• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Square-tailed Kite? (4 Viewers)

Relying completely on google images I don't think it is a Square Tailed Kite (wings look very long (and "floppy") on images of those). Swamp Harrier looks possible, but I don't get a Harrier feeling from your pic, Delia. Little Eagle seems the best fit based on 'jizz' compared to photos to me, but I couldn't find an exact match for the wing position to make any sort of definite guess.

Have you tried the Merlin app with Australia 'pack'? It may bring up the same choices but might rule out 1 or more options.

I tried the app with no luck.

Niels

I also just looked at photos of the species proposed here, and the one I have the least problem fitting is little eagle. I am not convinced that a better photo would not show 6 primaries.

Niels

Delia, if you heard any calls around when you saw the BOP, then the Little Eagle has a distinctive 3 note whistle - pretty much any number of whistles you like as long as it's a multiple of 3!

Usually given when they are doing swoop-de-doos :) however can be at other times (often accompanying an altitude change). Less often is a two note whistle, and I have only ever heard a single whistle once when the LE was starting an attack run on a flock of galahs .....

Here is a recording which may help:
https://ebird.org/species/liteag1

Chosun :gh:

I also just looked at photos of the species proposed here, and the one I have the least problem fitting is little eagle. I am not convinced that a better photo would not show 6 primaries.

Niels
I recognize that the morphology of the wing, regardless of the number of fingers, is more reminiscent of the eagle.
Jean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back