to tell us, he said he was sat there for hours and saw it 3 times.
Nice pics btw, I didn't have chance to snap it.

They're cracking shots Dave, they're very crisp, normally with Spot Crakes it's a hit and run job and they're gone before your cameras even turned on!!! Good stuff.

Dan

dwayne950 said:
They're cracking shots Dave, they're very crisp, normally with Spot Crakes it's a hit and run job and they're gone before your cameras even turned on!!! Good stuff.

Dan

I hope to see one of these at the London WWT centre tomorrow. they say its giving good views believe it when I see it. Nice shots though , how far away were you Dan.

Thanks Dan.
Right, Mark.
The bird was just in front of the hide, I would guesstimate approximately 10 - 12 metres. But, I am hopeless at distance.
It really kept showing itself, reeds and grass was never in the right place though, I actually got a photo of it wing stretching but with a large clump of reed across its head. Ah well.
Dave

Tectortony said:
Wonderfull shots Dave, I nearly went there yesterday, but I had jobs to do around the garden,oh well thats life !!!!

I went to the London WWT today and although I saw a Spotted Crake it was about 350 yds away and moving in and out of the reeds on the River Thames side of the scrape. And your right Dave I didn't realise either just how small they are. Even with my digiscoping kit zoomed in I still couldn't get any decent shots. But still very nice to see them (we have 2 at the London WWT ) right in the heart of Europes biggest city.

Attachments

• forum crake.JPG
    forum crake.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 117
  • forum crake2.JPG
    forum crake2.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 111
  • forumwwt view.JPG
    forumwwt view.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 133
Hi Markho,
I like picture number one, I like to see photos that show the bird in its environment.
Yes, birds in the heart of London, I know exactly what you mean.
I live in sunny donny, over winter we have 2 or 3 Bitterns that come into a local nature reserve, just 2 miles from Doncaster town centre, and only two miles from where I live.
Best wishes,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back