• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Sandpiper?? (1 Viewer)

stephen p

Afternoon guys,

Down in Cornwall over the weekend and saw this little chap on the Camel Estruary.
Looked different to the over Sanpipers around and was wondering (hoping!) if it was a Spotted Sandpiper??

Help identifying it would be great

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• Spotted Sandpiper---.JPG
    Spotted Sandpiper---.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 233
That was my initial thought before I read your post. I don't have my guide to verify, but the big question is whether your Spotted Sandpiper is the same as the Spotted Sandpiper in the americas.

:eek!:Common Sandpiper versus Winter/juvenile Spotted Sandpiper is a notoriously difficult one.

there are clues however,my dear Watson.

Spotted Sandpiper bill is "always two-toned"Macmillan Field guide 1990 Harris,Tucker ,and Vinicombe.
Common Sandpiper had dull,not brighter yellow legs(difficult to assess difference on single bird)
Tertial pattern is DIAGNOSTICCommon has notched edges to all tertials,Spotted has plain tertials with barring confined to tips.
On this bird I believe though photographic burn out is seen at the tertials you can make out the notches.It has certainly a unicolour bill,and wishy-qashy coloured legs,so I would plump for Common Sandpiper.As this is a british summer visitor it is far more likely

:eek!:Common Sandpiper versus Winter/juvenile Spotted Sandpiper is a notoriously difficult one.

there are clues however,my dear Watson.

Spotted Sandpiper bill is "always two-toned"Macmillan Field guide 1990 Harris,Tucker ,and Vinicombe.
Common Sandpiper had dull,not brighter yellow legs(difficult to assess difference on single bird)
Tertial pattern is DIAGNOSTICCommon has notched edges to all tertials,Spotted has plain tertials with barring confined to tips.
On this bird I believe though photographic burn out is seen at the tertials you can make out the notches.It has certainly a unicolour bill,and wishy-qashy coloured legs,so I would plump for Common Sandpiper.As this is a british summer visitor it is far more likely

Thanks guys for the answer, i was hoping for a Spotted but can't argue i love Sandpipers regardless of type.

Thanks for the detailed answer Laruslister thats great!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back