• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squeaking bird at night stoke on Trent Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

VillaRoyale

United Kingdom
Hi there,

My first post 🙂 I came across this site when I was searching the internet to try and identify what is making the noise at night!
I only hear it at night usually around 10-11pm (but maybe just because it is quiet then). We have an owl that I can hear too but not sure what is making this noise, I’m intrigued! I’ve uploaded a video with the sound but there is a lot of static, hopefully you can hear enough to help.

Attachments

• IMG_0645.mov
    12.1 MB
  • IMG_0644.mov
    3.6 MB
The are just videos recorded on my phone… sound needs to be up, I did say there was lots of static!
It's best to load media that is playable here, what you have posted, downloads to a computer, automatically. With respect, nobody knows you here and the files could contain anything.

Without hearing them I would guess at a species of owl. Whilst waiting for an answer try listening to some recordings on xeno-canto.org starting with juvenile Tawny Owl.

It's best to load media that is playable here, what you have posted, downloads to a computer, automatically. With respect, nobody knows you here and the files could contain anything.
Like I said it’s just videos recorded on my iPhone would have no idea how to even change to a different media type to upload as anything else. Just curious about a bird I heard that’s all.
Without hearing them I would guess at a species of owl. Whilst waiting for an answer try listening to some recordings on xeno-canto.org starting with juvenile Tawny Owl.
ah fab thank you! Googled it and it’s a male and female tawny owl. Thank you for the helpful advice

'Sqeaking' would suggest Long-eared Pat?
Certainly would hope so but I have heard a similar call amongst our local Tawnies over the years. Sadly no evidence of breeding owls in or around our village this year. Hope its not too hot out there at the moment.

You can convert your files using a free online converter (just type: 'convert mov to mp3/wav/...', in your browser).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back