• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spurn online (1 Viewer)

garry1366 said:
Hello,
Sorry but blatant plug here. The new Spurn website is now online. Some pages are still under construction but much of the site is uploaded. It can be found at

www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk

Constructive comments welcome

Cheers
G

Great site Garry, well done to all involved. I shall look forward to checking it often. Very interesting Wagtail photo you got there.

Darrell

Garry many thanks for the info.If you see him give my regards to "Big Dave" just tell him the old boy was asking after him.

POP

Nice website, Garry...

... as long as you use MS Internet Explorer!

On Firefox, none of the images on the homepage load up at all, and none of the links on the navigation bar on the left work (you just get a "Page not found" error).

dbradnum said:
Nice website, Garry...

... as long as you use MS Internet Explorer!

On Firefox, none of the images on the homepage load up at all, and none of the links on the navigation bar on the left work (you just get a "Page not found" error).
Yes, I second this. Any chance of it being fixed please as I do not like anything to do with MS and try to avoid it as far as possible.

David/Andrew,

Unfortunately I'm pretty clueless about website codes, I got a friend to write it and as it's for the Obs (a charity) it cost us nothing. Therefore it is unlikely to be sorted out for other browsers, at least in the short term. You could always just use internet explorer like the other c99% of the population.

Garry

Hi Garry, just tried to download the Friends Of Spurn appn form and got a screen full of cryptic techno gubbins!Never mind I'll pick one up from Kew Villa tomorrow.I am surprised that the £2fiddy-whoops £3!-doesn't go straight to the Obs coffers,but then I forget Spurn isn't just for birders ;)
Great website,fantastic to have an up to date sightings resource.​

Fascinating biography of Barry Spence in the Articles section.

I will always remember the neatly-written graffiti in the Crown and Anchor gents -
'Spence is a hybrid'

Steve

Therefore it is unlikely to be sorted out for other browsers, at least in the short term. You could always just use internet explorer like the other c99% of the population.

Hi Garry, you might want to check browser usage stats before dismissing the wishes of a significant percentage of your site visitors to have the site display correctly in their browser of choice. I also use firefox, so out of 13 current responses to this thread 3 would like to be using firefox.

On the plus side, I've take a look at the HTML and its a fairly simple mistake that the person responsible for creating your site has made. For all the images that are not displaying properly in firefox, back slashes have been used where forward slashes should be. For example, the image on the front page of the site has this code - ..\images\audouins.jpg - whereas it should be this - ../images/audouins.jpg. To correct this problem and make the site appear the same on all browsers is a 5 or 10 minute job, so shouldn't provide too much hassle for the person kind enough to give their time to create the site.

All sites have their teething problems and this is a simple one to solve. I'm sure that with the information you already have on the site and the promise of more to come that your site will be successful and hopefully even a source of revenue for the observatory. To that end, I would suggest making the application form for membership of the friends available in rich text format (rtf) and pdf as well as word document. You can save as rtf directly in word and creating pdf's is easy too. The most reliable way would be to download the completely free open office (openoffice.org) whose word processor allows you to save any word document as a pdf.

Best of luck with the website.

Topmate,

I spoke to "my mate" earlier, I believe he has made some changes to the site which mean it now works with firefox. perhaps you could confirm this is correct. Thanks for your suggestions, I will certainly sort the membership forms out.

Garry

Last edited:
Hi Garry,

Yep, that's nailed it, looks the same in ie and firefox now, nice one on getting it sorted so quickly.

garry1366 said:
I believe he has made some changes to the site which mean it now works with firefox.
Excellent - cheers for sorting this out so quickly. I can only echo what others have said: it's a very good site, and I'm sure will go from strength to strength.

Right thanks for the words of encouragment to all. I'm blown away by the interest so far, over 1100 hits in 6 days. I'm planning an article about peoples best days at Spurn. If you have a really striking day you remember, doesn't have to involve a mega bird just something that really stands out, I'd love you to write a few words. I intend when it is done to include days from local birders, occasional visitors and celebrities/well known birders, so get sending stuff to me please. Also I plan to sort out the gallery soon, I have lots of images of rarities in the 90's so anything from earlier periods would be very welcome. If you contribute and have a website I will gladly put up a link to your site.

G

I have Firefox and it works great, apart from the White's thrush not opening up on the Home Page. Have bookmarked it like the other members and look forward to watching it's progress.

Excellent stuff Garry.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back