• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stilt Sandpipers?? Plum Island, MA (1 Viewer)

TKbird

Hello,

I made my first trip to Plum Island yesterday and captured this video which I'm hoping contains some Stilt Sandpipers. The main bird of interest is the one preening in the middle, but the four around it look the same (as well as the bird ten/eleven to its right).

While I'm posting this video, if anyone can help me out with the leftmost smaller bird or pick out any Long-billed Dowitchers that would also be much appreciated! I'm only confident about both yellowlegs and SB Dowitcher in this video.

Best,
TKbird

Attachments

• DSCN4102-00.00.09.542-00.00.10.910-seg1.MP4
    17.8 MB
  • DSCN4102-00.01.21.347-00.01.23.061-seg4.MP4
    18.2 MB
  • DSCN4102-00.01.07.200-00.01.08.635-seg3.MP4
    14.5 MB
  • DSCN4102-00.00.39.773-00.00.41.107-seg2.MP4
    19.2 MB
Stilt Sandpipers. The main bird of interest is the one preening in the middle, but the four around it look the same
Yes, all those. Apparently adults moulting to non-breeding (dark blotches of old breeding feathers on upperparts).

as well as the bird ten/eleven to its right
I think you mean the rightmost bird in vids 1 and 4 - in which case, yes. Same blotchy look.

anyone can help me out with the leftmost smaller bird
I don't know which you mean. Which vid?

Enjoy your dowitchers - I'm off... :)

Yes, all those. Apparently adults moulting to non-breeding (dark blotches of old breeding feathers on upperparts).
Thank you thank you!! Life bird and one of my target species for the day!
I don't know which you mean. Which vid?
It's obscured by a dowitcher in two videos, but visible in the two containing -00.01!
Enjoy your dowitchers - I'm off...
Haha not to worry.

The near bird on the far left in the second and third video is a juvenile Stilt Sandpiper, note the scaly appearance. Dowitchers all look like Short-billed to me, note the marked tertials of the juvenile birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back