• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stercorarius en Lanzarote a identificar ( Canarias ) (1 Viewer)

juancar dieguez

Hello, I have this Stercorarius photographed in Lanzarote, in December 2019.

At first I thought about Stercorarius skua, but it seems to me that his neck is light tones and it misleads me ...

Attachments

• IMG_0037 (2).JPG
    IMG_0037 (2).JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0038 (2).JPG
    IMG_0038 (2).JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 92
The images are a bit tricky but it feels like an Arctic Skua to me Juancar, particularly with that bill that looks pretty slender which favours that species, but others with more recent skua experiences will hopefully help with this one!

The images are a bit tricky but it feels like an Arctic Skua to me Juancar, particularly with that bill that looks pretty slender which favours that species, but others with more recent skua experiences will hopefully help with this one!
Well, I wasn't going to comment on the id ( ;-) ), but certainly the thin bill probably a result of the image quality and being 'blown'

My thought was "this is a great skua: the thin bill is a photo artefact. But hold up: the Atlantic coast of Spain/Portugal etc gets things like South Polar Skua so I don't know how you'd rule those out from these images. I imagine any large skua like this is rare around the Canaries [but I don't know if that's true]"

My thought was "this is a great skua: the thin bill is a photo artefact. But hold up: the Atlantic coast of Spain/Portugal etc gets things like South Polar Skua so I don't know how you'd rule those out from these images. I imagine any large skua like this is rare around the Canaries [but I don't know if that's true]"
Given the December date, would SPS be expected to have returned South for the austral summer? Maybe some non-breeding birds linger?

I saw a Bonxie on my one and only ferry crossing in the Canaries, so I don't suppose they are unusual there.

Given the December date, would SPS be expected to have returned South for the austral summer? Maybe some non-breeding birds linger?

I saw a Bonxie on my one and only ferry crossing in the Canaries, so I don't suppose they are unusual there.
Fine. I think my point is that I'm not certain we can rule out other species given the quality of the image. If we're happy to go on time of year, balance of probability etc then it's great skua

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back