• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stiff focusing (2 Viewers)

Dan Hebl

United States
Hello,

Just got these 7x42 BT* around Thanksgiving and they are great except for the focusing is really stiff. Would a light grease on the moving part of the body be a solution? I drew red circles on the picture to show what I am thinking. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
1BDA9A90-BBDC-4E33-BA6A-2FDE08B2EE5F.jpeg

Hi Dan,
It's unlikely that greasing the tubes will help, though I don't think it would hurt to try. IMO the stiffness is likely caused by hardened grease inside the axle. If that's the case, owing to the age of your venerable 7x42s, a trip to a binocular repair shop is in order. There's a good chance cleaning the interior glass will result in a slightly better view.

I wouldn't try to rub grease on the tubes. It's the inside parts of the focuser. The grease has congealed and stiffened, it needs to be cleaned off and replaced on older Dialyts. Just had a pair into Zeiss recently and the result was excellent, silky-smooth focusing restored. Apparently they also replaced some of the inner parts of it too, it's well worth the cost IMO. They'll be good for another 20-30 years afterwards.

Congrats on taking delivery of a fine classic binocular! Ironically I have the exact opposite issue - I would like the focus of my Zeiss Jena 12x50B to be (considerably) stiffer!

I think the key bit is where the focus wheel and bridge meet the central axle of the binocular (as Foss notes - and as he says, you may have to disassemble the bridge and remove hardened grease etc). You may be able to accomplish this if you are better at opening things up (and putting them together, the really important bit!) than I am. But given the age of the binocular it could be worth getting it professionally serviced. I know my own 7x42 benefited from it.

Enjoy your new acquisition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back